Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2019, 02:53   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scotland
Boat: Nicholson 26
Posts: 15
Linux

For several years I've been using OpenCPN running under XP on an old Toshiba N110 netbook. No problems. Unfortunately the screen is starting to fail, so I dug out an equally old Dell Inspiron netbook to replace the Tosh.

The Dell was originally an XP machine but the OS was corrupt and I had no way of recovering it. Time for an alternative I thought. Enter Linux.

But which 'flavour'? There's so many to choose from. Some require you to use the Command Console and posses an in-depth knowledge of all the command line codes; something I don't have. What a b***ache.

After trying several 'flavours' I found the easiest to install, and easiest to get OpenCPN loaded, is Linux Lite

The only time I had to use the command console was to add my username to the dialout group to gain access to the serial ports.

If I can do it, anyone can.

So, a big thank you to the development team.
__________________

__________________
Backbearing.com Astronavigation resources.
Porthandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 05:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 677
Re: Linux

For a old pc dedicated to run OpenCpn I would recomend Xubuntu 16.04


Reason for recomending 16.04 and not the newer 18.04 is better compability with OpenCpn.


Xubuntu is clean and use less resources than the nortmal ubuntu and is also easier to use for someone that comes from windows.
If you have a CPU that is 64 bit, use the 64 bit version


You can download from HERE: https://xubuntu.org/download/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
For several years I've been using OpenCPN running under XP on an old Toshiba N110 netbook. No problems. Unfortunately the screen is starting to fail, so I dug out an equally old Dell Inspiron netbook to replace the Tosh.

The Dell was originally an XP machine but the OS was corrupt and I had no way of recovering it. Time for an alternative I thought. Enter Linux.

But which 'flavour'? There's so many to choose from. Some require you to use the Command Console and posses an in-depth knowledge of all the command line codes; something I don't have. What a b***ache.

After trying several 'flavours' I found the easiest to install, and easiest to get OpenCPN loaded, is Linux Lite

The only time I had to use the command console was to add my username to the dialout group to gain access to the serial ports.

If I can do it, anyone can.

So, a big thank you to the development team.
__________________

petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 05:05   #3
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 5,088
Re: Linux

LinuxLite is Ubuntu LTS with a few apps.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 05:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 677
Re: Linux

If you read the forum, it seems that in past some difficulties have been with Ubunti 18.04
and therefore my recomenation to use 16.04
I don't know if if the same problems exsist for Linut lite - maybe not, but Xununtu 16.04 have as far as I know no known problems with OpenCpn -

Just my 5 cent's



/P


Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
LinuxLite is Ubuntu LTS with a few apps.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 06:34   #5
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 5,088
Re: Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
If you read the forum, it seems that in past some difficulties have been with Ubunti 18.04
and therefore my recomenation to use 16.04
I don't know if if the same problems exsist for Linut lite - maybe not, but Xununtu 16.04 have as far as I know no known problems with OpenCpn -

Just my 5 cent's



/P


Have you tried latest LTS of Ubuntu with most recent OpenCPN release candidate? If so, exactly what issues are you talking about?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 06:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 677
Re: Linux

Nope, have yet not tried the latest RC.
It was just a generel comment - at least earlyer it was some issues with 18.04, therefore my recomandation to go for 16.04 since it is known to work well with Open CPUI without any issues. - I have installed for friends many times using Ubuntu 16.04 and it just "works" without any ussues. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Have you tried latest LTS of Ubuntu with most recent OpenCPN release candidate? If so, exactly what issues are you talking about?
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 06:49   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scotland
Boat: Nicholson 26
Posts: 15
Re: Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Have you tried latest LTS of Ubuntu with most recent OpenCPN release candidate? If so, exactly what issues are you talking about?
I have no issues. I’m simply saying I tried a number of Linux operating systems and I found Linux Lite the easiest to install and the easiest to get OpenCPN working.
Anyone else who, like me, is unfamiliar with Linux and put off by all the command line gobbledygook, could do a lot worse than give LinuxLite a try.


No doubt someone who is Linux literate could install a leaner, meaner, stripped-down OS. I’m not one of those people.

I’m running OpenCPN 4.8.8 and its been perfectly stable.
The LinuxLite version is 32 bit ‘Xenial’.
__________________
Backbearing.com Astronavigation resources.
Porthandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 08:34   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 27
Re: Linux

I have also been using OpenCPN for many years.
About 3 years ago, I took the leap from Windows to Linux for all my computers.
At the beginning of last season (2018) I converted the boat's PC (a fixed system feeding Raymarine G Series Monitors) to Linux. I use Actisense NMEA to USB converters to interface the PC with the ship's systems.

I chose Linux Mint for all my systems. I have configured it to look like Windows 7 with a task bar and start menus at the bottom of the screen. It took a while but I now have all my systems running under Linux. Out of all the applications that I run, OpenCPN was one of the easier ones to implement. Once you have got your head round the Linux directory structures and the way that devices are managed, it is really easy.

I'm glad that I didn't move to Windows 10 and I will not look back - Linux is the way forward - and for me, the Mint distro seems to have all I need.

For those who don't know, Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu which itself is a derivative of Debian. Mint has its own derivatives - primarily Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE. I use the XFCE build because it is a bit lighter but I replace the XFCE file manager (Thunar) with the Cinnamon file manager (Nemo). But all the Mint distros come with everything to get you going - LibraOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird etc....... and the default menu system is so like Windows you will feel at home immediately.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 13:07   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 16
Re: Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
I have no issues. Iím simply saying I tried a number of Linux operating systems and I found Linux Lite the easiest to install and the easiest to get OpenCPN working.
Anyone else who, like me, is unfamiliar with Linux and put off by all the command line gobbledygook, could do a lot worse than give LinuxLite a try.


No doubt someone who is Linux literate could install a leaner, meaner, stripped-down OS. Iím not one of those people.

Iím running OpenCPN 4.8.8 and its been perfectly stable.
The LinuxLite version is 32 bit ĎXenialí.
As @Transmittendan has said Linux Lite uses Ubuntu as it's base and is the latest version of Ubuntu 18.04. Any of the Ubuntu flavors will likely be just as easy for you. They are... Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, UbuntuGnome, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Budgie and Ubuntu Kylin.



My favorite is Kubuntu. Welcome to the Linux world!
Head Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 01:50   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scotland
Boat: Nicholson 26
Posts: 15
Re: Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Sail View Post
As @Transmittendan has said Linux Lite uses Ubuntu as it's base and is the latest version of Ubuntu 18.04. Any of the Ubuntu flavors will likely be just as easy for you. They are... Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, UbuntuGnome, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Budgie and Ubuntu Kylin.



My favorite is Kubuntu. Welcome to the Linux world!

And therein lies the problem. A bewildering choice of operating systems for the Linux illiteratti to choose from.
While you may well be correct in saying any of the above would be just as easy to install Open CPN on, I can say with certainty Linux Lite was easy . . . for me.
__________________

__________________
Backbearing.com Astronavigation resources.
Porthandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
linux

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Improved GNUAIS (AISMON for Linux) hackoon OpenCPN 24 14-07-2013 08:34
Linux Grib Viewer cagney Navigation 13 20-05-2010 17:51
Linux based Navigation Software for the eepc and XO laptop Barco Software Marine Electronics 36 03-09-2008 00:45
Anyone know of any boat Design Software for Linux ? steveh000 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 27-11-2007 06:56
linux or xp uncle_fred Navigation 7 21-08-2006 17:03



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.