Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 10:59   #1

Boat: True North 34 (AKA Noon Ocean) LOD: 34 LOA: 40
McAfee download security alert

Today I downloaded the 4.6 version for windows from the what I think is the official site:
http://opencpn.navnux.org/4.6.1/opencpn_4.6.1_setup.exe

McAfee running on my computer gave me a download security alert, see attachment of warning.

I'm wondering if it is a false warning, identifying it as a threat only because it has an .exe extension or whether there may be an issue there. I suspect it is a false warning but I thought I would mention it just in case. Others may receive the same warning if they are using McAfee.

My laptop is currently running v4.2.0, I'm downloading v4.6.1. I am assuming that is the way to upgrade (I could not find an upgrade option within the application). Will it install over the older version and will I need to re-install the plugins or will the old ones continue to function?

Thanks for your help with this AWESOME nav program!

-Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	116
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	145236  
NWSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 16:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: McAfee download security alert

Ken...

We see these "false positives" from many security scanners.

Unfortunately, very few of the scanner vendors provide any means for submitting an app for validation before shipment, and they (of course) provide no detail about any problems they discover in the field, erroneous or not.

So, we live with the situation. If you have any doubts about the integrity of the download itself, you may calculate and compare the SHA256 signatures provided for the app images on the opencpn.org website download page.

Thanks for the report
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 02:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: McAfee download security alert

You know, McAfee is known to make trouble:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSail View Post
Today I downloaded the 4.6 version for windows from the what I think is the official site:
http://opencpn.navnux.org/4.6.1/opencpn_4.6.1_setup.exe

McAfee running on my computer gave me a download security alert, see attachment of warning.

I'm wondering if it is a false warning, identifying it as a threat only because it has an .exe extension or whether there may be an issue there. I suspect it is a false warning but I thought I would mention it just in case. Others may receive the same warning if they are using McAfee.

My laptop is currently running v4.2.0, I'm downloading v4.6.1. I am assuming that is the way to upgrade (I could not find an upgrade option within the application). Will it install over the older version and will I need to re-install the plugins or will the old ones continue to function?

Thanks for your help with this AWESOME nav program!

-Ken
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, security