Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 17:49   #1

Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

My first post here as a new member. However, I have done due-diligence with the search function. Also, I have exhausted my queries in other forums, such as The Hull Truth, for what's that worth.

I am seeking a high-brightness monitor (10"-15" would be fine) suitable to run OpenCPN from a computer I already own.

The monitor would be running in a pilothouse situation, where high-brightness would be the norm, but would be more like daylight-viewable rather than sunlight-viewable. Also, splash-proofing is of secondary importance...I really don't want to pay for IP7 intrusion protection, since it adds dramatically to the cost of a monitor.

I'm really looking for a 10"-15" LCD monitor, with at least 1000 nits of brightness. Voltage is not important...12vdc would be good, but I'm OK with running the monitor via inverter.

Suggestions would be appreciated...my goal is a functional LCD monitor with high brightness, but with a low price tag, keeping in mind that it will be used only in a high-humidity situation, but with very limited (or, no) potential for splash.

I find many "marine" LCD monitors, with obscene price tags...I'm looking for something very well under the $1000 price-point, otherwise, I'll just buy the Simrad MFD of my dreams...

Thanks, and please forgive if this is a newbie question that I couldn't resolve with the search function.
Karl in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 19:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Need Cheap, Daylight-Viewable monitor...

Karl....

Welcome aboard.

I use 2 cheap 19" 250 NIT LCD monitors in the wheelhouse of my pilothouse trawler. Works fine, and very rarely do I wish it were brighter.
At this price point ($< 200), I keep a spare aboard, but it is unused so far.

I find that 1000 NIT monitors run hot, and that cannot be good for them long term....

Tip: When evaluating LCD monitors, don't forget to wear your horizontally polarized sunglasses.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 19:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I also looked long and hard for a reasonably priced (gave up on cheap, just reasonable), daylight viewable monitor and struck out. FINALLY, found used Panasonic toughbook screens on eBay. Actually someone on the forum found them and mentioned it in one of the threads and whoever that was, thank you, thank you.

Model CF-VDL02. Think it was abotu 12". Set it up in direct sunlight and could read it just fine. Uses a standard VGA connection so a long VGA cord to the PC is all you need. Power calls for 19V but I got it to run find on 12V except it would shut down if I tried to use the max brightness setting which I didn't need anyway.

Paid $40 for mine. Find of the year when compared to the new marine grade screens.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 21:22   #4

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

The Samsung LEDs fit your price range at $200 for the 20" model, but larger than you say. Power consumption at 2A may be a bit much for some vessels. Some advantages if you want a multi-use monitor?

The wide viewing angle is useful.

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...X2431_DSHT.pdf

I assume the 20" uses the same 12v power source as my 23".

An alternative might be to use a NetBook.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 22:28   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
The Samsung LEDs fit your price range at $200 for the 20" model, but larger than you say. Power consumption at 2A may be a bit much for some vessels. Some advantages if you want a multi-use monitor?

The wide viewing angle is useful.

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...X2431_DSHT.pdf

I assume the 20" uses the same 12v power source as my 23".

An alternative might be to use a NetBook.
A daylight viewable is defined different by different manufacturers, but most put it at about 1000 NITs. The Samsung you link to has 250 NITs. Doesn't qualify as daylight viewable.

FYI: Sunlight viewable is usually defined as 1500-1800.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 05:15   #6

Thanks for the input. I definitely have ruled-out monitors in the 250-nit class.

I'm looking at Panasonic CF-VDL02 monitors (1200 nit), but there seem to be different model variations. All the ones used on eBay use RGB analog inputs rather than VGA. I have seen new (expensive) CF-VDL02 monitors which specify VGA input.

How much of a disadvantage is the RGB? I don't believe a computer VGA output can be changed to RGB with just a cable...isn't some sort of adapter needed?
Old 28-04-2011, 05:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl in NY View Post
Thanks for the input. I definitely have ruled-out monitors in the 250-nit class.

I'm looking at Panasonic CF-VDL02 monitors (1200 nit), but there seem to be different model variations. All the ones used on eBay use RGB analog inputs rather than VGA. I have seen new (expensive) CF-VDL02 monitors which specify VGA input.

How much of a disadvantage is the RGB? I don't believe a computer VGA output can be changed to RGB with just a cable...isn't some sort of adapter needed?
The input on the monitor I purchased on eBay is labeled RGB but the connector is a 15 pin, female, standard VGA type plug. I bought a 15' VGA monitor extension cord, connected to a standard Dell laptop and the screen fired right up.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 14:40   #8

Re: Need: Cheap, Daylight-Viewable Monitor

I'm currently negotiating with a seller to buy a surplused CF-VDL02 monitor...most of those available on eBay have cosmetic problems, like LCD screen scratches, understandable since they're retired cop-car displays.

Another issue: the touch-screen on the CF-VDL02 uses a RS232 serial comm port interface, which is a dinosaur...few laptops or netbooks offer a serial port anymore...strictly a legacy port...

Can the RS232 be converted to a USB interface, with either hardware, software, or both? Or, is this like beating a dead equine?

Really, the only thing attractive about the VDL02 is the 1200 nits, and the price. Both of which will probably seal a deal for me...
Old 29-04-2011, 16:18   #9
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
I'm currently negotiating with a seller to buy a surplused CF-VDL02 monitor...most of those available on eBay have cosmetic problems, like LCD screen scratches, understandable since they're retired cop-car displays.

Another issue: the touch-screen on the CF-VDL02 uses a RS232 serial comm port interface, which is a dinosaur...few laptops or netbooks offer a serial port anymore...strictly a legacy port...

Can the RS232 be converted to a USB interface, with either hardware, software, or both? Or, is this like beating a dead equine?

Really, the only thing attractive about the VDL02 is the 1200 nits, and the price. Both of which will probably seal a deal for me...
There are many "serial to USB" converters. Kinda a misnomer since USB is also serial, but that's what most people call them. I use my old Garmin III and V through a prolific adapter. You can easily find them in the $15-$20 range. The drivers that come with them present a virtual COM port to the OS.

The bigger question will be if the later versions of whatever OS you are using has a driver that will actually work with your touchscreen.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 17:00   #10

Both my available netbook and laptop run Win XP Pro...looks like the Panasonic touch screen drivers for this monitor are compatible with the XP OS...

I'm actually thinking I will be running Fugawi ENC (to take advantage of Navionics Platinum+ charts), rather than OpenCPN...touch-screen will be a non-issue, since it's not supported by Fugawi, yet, anyhow.

Rumors from panbo.com suggest that there will be major overhauls to Fugawi very soon, however...
Old 30-04-2011, 13:07   #11

I have just negotiated a purchase for a CF-VDL02, supposedly with perfect LCD screen, since all these particular cop cars had screen-protectors installed when they were new...we shall see.

The seller has more CF-VDL02 monitors, power supplies, vehicle mounts, and Toughbook keyboards...he was trying to sell these as complete systems, but now is considering selling individual items of the Toughbook vehicle system...

If/when I get my first CF-VDL02 monitor from that seller, I will post my results here...if it works out, the CF-VDL02 is a major bargain in terms of a cheap, daylight-readable monitor...

I'm holding my breath...I have been seriously disapointed before on deals like this...
Old 30-04-2011, 22:25   #12

Boat: Najad391

Quote:
I have just negotiated a purchase for a CF-VDL02, supposedly with perfect LCD screen, since all these particular cop cars had screen-protectors installed when they were new...we shall see.

The seller has more CF-VDL02 monitors, power supplies, vehicle mounts, and Toughbook keyboards...he was trying to sell these as complete systems, but now is considering selling individual items of the Toughbook vehicle system...

If/when I get my first CF-VDL02 monitor from that seller, I will post my results here...if it works out, the CF-VDL02 is a major bargain in terms of a cheap, daylight-readable monitor...

I'm holding my breath...I have been seriously disapointed before on deals like this...
I bought mine on ebay for a couple of months ago. You can of coarse see that the display is used but it works very well in daylight. The negative is that it use a lot of Amps. Running on 12 VDC is critical so a power supply that increase the voltage is necessary. One is on its way from US (13.5 to 16.2 VDC), so we will see what happens when it will be connected.
janp391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 00:16   #13

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

I just brought a samsung LCD .. viewable easilly in daylight and has lots of groovy extras! 32" and cost me 500 usd new so something 19" should be very affordable!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:38   #14
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For inside the boat we just have a normal Acer wide flat screen monitor... it works fine...

Welcome aboard, BTW!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 15:02   #15

The eBay VDL02 display I bought turned out to be a disappointment in several ways, mostly condition.

I'm now back on the original hunt: affordable, high-nit 10-12" display (non-waterproof)...

Tags
cheap, monitor