Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2018, 17:35   #826

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Logbook Konni for OpenCPN

Of course the first big deal is to ENABLE the plugin. Then it will exist in the toolbar and be available.

There is no opencpn.ini setting available to open a plugin automatically that I know of. I suppose this could be done, and I do know of others who would like to "always start something" in Opencpn.

It would not be a bad idea to make a Feature Request in Tracker / Flyspray. ---Look at the menu bar in opencpn.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnapsy View Post
Hello,

I discovered logbookkonni a few months ago, and this electronic logbook is really fantastic.
I am currently connecting the nmea sentences like gps, wind, rpm, barometer, temperature, ...

To avoid forgetting to launch the logbook each time by switching on opencpn, I would like the logbookkonni to start automatically as soon as opencpn is started.
A batch command must be suitable for this, and I can write the instruction to run opencpn.
But I do not find what is the instruction to add, to launch this plugin at the same time as opencpn ?

If anyone has an idea, I will be very grateful.

Cheers and happy new year
AlainS
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 00:52   #827

Boat: ETAP 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Of course the first big deal is to ENABLE the plugin. Then it will exist in the toolbar and be available.

There is no opencpn.ini setting available to open a plugin automatically that I know of. I suppose this could be done, and I do know of others who would like to "always start something" in Opencpn.

It would not be a bad idea to make a Feature Request in Tracker / Flyspray. ---Look at the menu bar in opencpn.org
Hi Rick,

Thank you for the answer.
The first part made me smile, in fact we must first install the plugin and make it active.
But this has been done, and as I already wrote, I get most of the NMEA sentences on the logbook, it's really good.

Rather than create a modification in opencpn, I thought it possible to simply create a little routine, like a batch file that after launching opencpn, would also launch the logbook.

In fact, it would take a debugger to analyze the function that starts the logbook in opencpn and copy this statement into a batch file like, for example, (start "" "c:\Program Files (x86)\ ..... \opencpn. exe" \ instruction to launch logbook).

I have a PC barebone dedicated to navigation.
The idea is just to start it and I do not mind anything : Opencpn starts automatically at boot (that's done), it connects to the dedicated COM ports to receive all the navigation information (that, it's done), and automatically starts the logbook.
I can then start the engine or do anything, all this (or almost) will be recorded in the logbook.

If anyone has an idea, that would be fine.
But in parallel, I will, as advised, make a Feature Request in Tracker (I just have to check how to do).
Schnapsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 01:01   #828

Boat: Phantom 19

I probably miss something here, but what do you mean by “starting the logbook”? If the plugin is enabled, it is enabled even on next start of OpenCPN and receives all the API events. Is there some action needed in the logbook plugin to start recording data?
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 01:43   #829

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
I probably miss something here, but what do you mean by “starting the logbook”? If the plugin is enabled, it is enabled even on next start of OpenCPN and receives all the API events. Is there some action needed in the logbook plugin to start recording data?
Hello,
If I read you well, I think I may have misinterpreted this plugin.
I am currently doing the tests on the ground and not on the boat and I thought that to save the NMEA data, the logbook need to be opened by clicking in the toolbar (and then decreasing it).

As I understand your remark, from the moment the plugin is installed and activated, it automatically saves all available data, even if we did not open the log ...

That's right ?
Old 18-01-2018, 01:50   #830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnapsy View Post
Hello,

I discovered logbookkonni a few months ago, and this electronic logbook is really fantastic.
I am currently connecting the nmea sentences like gps, wind, rpm, barometer, temperature, ...

To avoid forgetting to launch the logbook each time by switching on opencpn, I would like the logbookkonni to start automatically as soon as opencpn is started.
A batch command must be suitable for this, and I can write the instruction to run opencpn.
But I do not find what is the instruction to add, to launch this plugin at the same time as opencpn ?

If anyone has an idea, I will be very grateful.

Cheers and happy new year
AlainS
At this moment if logbook is running when you close OpenCPN, it will restart logbook when OpenCPN is started.
However the timers that were running will be in a suspended mode.
So you have to start those.
I guess you want to restart the timers automatically when OpenCPN is started, right?
This would be a new feature.

Peter
ptulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 02:00   #831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptulp View Post
At this moment if logbook is running when you close OpenCPN, it will restart logbook when OpenCPN is started.
However the timers that were running will be in a suspended mode.
So you have to start those.
I guess you want to restart the timers automatically when OpenCPN is started, right?
This would be a new feature.

Peter

Hello Peter,
That's right...
Even if Nohal's remark is correct, if the timer is not enabled, NMEA data logging will not be done automatically.
It should be a choice to check, restart or not the timer automatically.

N.B. the tracker (flyspray) seems to have display problems...
Old 18-01-2018, 04:51   #832

Schnapsy, Sorry that was an unthinking statement..enable. I don't know if Pavel's Launcher plugin would help in some way? Probably not.
Old 18-01-2018, 05:43   #833

Quote:
Schnapsy, Sorry that was an unthinking statement..enable. I don't know if Pavel's Launcher plugin would help in some way? Probably not.
Rick,
All opportunities to smile are good to take, so don't be sorry.
For the launcher, I had already checked. In fact it acts as a sort of shortcut for documents or applications that are outside of opencpn, by displaying a block with links buttons.
As its documentation specifies, it can not act on internal applications to opencpn.

I think it is necessary either to add a function in the plugin which makes restart the timer automatically (and as Peter and you wrote it, it would be a new feature), or to find which is the instruction which launches the timer to be able then to write it hard in a shortcut...

P.S. I can't write on opencpn.org/tracker, the page "flyspray" seems to be dysfunctional
Old 18-01-2018, 05:52   #834

Quote:
*P.S*. I can't write on opencpn.org/tracker, the page "flyspray" seems to be dysfunctional
I believe Tracker is mostly functional, but this happened when we had to go to PHP 5.6 for the Dokuwiki Opencpn Manual and its plugins. Tracker php code needs some adjustment so those error codes don't show up. I have modified tasks in this condition and I think you might be able to add a new task too.

Fixing Tracker is on the list.
Old 19-01-2018, 04:20   #835

I build a new version V1.2028 that has this feature included.
There is now a checkbox in the preferences page under Events that allows the suspended timers to restart when OpenCPN is started.
However if the timers are manually suspended, they will be started also when OpenCPN is started.

I have tested this on OSX and Linux but I cannot build for Windows so that is not tested.
If somebody can build for windows. Please do so.

The executables for OSX and Linux are on github under releases: https://github.com/ptulp/LogbookKonni-1.2/releases

Thanks,
Peter
Old 19-01-2018, 06:09   #836

Peter, I found it in Preferences in the "Behavior Tab" down under "Events" "Auto Restart Timers" with a message "This will automatically restart the timers if they were suspended when starting OpenCPN."

I have checked closed OpenCPN and restarted, but I am wondering how I would check it's restarting? Do I need to set up some automatic log entry or something?

For windows version, try
https://github.com/rgleason/LogbookK...es/tag/v1.2028

Thanks Peter!
Old 19-01-2018, 06:59   #837

Quote:
Peter, I found it in Preferences in the "Behavior Tab" down under "Events" "Auto Restart Timers" with a message "This will automatically restart the timers if they were suspended when starting OpenCPN."

I have checked closed OpenCPN and restarted, but I am wondering how I would check it's restarting? Do I need to set up some automatic log entry or something?

For windows version, try
https://github.com/rgleason/LogbookK...es/tag/v1.2028

Thanks Peter!
Rick,

If in the bottom status bar of logbook there is a timer active (green bullet) and the checkbox is set in preferences then when you leave and restart OpenCPN the timer should be green again.
Previously it would come back with the timer in suspended (yellow button) state.

Regards,
Peter
Old 19-01-2018, 07:06   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptulp View Post
I build a new version V1.2028 that has this feature included.
There is now a checkbox in the preferences page under Events that allows the suspended timers to restart when OpenCPN is started.
However if the timers are manually suspended, they will be started also when OpenCPN is started.

I have tested this on OSX and Linux but I cannot build for Windows so that is not tested.
If somebody can build for windows. Please do so.

The executables for OSX and Linux are on github under releases: https://github.com/ptulp/LogbookKonni-1.2/releases

Thanks,
Peter
Hello Peter,
This is a very good news !
This WE, I will test this opportunity at home, with an Arduino card that sends NMEA data from a small barometric sensor.
Old 19-01-2018, 17:47   #839

Quote:
If in the bottom status bar of logbook there is a timer active (green bullet) and the checkbox is set in preferences then when you leave and restart OpenCPN the timer should be green again.
Previously it would come back with the timer in suspended (yellow button) state.
Thanks, I can confirm that it works, win10.
Old 21-01-2018, 08:36   #840

Hello,

Based on the tests I've done (Win10 & Win7), the change is not taken into account.

If the green button (timer) is indeed green and should not be started each time, the logbook does not start automatically as soon as opencpn is started.

In fact for the logbook to take into account the information nmea, it is necessary to click on its icon (in fact to open it) and then it works.

With this change, the timer step has been shunted but not the launch of the logbook that must still be launched by yourself ...

Tags
opencpn