Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 09:48   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Need affordable charts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
I mentioned Navionics too (I only paid $15 for mine . What is your though on using, "for reference only" charts for navigation purposes. Is it just legal disclaimer? Do you have a leg to stand on in the event of an incident?
Any charts you buy other than government issue charts will come with this disclaimer.

For private, recreational vessels, of the tonage classes typical of cruising boats, this is not a practical issue. Not the same requirements are larger/commercial vessels. Many cruising boats out there who rely primarily on private issue electronic charts these days and I've never heard of a single resulting legal issue. Anyone else ever hear of an issue?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 10:03   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Thanks. They must've changed the app. Now, to add charts to the available, one has to either buy a chart kit through the app, or add the serial # of the purchased kit.

Either that, or I'm doing it wrong...
OK. Possibly they had a free download everything teaser when they took off last year that later was removed from the App. Quite common on Play.

I do not know how much they charge but their charts are good. Easy to read and as accurate as anything else in this area. My fave by far.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

And this systems is not called Ecdis - but PLECDIS = Paperless electronic chart system - always redurant approved systems. / Petter
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts