Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-03-2010, 00:12   #1
Marine Service Provider

Lat / Lon Grids with C Map 93

Is there a way of displying the Lat Lon grids with C Map 93 charts with Opencpn They display with Cmap Viewer but not with Opencpn

Apologies if this has been covered before but search revealed no results

regards

Richard Fairman BA JP

Old 28-03-2010, 04:02   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
Is there a way of displying the Lat Lon grids with C Map 93 charts with Opencpn They display with Cmap Viewer but not with Opencpn

Apologies if this has been covered before but search revealed no results

regards

Richard Fairman BA JP
No, this has not been implemented in OpenCPN. There has from time to time been calls for this feature, but no wide spread demands, as far as I can recall.
When you first get aquainted with vector charts it is a spontaneous reaction to miss this grid. That's the way I reacted, at least. But ..... what do you need a lat & long grid for? Your screen is north/south - east/west reference in itself, and it is small compared to the size of a full paper chart. Your cursor position continuously display the lat & long, and right click "measure" is able to display course and distance from "anywhere to anywhere".
So for me personally, if I had the option of a grid, I probably wouldn't use it 95% of the time, it would be more of a clutter than help.
Why are you missing the grid?

Thomas

Old 09-11-2010, 13:36   #3

What about printing out back up paper chartlets? The grid is really helpful when doing navigation the old fashioned way with a paper chart.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:58   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
When you first get aquainted with vector charts it is a spontaneous reaction to miss this grid. That's the way I reacted, at least.
Isn't that already one reason for them?

Quote:
But ..... what do you need a lat & long grid for? Your screen is north/south - east/west reference in itself, and it is small compared to the size of a full paper chart. Your cursor position continuously display the lat & long, and right click "measure" is able to display course and distance from "anywhere to anywhere".
One can for example better estimate distances at a glance ( which often will be already sufficient) without the need to use the measure function.
And I guess that most users are still trained to navigate with paper charts because when they started there were no electronic navigation available.
In such cases the question I always ask myself then reads:"Why would you force someone to turn to get used to a new system if you can maintain even the current system?"

BTW: "Your cursor position continuously display the lat & long" is only true when you have the status bar enabled. And I am sure you about all the complains concerning the status bar.
In this context see also FS#197.

Quote:
So for me personally, if I had the option of a grid, I probably wouldn't use it 95% of the time, it would be more of a clutter than help.
That wouldn't be the fact if it could be switched on/off - see FS#212.
And as lucidsalt already wrote, for printing charts it would be most helpful.

So IMHO there are several good reasons for implementing them. And on the other hand I have not read/ heard one real argument against them.

Gunther
Old 10-11-2010, 15:32   #5

Boat: HR40
I would like to have the grid too !!!! could somebody put that in the tracker please ?

I already asked for it in june but at that time there were more important matters to be solved > OpenCPN Version 2.1.0 Beta

"Another feature question is an automatic grid with on/off switch in the toolbox.
So that it always shows at least one or two latitude lines and 1 to 5 longitude lines with the the indication like 7700 N and 1500 E on the line.
this grid should change while zooming so that at large scale it shows only 50, 60 or 70 and at small scales the minutes.

The grid could make it faster and easyer to find a place or if you want to compare with a paper chart or drawing.
If this grid would be also visible when I use the print option, the printed charts would be useful as backup if all electric systems failed."

Tags
c-map

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: