Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 08:24   #16
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Navico Radar plugin beta 3.816 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Crowdin is previous week updated to reflect the very recent code changes. There are a few new translations to add after that upload. (EE, FI, SE are 100% ready)
Thanks for your help.
Håkan
German is done - are there German users??
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:25   #17

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
German is done - are there German users??
Thanks Hubert.
I don't know if there are German users and I can't remember any such contact. And there's, what I know, no available statistics from Opencpn.org/downloads where we can count loads from different areas or locations in the world?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:13   #18
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
ejs:
Are you using wifi to transmit Radar to OpenCPN devices?
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...r24_radar#wifi
Reports are that it is slow...

Can you explain how you are using the GoFree wifi with Halo and why you needed multicast and full rate data transmission? My understanding is the Halo is hardwired ethernet similar to the BR24, 3G & 4G Broadband radars. However your setup & experience may be helpful to others.
Yes, I am using a GoFree WiFi to transmit halo radar data to a PC running openCPN quite successfully. It has not been slow at all (No missing radar spokes with both ranges running) after I enabled the multicast mode in the GoFree router. Based on the info in the advanced set-up guide from Simrad, multicast is disabled by default to keep the radar data from clogging the GoFree bandwidth in case you have many devices using the router. Since the radar data is really what I want, I enabled multicast and the radar data passes through at high speed. I have also made sure there are no slow WiFi devices on the net as the router defaults to the slowest transmission rate of any connected device.

My GoFree is hardwired to the radar control box, and hardwired to the chart plotter, but is wireless to the OpenCPN PC (Windows 10, 802.11N) The usual connection is to hardwire directly from the radar box to the chartplotter, but the GoFree passes the traffic correctly (as it should)
I can control the radar from either the PC or the chartplotter. The display changes on both displays when I make a change on either one. I see no reason the set-up shouldn't work with the other Simrad radars and other Wifi Routers as long as multicast can be enabled.

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:07   #19

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

The final beta (complete except for translations) is here!

Navico radar plugin v3.0 beta3 (v3.907) released - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 13:35   #20

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Nice, so a B&G or Simrad "Go-Free" wifi can be used instead of cutting into the Radar Cable and rewiring. Thank you.
--Added Gofree to manual under Wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Yes, I am using a GoFree WiFi to transmit halo radar data to a PC running openCPN quite successfully. It has not been slow at all (No missing radar spokes with both ranges running) after I enabled the multicast mode in the GoFree router. Based on the info in the advanced set-up guide from Simrad, multicast is disabled by default to keep the radar data from clogging the GoFree bandwidth in case you have many devices using the router. Since the radar data is really what I want, I enabled multicast and the radar data passes through at high speed. I have also made sure there are no slow WiFi devices on the net as the router defaults to the slowest transmission rate of any connected device.

My GoFree is hardwired to the radar control box, and hardwired to the chart plotter, but is wireless to the OpenCPN PC (Windows 10, 802.11N) The usual connection is to hardwire directly from the radar box to the chartplotter, but the GoFree passes the traffic correctly (as it should)
I can control the radar from either the PC or the chartplotter. The display changes on both displays when I make a change on either one. I see no reason the set-up shouldn't work with the other Simrad radars and other Wifi Routers as long as multicast can be enabled.

Cheers, Eric
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 19:43   #21
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Nice, so a B&G or Simrad "Go-Free" wifi can be used instead of cutting into the Radar Cable and rewiring. Thank you.
--Added Gofree to manual under Wifi.
Yes, there was no cable cutting involved. For the Halo radar, there is a control box that mounts inside, the cable from the radar is ethernet and power and the output of the control box has the ethernet running through the proprietary waterproof connectors. Simrad does sell adapters from their proprietary connectors to standard RJ-45 ethernet connectors if you wanted to use a standard Wifi router or a standard wired router. This would also allow a solution with no cable cutting. I don't know about the cable situation for the 3G/4G radars.

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:26   #22

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

It is very much the same for simrad and b&g. The ethernet adapter cable is a good simple way to connect Opencpn directly without the chartplotter and no cutting of cables.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, navico, plug, radar