Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2019, 02:53   #1

Boat: Nicholson 26
Linux

For several years I've been using OpenCPN running under XP on an old Toshiba N110 netbook. No problems. Unfortunately the screen is starting to fail, so I dug out an equally old Dell Inspiron netbook to replace the Tosh.

The Dell was originally an XP machine but the OS was corrupt and I had no way of recovering it. Time for an alternative I thought. Enter Linux.

But which 'flavour'? There's so many to choose from. Some require you to use the Command Console and posses an in-depth knowledge of all the command line codes; something I don't have. What a b***ache.

After trying several 'flavours' I found the easiest to install, and easiest to get OpenCPN loaded, is Linux Lite

The only time I had to use the command console was to add my username to the dialout group to gain access to the serial ports.

If I can do it, anyone can.

So, a big thank you to the development team.

Old 21-03-2019, 05:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Linux

For a old pc dedicated to run OpenCpn I would recomend Xubuntu 16.04

Reason for recomending 16.04 and not the newer 18.04 is better compability with OpenCpn.

Xubuntu is clean and use less resources than the nortmal ubuntu and is also easier to use for someone that comes from windows.
If you have a CPU that is 64 bit, use the 64 bit version

You can download from HERE: https://xubuntu.org/download/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
For several years I've been using OpenCPN running under XP on an old Toshiba N110 netbook. No problems. Unfortunately the screen is starting to fail, so I dug out an equally old Dell Inspiron netbook to replace the Tosh.

The Dell was originally an XP machine but the OS was corrupt and I had no way of recovering it. Time for an alternative I thought. Enter Linux.

But which 'flavour'? There's so many to choose from. Some require you to use the Command Console and posses an in-depth knowledge of all the command line codes; something I don't have. What a b***ache.

After trying several 'flavours' I found the easiest to install, and easiest to get OpenCPN loaded, is Linux Lite

The only time I had to use the command console was to add my username to the dialout group to gain access to the serial ports.

If I can do it, anyone can.

So, a big thank you to the development team.

petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 05:05   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

LinuxLite is Ubuntu LTS with a few apps.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 05:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

If you read the forum, it seems that in past some difficulties have been with Ubunti 18.04
and therefore my recomenation to use 16.04
I don't know if if the same problems exsist for Linut lite - maybe not, but Xununtu 16.04 have as far as I know no known problems with OpenCpn -

Just my 5 cent's

/P

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
LinuxLite is Ubuntu LTS with a few apps.
Old 21-03-2019, 06:34   #5

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
If you read the forum, it seems that in past some difficulties have been with Ubunti 18.04
and therefore my recomenation to use 16.04
I don't know if if the same problems exsist for Linut lite - maybe not, but Xununtu 16.04 have as far as I know no known problems with OpenCpn -

Just my 5 cent's

/P

Have you tried latest LTS of Ubuntu with most recent OpenCPN release candidate? If so, exactly what issues are you talking about?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 06:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Nope, have yet not tried the latest RC.
It was just a generel comment - at least earlyer it was some issues with 18.04, therefore my recomandation to go for 16.04 since it is known to work well with Open CPUI without any issues. - I have installed for friends many times using Ubuntu 16.04 and it just "works" without any ussues. :-)

Quote:
Have you tried latest LTS of Ubuntu with most recent OpenCPN release candidate? If so, exactly what issues are you talking about?
Old 21-03-2019, 06:49   #7

Quote:
I have no issues. I’m simply saying I tried a number of Linux operating systems and I found Linux Lite the easiest to install and the easiest to get OpenCPN working.
Anyone else who, like me, is unfamiliar with Linux and put off by all the command line gobbledygook, could do a lot worse than give LinuxLite a try.

No doubt someone who is Linux literate could install a leaner, meaner, stripped-down OS. I’m not one of those people.

I’m running OpenCPN 4.8.8 and its been perfectly stable.
The LinuxLite version is 32 bit ‘Xenial’.
Old 21-03-2019, 08:34   #8

I have also been using OpenCPN for many years.
About 3 years ago, I took the leap from Windows to Linux for all my computers.
At the beginning of last season (2018) I converted the boat's PC (a fixed system feeding Raymarine G Series Monitors) to Linux. I use Actisense NMEA to USB converters to interface the PC with the ship's systems.

I chose Linux Mint for all my systems. I have configured it to look like Windows 7 with a task bar and start menus at the bottom of the screen. It took a while but I now have all my systems running under Linux. Out of all the applications that I run, OpenCPN was one of the easier ones to implement. Once you have got your head round the Linux directory structures and the way that devices are managed, it is really easy.

I'm glad that I didn't move to Windows 10 and I will not look back - Linux is the way forward - and for me, the Mint distro seems to have all I need.

For those who don't know, Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu which itself is a derivative of Debian. Mint has its own derivatives - primarily Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE. I use the XFCE build because it is a bit lighter but I replace the XFCE file manager (Thunar) with the Cinnamon file manager (Nemo). But all the Mint distros come with everything to get you going - LibraOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird etc....... and the default menu system is so like Windows you will feel at home immediately.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 13:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
I have no issues. Iím simply saying I tried a number of Linux operating systems and I found Linux Lite the easiest to install and the easiest to get OpenCPN working.
Anyone else who, like me, is unfamiliar with Linux and put off by all the command line gobbledygook, could do a lot worse than give LinuxLite a try.

No doubt someone who is Linux literate could install a leaner, meaner, stripped-down OS. Iím not one of those people.

Iím running OpenCPN 4.8.8 and its been perfectly stable.
The LinuxLite version is 32 bit ĎXenialí.
As @Transmittendan has said Linux Lite uses Ubuntu as it's base and is the latest version of Ubuntu 18.04. Any of the Ubuntu flavors will likely be just as easy for you. They are... Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, UbuntuGnome, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Budgie and Ubuntu Kylin.

My favorite is Kubuntu. Welcome to the Linux world!
Head Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 01:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Sail View Post
As @Transmittendan has said Linux Lite uses Ubuntu as it's base and is the latest version of Ubuntu 18.04. Any of the Ubuntu flavors will likely be just as easy for you. They are... Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, UbuntuGnome, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Budgie and Ubuntu Kylin.

My favorite is Kubuntu. Welcome to the Linux world!

And therein lies the problem. A bewildering choice of operating systems for the Linux illiteratti to choose from.
While you may well be correct in saying any of the above would be just as easy to install Open CPN on, I can say with certainty Linux Lite was easy . . . for me.

Tags
linux