Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 21:49   #1

Navico radar

A conflict has developed between my gps and compass heading. When the ethernet is connected and radar powered up the gps position goes and there is no longer an overlay. Also two totally separate furuno gps apart from being powered from same bus bar soon show a no fix signal. Either turn off the radar power (not even the transmit) or unplug the ethernet plug and the gps position comes back on and the other furuno get a fix back. It was working fine for several hours then suddenly this?
P's. ...how to update the radar firmware? Display is a windows 10 surface 3.
Rakoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:16   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Navico radar

Rakoa..
I think you've to trace this down.
How come your other gadgets, GPS and more, are affected by a Ethernet connection?
Are these other also feed to OCPN by Ethernet?
I don't understand "powered from same bus bar". Please describe how your data signals, GPS etc, are connected to OCPN.
BTW "-powered-"!
Or - Is this about power? Could it be that you feed power to all your gadgets from a common place and the last connected sink that down due to lack of power for all???
In that case - the others goes down after the radar power connection? Half shortcut? - Water in a junction box? - Radar drown by (rain)water??
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 15:14   #3

Thanks for advice. The other gps totally unconnected to anything except power. I am thinking the ethernet usb adapter to the surface may be producing some conflict
Maybe there is some power coming via the ethernet ....My old pc xp seems to not cause this but as an intermittent problem not sure. Interestingly an auto pilot issue resolved with fixing a simnet cable on its computer...maybe connected
Cheers and thanks again....will let you know if resolved.
Old 13-01-2017, 03:30   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Surface Pro3 usb power issue? Too much usb connected drawing too much power? Does the hub have a booster plug with option for a wall wart transformer to 5vdc? Just a thought.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 13:05   #5

No aux usb power but I believe the simnet system uses power. I found a loose black simnet wire in pilot computer which seems to have fixed that and so far opencpn all good. The radar uses the simnet heading so I am guessing the bad connection somehow sent a conflict via power into the furuno gps s. Meantime someone dragged anchor and hit me so not running out of things to do!
Thanks for bouncing ideas.

Tags
navico, radar