Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 05:44   #76

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Navico radar plugin v2.0 released

Merrimac, Hakan and Douwe, your work has forged well ahead of the plugin documentation.

Merrimac had written a completely new documentation on the O wiki, but then some gremlin or person wiped it out, before the wayback machine had done a monthly save.

(@Dave or @Pavel - I am wondering if the backup for the opencpn.org website has this work saved?)

Subsequently Merrimac started a 3 part user manual on github wiki. I have copied his first section to the O wiki. The other two sections remain to be completed.

We need some USER Volunteers, not guys who program, to step up to the plate and complete this documentation. Please get in touch with the Radar Team and lend a shoulder to the wheel!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:51   #77

Boat: Najad 34

@All
This is to inform more about coming plugin features. In extension to my earlier report: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2264058 about MARPA implementation now also ARPA is ongoing and functional in our simulated test environment.
MARPA is when you manually mark a radar target and want it to act similar as an AIS target on OCPN screen.
ARPA is when the radar plugin automatically detect radar targets and send them to OCPN.
ARPA targets will be detected within zones using the same technic as guard alarm zones.
If an ARPA target is also detected by OCPN as an AIS target the AIS symbol will override and the ARPA symbol will be hidden.

On attached screenshot two zones are marked as ARPA zones. One circle around own ship and one arc looking forward. Some ARPA targets are detected and one MARPA target is also shown.

Next step is true tests on board. Neither Douwe's, main coder for this feature, boat nor my own are usable in this winter season. So if anyone would like to help testing the (M)ARPA functions live a Windows setup is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ARPA-win32.exe
It'll work on OCPN 4.4 but ARPA targets quick deletion and hiding needs a OCPN update that's in the pool for v4.5.
If you like you can test my OCPN 4.5 version where BR24Radar_pi is included in the setup file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...BR24_setup.exe
Any test reports are of course much appreciated.

Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arpa2.PNG
Views:	182
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	138780  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:57   #78

For info is the ARPA logic slightly updated. Not less to avoid double symbols for one target.
The above links are also updated and if you would like to build for Linux and/or Mac is the source here: https://github.com/douwefokkema/BR24radar_pi/tree/arpa1
Håkan
Old 07-01-2017, 14:49   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I apologize in advance for newby questions.

I run OpenCPN on Windows 10 laptop.

I found Neptune's Gear 2013 post saying he connected directly from 3G into laptop running OpenCPN. He then had waterproof display in cockpit wifi connected to laptop. Sounds like he has no other display. Sounds good.

I also found 2016 post in this thread by Neptune's
Gear saying his 3G radar died just out of warranty and needed replacement. I found another post saying they had 3G die because not waterproofed dome (sounds like misinstallation).

Question #1 - Are others running 3G and 4G directly to laptops with no multi function displays?

Question #2 - I am not so concerned about overlay. Is it possible to just see the radar output with North Up?

Question #3 Does a 3G or 4G radar display North Up?

Question #4 Is there any demonstrations on YouTube showing operations of radar on OpenCPN?
(I found a 26 second video and Matt's video but in both cases they showed only finished product. Radar overlayed. They do not show how to get to finished product nor operating radar itself to zoom in/out, guard ring, and alarm. )

Question #5 I followed link to this cable adapter. What is it for? Is one side round to go to radar and otherside standard Ethernet to plug in computer? A Yellow F means nothing to me.

store.navico.com/Products/000-10438-001

Question #6 Most Lowrance domes on Ebay have only a 10 meter cable, and many Simrad domes have 20 meters. I will need 20 meters easy. Vendors sell a separate 20 meter cable for about $176 is this to extend these other cables?

Question #7 Are others having early solid state radar failures?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 22:26   #80

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

See answers below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Question #1 - Are others running 3G and 4G directly to laptops with no multi function displays?

Yes, I have a 4G into Small computer, laptop as backup.

Question #2 - I am not so concerned about overlay. Is it possible to just see the radar output with North Up?

Yes

Question #3 Does a 3G or 4G radar display North Up?
Yes, you need position and a good heading source(not GPS heading)

Question #4 Is there any demonstrations on YouTube showing operations of radar on OpenCPN?
(I found a 26 second video and Matt's video but in both cases they showed only finished product. Radar overlayed. They do not show how to get to finished product nor operating radar itself to zoom in/out, guard ring, and alarm. )

You can run the RADAR plugin in a demo mode without a scanner (check the "Emulator Mode" box in the plugin preferences) a test pattern will be displayed.

Question #5 I followed link to this cable adapter. What is it for? Is one side round to go to radar and otherside standard Ethernet to plug in computer? A Yellow F means nothing to me.

store.navico.com/Products/000-10438-001

?

Question #6 Most Lowrance domes on Ebay have only a 10 meter cable, and many Simrad domes have 20 meters. I will need 20 meters easy. Vendors sell a separate 20 meter cable for about $176 is this to extend these other cables?

The cables I have seen are replacements, not extensions. The cable is just power and Ethernet, if you bring the standard cable below deck it can be extended easily.

Question #7 Are others having early solid state radar failures?

My 4G is working.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 00:16   #81

I have it connected to a PC only and running overlay.

My BR24 is probably one of the first broadband delivered. What i know it has really been running a lot. I bought it second hand.

And to emphasize JM's cable advise; The connections are not like old radars sending video signals. Its power (black-, red & yellow +) and a standard Ethernet cable. To withstand mechanical stress you may choose a shield one.
Håkan
Old 28-01-2017, 08:55   #82

Boat: Mevagissy lugger

Hi Merrimac and all other developers,

Here a happy user of opencpn from the beginning. Unfortunately i do not have much to contribute (except for a small donation for a radar a few years ago) to opencpn, so i have been a lurker on this forum for a looooooong time. BUT the time has come to get out of my floating cave and join an existing request concerning the Radar plugin.
As i installed a Navico Halo radar i would like to join ejs in the request for making the plugin ready for the Halo radar.
I know you guys are very very busy and getting alot of requests; but Halo radar overlay on OPENCPN would just be super!

Best regards and thanks for all the hard work.

Jeroen
The Netherlands
Lugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 05:53   #83

Jeroen...
I know Merrimac is rather busy at work but I'll try to make an answer at least:
Reading what M wrote about it last time and in the wiki, BR24 Radar [OpenCPN Books], it's worth a try using present plugin v 2.1.
I understand your text as you already have a Halo connected to a MFD?
If so, split the Ethernet connection, scanner->MFD, via a switch and connect it to both the MFD and to OCPN and BR24Radar_pi. If I understand it correct you'll at least see the radar picture but all radar commands are not the same as for 3G/4G. For example you have another radar antenna speed and a parking function. These are of course not implemented in BR24Radar_pi.

Håkan
Old 30-01-2017, 12:43   #84
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hello,

2.1 did not work with my Halo system. I sent some ethernet scans using Wireshark to Merrimac. after looking at them he said that the Halo uses a different set of ethernet addresses than the 3G/4G systems. He said it wouldn't be hard to use the data I sent to make it work with the Halo, but it might take a while as he was very busy. So we are waiting for a new upgrade beyond 2.1

Best, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 05:02   #85

Boat: KM Yachts Makkum Bestevaer 53

hello,

has anyone tried to connect Opencpn radar pi via the GoFree WiFi switch in stead of an "extra switch"? The GoFree has a spare network port available. My installation is: 4G, Ri10, GoFree, Simrad NSS12.

Thank you!
STAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 10:27   #86

Stayer.
No I've non of these gadgets so not tried but it depends on what Simrad is passing to that Ethernet port. To get it to work as a network switch more then one Ethernet will be required? And whatever Simrad sends on the wifi, that one is not capable to transfer radar data, if that was the question. See more about wifi here: BR24 Radar [OpenCPN Books]
Håkan
Old 02-02-2017, 12:02   #87

Boat: Mevagissy lugger

Hi Hakan,

Thank you for your response.
At the moment i run the Halo radar by a dedicated screen (R2009) and is not connected to a mfd. I really would love to avoid a mfd. But if it is really needed, then i will have to go down that road. I received also a mesage from Douwe, and within a few weeks i will contact him and see what is possible and what/how i can contribute. As i understand (at least) basic programming knowledge of C++ is necessary to change the ethernet adresses, so i will dive in C++ first and will most probably enjoy a very steep learning curve..

Jeroen
Lugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 13:07   #88

Jeroen
Nice, Douwe can for sure fix a lot.
Ethernet address is normally not a problem. That will be found by the plugin. But let's see what will happen next.
Håkan
Old 02-02-2017, 19:20   #89
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hi,
I have run the Halo radar data through the GoFree WiFi device to collect the data that showed that the ethernet addresses were different.

You do need to change a setting in the GoFree to allow multicast data (blocked by default) Simrad has an App note on how to do that. I think it is called advanced setup for the GoFree or something like that.

Since the ethernet addresses were not the same as the 3G/4G units I could not tell if the Gofree is actually fast enough to produce a good radar image over WiFi. It likely will be if you restrict it to using the fastest modes only. If you don't do that it will default to the slowest device connected, which may not do.

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 23:43   #90

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
@All

Next step is true tests on board....So if anyone would like to help testing the (M)ARPA functions live a Windows setup is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ARPA-win32.exe
It'll work on OCPN 4.4 but ARPA targets quick deletion and hiding needs a OCPN update that's in the pool for v4.5.
If you like you can test my OCPN 4.5 version where BR24Radar_pi is included in the setup file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...BR24_setup.exe
Any test reports are of course much appreciated.

Håkan
Bought a new Navico cable, cut it, crimped Ethernet connectors, plugged into a new E-switch only to get a 404-return from dropbox :-(

G4+Zeus²+more Navico stuff

but I am not happy with the Zeus², anything but logic, if one could hack it and implement openCPN, much better. Most annoying hunting the menu-button! How the hell they can make the most important button so small?

However, is there still a way to join (M)ARPA-testing? I used it on Raymarine before, never on NAVICO as their logic is so stupid, tap a boat and then run through a hell of menu buttons

And of course, gratulatios for a sophisticated work, openCPN as well as the radar-plugin & all the others

Heinrich
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, navico, plug, radar