Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 12:00   #1

Boat: Roberts 345 (modified)
Navico Radar Plugin + heading problem

We having a big problem after upgrading OpenCPN and the Navico Radar Plugin.

We currently run OpenCPN 4.2.0 and Navico Radar Plugin 1.3.2. on Windows 10.

When we plan on hoisting the anchor we check that everything is working fine. The chart and radar overlay look pretty ok.

But when we are moving the heading is all wrong. Well it's wrong exactly as much as our magnetic declination.

In the settings I have disabled COG as heading. But when I was testing this on our last leg, I enable COG as heading and it didn't change anything.

Hope someone has a solution for us. I would hate to go back to older versions, but we do need our radar to be reliable.

Johanna Vesalainen
Jonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:09   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Navico Radar Plugin + heading problem

Is the WMM plug-in enabled?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Is the WMM plug-in enabled?
No, it's not. Should it be?

Our heading in OpenCPN is true heading. I mean there is declination coming from GPS and our magnetic heading sensor then gives us true heading.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:20   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

I would try it.
The Radar plug-in experts will know exactly which NMEA sentence is used for alignment.

You can also use the NMEA debug window (or the VDR plug-in) to observe the sentences with or without WMM working.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:47   #5

OpenCPN gets this from our system

$HCHDG,112.3,0.0,E,,*28
$HCHDT,97.7,T*10

But Radar Plugin shows that it has HDM
Old 05-07-2016, 21:30   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

If you are able, please try the beta version (radarwindow).
Many problems have been resolved, and new features added.
I don't know if your particular problem has been resolved, but if not, please post it as an issue on GitHub. Outstanding bugs are being dealt with very quickly.

I think the new version is almost ready to be released.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:57   #7

Boat: Najad 34

Jonna...
As BCN said, Please activate plugin wmm_pi and check for differences.
I think a HDM or HDG + variation from wmm_pi is somewhat prioritized over HDT. Now you've both HDG and HDT but HDG without variation( and no wmm_pi?).
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Jonna...
As BCN said, Please activate plugin wmm_pi and check for differences.
I think a HDM or HDG + variation from wmm_pi is somewhat prioritized over HDT. Now you've both HDG and HDT but HDG without variation( and no wmm_pi?).
Håkan
I activated wmm_pi. Radar info changed so, that it before variation came from GPS now WMM. The heading is still HDM.

Everything look osk, like it always does when we are not moving. Shore is where it's supposed to be.

But I'll know more, when we move. Maybe in a few days to the next bay...

In the mean time I might as well try the beta plugin for radar.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:48   #9

Boat: Najad 34

Jonni.,
In the log and control window Br24Radar_pi always says it found a HDM as long a true heading is available from OCPN even if the source is HDT, HDG + wmm variation etc.

You may of course try the the new beta, there are some new features but there are also still some small bugs, at least in Windows. And for he last updates you've to build from source.
Good luck/ Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 13:10   #10

Håkan,

Good to know about it always showing HDM. This was a bit confusing, since we don't have this sentence on our network. Our NMEA routers don't send all the sentences from all the devices. There would just be so much traffic

The new beta for the plugin is looking good, but I guess I'll go back to the released version. Just in case, I don't want to come up with new problems.

And I don't want to bother my husband to build the latest version. My laptop doesn't have the necessary tools installed
Old 14-08-2017, 12:32   #11

Here we go again.

OpenCPN 4.6.0 and Navico Radar Plugin 2.1

We had not used our radar for a very long time. The picture is again wrong exactly as much as the variation is. Last time we used the radar on a passage from Lesser Antilles to ABC-islands and the variation changed on the way and so did the error in the picture.

Plugin shows our correct HDT. It also shows variation either from our GPS or from the VMM. It does not matter which one I use it's the same.

What could be done that the plugin would stop changing our heading which is already true heading?

Johanna
Old 15-08-2017, 11:43   #12

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
Here we go again.

OpenCPN 4.6.0 and Navico Radar Plugin 2.1

We had not used our radar for a very long time. The picture is again wrong exactly as much as the variation is. Last time we used the radar on a passage from Lesser Antilles to ABC-islands and the variation changed on the way and so did the error in the picture.

Plugin shows our correct HDT. It also shows variation either from our GPS or from the VMM. It does not matter which one I use it's the same.

What could be done that the plugin would stop changing our heading which is already true heading?

Johanna
Luckily I have a magic ball that I can look into and magically see what your setup is.

Without kidding, many users have no issues with this so there is something different about your setup. Please upload your opencpn.log, preferably a short one with "Verbose" set to 1 (edit the opencpn.ini or opencpn.conf file manually, and look for the Verbose flag) as well as a screenshot of the radar info window.

The plugin prefers the heading data coming from the radar, which is typically magnetic unless you have a GPS compass only. This is because it is more likely to be a fast heading (10 Hz) which helps with the stabilized displays such as North Up or Course Up as well as drawing the overlay.

*IF* you get a radar overlay on the chart the plugin *HAS* derived a true heading.

If you have no chartplotter, did you perform a heading correction for the radome (Advanced > Installation > Bearing Alignment)?
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 12:53   #13

I'd like to have that magic ball, too

We have not moved and we have not even turned the radar on since my last post. Now I turn it on and the picture is perfect. This situation sounds good, but we need to have a reliable radar. Since nothing has changed, there has to be something that triggers the error on and off...

We had this before with previous version that when we were anchored everything was fine, but when we were moving the picture changed. We'll be sailing to the neighboring island in two weeks, so then we can test this thing again.

I'm pretty sure we don't have the most common setup.

Our heading comes from Airmar heading sensor, GPS comes from Furuno GP-39. The radar is the 3G model. (AIS and autopilot are also connected, but they should have nothing to do with this.) We don't have a plotter, only OpenCPN.

The bearing alignment is not the problem. On our last passage the error changed as did our variation.

(I changed the filename of the .loglog to a .doc, since .log was not accepted and as .txt it was too big to be accepted)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radarinfo.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	154535  
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (56.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 21-08-2017, 14:07   #14

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Please repeat upload when it is incorrect. Try different headings.

We invest many man hours in this plugin but it remains a hobby, and we hope it is useful, but there is NO warranty, and we can't do much if it does not work and you are unable to give us enough information. Remarks such as "we must have a reliable radar" are not very helpful and are not likely to make us work harder.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 14:27   #15

I'm sorry. I'll rephrase, we'd like to have as reliable radar as possible
I have done my share of volunteer work and I know what it feels like when people start to be too demanding...

On our way here I also tried the HDM, but the result was exactly the same.

When we sail to Bonaire, I'll test some more.

I really appreciate all the people who put time to OpenCPN and all the plug-ins. I know it's a hobby and there are no guarantees.

When we 2 years ago decided to get a new radar, we wanted to get rid of the old big display. We don't have a chartplotter and it would be waste of money and space to buy it just as a display for the radar. And then we also would not have the charts in it so it would be kind of like old radar
(And we are also nerds, so we like to have everything going over ethernet to all the computers)

Tags
head, navico, plug, radar