Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2019, 07:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 320 Mk II
Moitessier HAT - Configuration of GPS

I just got my Moitessier HAT and I simply cannot get the GPS to work. To be honest I'm an RPi newbie and there is all sorts of stuff I do not understand. But it seems that it is an issue with GPSD. By the way I'm using an RPi 3B+ and OpenPlotter 1.2.x. I've confirmed that everyhting is working correctly, except for the GPS.

I followed the instructions at https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter...-ais-reception

If there are more recent instructions I would really appreciate you pointing me to them.

In OP if I assign the MOT to GPSD on the Serial tab, I get absolutely nothing out when I run the kplex diagnostic for GPSD. The screen is just blank.
If I assign the MOT to KPlex, with baud 4800, on the Serial tab, I get messages when I run the kplex diagnostic for MOT, but the GLL and GGA messages do not contain any lat/lot info. The lat/lon related messages are below.

Device Type Interval Data
GP GLL 1.0 ,,,,,080724.085,V,N*
GP GGA 1.0 ,080724.085,,,,,0,0,,,M,,M,,*

The heel, yaw, temp, and pressure sensors are working.

When I run
cat /dev/moitessier.tty
cat /dev/moitessier.spi
I get output, but again the GPS related messages do not contain any lan/lon info.

Any suggestions? Any pointers to configuration changes I need to make on Raspbian?

I think it is more of an issue at the Raspbian level, but, as I wrote earlier, I am far from an expert. I'm using an RPi 3B+ and there is a whole host of info on the internet about getting GPSD to work correctly with GPS USB pucks. And when I look at my /etc/default/gpsd it looks like the daemon isn't even started.
START_DAEMON="false"
USBAUTO="false"
DEVICES=""
GPSD_OPTIONS="-n -b"

But the Moitessier HAT isn't a USB puck, so I'm not sure how to set this correctly. When I try to start GPSD manually I get an error because I'm not specifying the device, but I do not know what device name to use. I can't run lsusb to find the device name because the HAT doesn't use a USB puck.

There are no instructions on either the OP or Moitessier web sites on how to set this up. Frustrating!!
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 09:16   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Moitessier HAT - Configuration of GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
There are no instructions on either the OP or Moitessier web sites on how to set this up. Frustrating!!
What about this: https://www.rooco.eu/wp-content/uplo...Guide_v0.2.pdf
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 10:12   #3

Boat: Catalina 320 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Hi CarCode, thanks for replying.

Been there, done that. There is absolutely no mention about getting the GPSD to work, or there is an assumption that GPSD is working. I think this was also written for earlier versions of the RPi.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:14   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

As this has very little to do with OpenCPN, you may probably have more luck at the OpenPlotter forum at OpenMarine
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 13:23   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I've been trying to buy one for a few months now, but it looks like I'm late to the party, as it always says "There are not enough products in stock" on the product page.

Does anyone know if there will be another production run? I'd really like to get my hands on one.
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 13:29   #6

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilecantin View Post
I've been trying to buy one for a few months now, but it looks like I'm late to the party, as it always says "There are not enough products in stock" on the product page.

Does anyone know if there will be another production run? I'd really like to get my hands on one.
If the above forum is not good enough, you may also ask directly: Contact | Sailoog

OpenCPN is, among other software, used by OpenPlotter, but has nothing to do with it.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 14:06   #7

Try to get the correct position messages using the proper command in a terminal:
cat /dev/moitessier.spi

Do your device have clear view to sky? Are you using the patch antenna or an external antenna?
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 18:25   #8

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

you should try assign the moitessier hat to gpsd and read from that. Works for gps and ais and you can connect to this gpsd from other devices
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 05:57   #9

@MilesAhead, did you manage to get the Hat Gps to work.
I experience the exact same problem.
AndreasNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:21   #10

Boat: Feeling 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilecantin View Post

I'm in two minds whether to buy another .... I bought one last year and it lasted half of our summer cruise and then died, now it just gets very hot and refuses to work. I keep looking at the new version and note they have supplied extenders and even longer standoffs to keep it well away from the board ... I ssume they had some sort of heat issue.

I'm sort of tempted but it was expensive (in Rpi terms) but im wondering if a separate solution might be more reliable.
rszemeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:21   #11

Boat: Valiant 42

It’s really hard to beat a simple GPS puck with USB interface. Use a powered USB hub so the Pi is not powering the GPS.

You may find lots of other uses for the USB hub such as audio input for weather fax decoding.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:53   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Andreas.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 17:22   #13
Moo

There are a couple of alternatives to the Moitessier hat if you don't want to roll your own.

https://www.gedad.de/shop/gecos-wire...ct-15562399022

https://github.com/mairas/sailor-hat-hardware

Cheers
Chris
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps