Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 10:34   #91
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 273
Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

Currently upgrading to Open CPN (Raymarine radar, no fixed plotter aboard). May I please have some recs on 10" and 12" tablets?

Inland/Coastal waterways. Also, cheaper vs moderate - expensive (as it will get use off the boat too and I excel at loosing or breaking phones!).

Muchos Gracias,
SC
__________________

__________________
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:59   #92
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,334
Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Currently upgrading to Open CPN (Raymarine radar, no fixed plotter aboard). May I please have some recs on 10" and 12" tablets?

Inland/Coastal waterways. Also, cheaper vs moderate - expensive (as it will get use off the boat too and I excel at loosing or breaking phones!).

Muchos Gracias,
SC
I don't know of any tablets that are daylight viewable unless Panasonic makes a tablet version of their very expensive, heavy duty, mil-spec laptop.

If you don't need to use nav in the cockpit then it seems iPads and Samsungs are the tablets most commonly used.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 13:51   #93
Head in a locker
 
Cavalier's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Posts: 860
Images: 1
Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I don't know of any tablets that are daylight viewable unless Panasonic makes a tablet version of their very expensive, heavy duty, mil-spec laptop.



If you don't need to use nav in the cockpit then it seems iPads and Samsungs are the tablets most commonly used.
Surface works well in daylight. I'd agree that the iPad is not sunlight viewable (at least in the tropics), and was one of the reasons I ended up ditching the iPad as a navigational backup/aid. Under a bimini it's ok-ish.. otherwise not.
__________________
"By day the hot sun fermented us; and we were dizzied by the beating wind. At night we were stained by dew, and shamed into pettiness by the innumerable silences of stars."
Cavalier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 10:49   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 273
Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

Thanks Spipmac and Cavalier. Definitely would not go with an Ipad (for the reason you mention and more).

Anyone else have a recommendation? Outside the typical big brands (Apple, Samsung)?
__________________
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 12:24   #95
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,189
Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

I like the SurfacePro, we use it under the dodger and can see it from the helm. In heavy seas and rain, it goes below!

This is very workable but I'd prefer a brighter screen and a waterproof device for outside. Since we got b&g 4g radar and chartplotter, we run the surfacepro inside with opencpn, as I use it for travel too and would not like to damage it.
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 10:46   #96
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 273
Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

Thanks! What model do you have? You haven't found any waterproof cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I like the SurfacePro, we use it under the dodger and can see it from the helm. In heavy seas and rain, it goes below!

This is very workable but I'd prefer a brighter screen and a waterproof device for outside. Since we got b&g 4g radar and chartplotter, we run the surfacepro inside with opencpn, as I use it for travel too and would not like to damage it.
__________________
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 11:48   #97
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,189
Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Thanks! What model do you have? You haven't found any waterproof cases?
SurfacePro3 with keyboard and I use an Inatek 3 usb + gig ethernet hub and label all devices location (gps, dAISy ais, ST Tiny Link for Raymarine Seatalk Instruments)

I set the display on bright and have a button in the taskbar for "Presentation Mode"

I have not looked for a wp cover.
Not so sure this fits "cheap"
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 12:39   #98
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 1,686
Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

Careful with the MS Surface in a tropical environment. Ours corroded so bad that the back looked like sand paper after a year. The only button that still worked was the power button (probably cause its pressed regularily).

I used to recommend them heavily.. Now I no longer recommend them.
__________________

__________________
travellerw is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheap, monitor

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Raymarine Daylight Visible Display Thanna5 Classifieds Archive 0 09-11-2010 21:53
Searching for a Cheap 12vdc LED-Backlit LCD Monitor TrevC Marine Electronics 9 09-12-2009 09:25
Daylight Saving Time 2007 FrankZ Marine Electronics 18 19-02-2007 16:51
Daylight Saving Time GordMay General Sailing Forum 1 19-08-2005 22:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.