Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 08:38   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen Whaleback 48 FLUKE
Linux Mint 10 Install

As a linux noob I decide to install OpenCPN in a fresh install of Linux Mint 10. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, I figured it would work. I was successful but not without a couple of miss steps so I thought I would post this in case anyone else runs into the same. Here are the steps that worked for me and a couple of notes.

1. Download the .deb file for either 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu from Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage (Save the file, do not open with Archive Manager)
  2. Right-click on the saved file icon and "Open With GDebi Package Installer" (once again, default is Archive Manager, don't choose that)
  3. When Package Installer opens click "Install Package". It should take care of a couple dependencies (libwxbase2.8-0 and wx-common) if you have a fresh install of Mint 10.
  4. You can run OpenCPN by opening a terminal and typing opencpn or right click on desktop and Create Launcher with the command being opencpn.
  5. This resulted in the error message that libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0 cannot be opened because "No such file..."
  6. Click on the Mint Menu and select Package Manager.
  7. Type libwxgtk2.8-0 into the search box, click on the box next to the Package name and select "Mark for Installation", the click Apply in the Toolbar. Click Apply in the prompt box and it will download and install.
  8. Now run opencpn again, should run OK.
Hope this helps somebody. Let me know if I got anything wrong. I don't know why the GDebi Package Installer didn't recognize that another package was needed.

wayne
fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:00   #2

Boat: Reinke, 15m, Present
OpenCPN under Linux Mint

Wayne,

Thanks for your post. Comes in the right moment for me.

I am still trying to get Ubuntu 10.10 to work but the wireless connection won't work properly which is a major set back when you want to get your dependencies installed. When I read the help fora I see there is still no solution.

So, if this doesn't get solved, I'll try Mint, following the footsteps you've written down.

Cheers, Len.
svpresent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux