Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-01-2011, 20:40   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Allied Mistress 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
Wow! That looks pretty amazing. Someone put together a bunch of free computer programs that are useful for boaters. I'll have to check it out later. Maybe I can set up a double boot on my netbook. But this is hardly the "Dummies" stuff.

<snip>
Bill
Creating a multiple boot computer is easier than you think...if you just read the directions.

...of course, I guess, that pertains to most things.

I just did an install on a computer at Gente de Mar, in Panama, Panama.

It's a seven click step.

1) Welcome. Do you understand that you are installing Navigatrix to your hard drive? Yes or say what?

2)What time zone are you in? Click on the world map to give your approximate location.

3)The computer thinks you're using a standard keyboard. Is that correct?

4)The computer thinks there is another Operating System on the hard drive. It preselected that you wish to install the Navigatrix system next to--on the same hard drive-- your current operating system. It also preselected that you can choose between the two (or more) systems when you turn on your computer. If you don't choose it will use the operating system that it used the last time the computer was on. Is this what you want to do?

5)Who are you? What should the machine call you? How will the computer know that it's you?...and what should the computer call itself when speaking to you, or anyone else you want it to?

That is; Your Name; Your Login; Your Password; and the Computer ID (name).

6) The computer with then re-iterate what it is going to do...which is what you have told it to do. Is that ok? You are given four choices:

Advanced--you don't want to go there because that would not be an installation for dummies.

Quit--forget everything.

Back-- I said what?

Install--install.

The machine then does what you've told it to do, which should be creating a dual system computer. 15-20 minutes later.

Step 7) Welcome. You may not know what you have done, but you have entered the world of open source software. You can go as far as your would like. Why not start now?

Remove the USB stick, or DVD, and restart the computer. Use your up/down keys to select your option before the computer selects for you...something like 10 seconds.

That's it.

If you're ever at Gente De Mar, you can get a copy of Navigatrix.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:36   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Oh well! Downloaded on to my Win 7 64 bit machine and cant even get to Step 1!! The zipped file came down ok and "7 zip" tells me its all correct. I unzipped to the desktop (was this a good idea?!?) and now have 10 extra folders on the desktop - where to next for this computer dummy, I wonder???

Old 04-01-2011, 20:20   #33

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadda View Post
I stumbled on Navigatrix, new operating system last summer that does nearly everything I want to do and allows me to do things i didn't know I would want to do.
Technically, Navigatrix isn't a new operation system. It's a Linux distribution that has been packaged with navigation software. People already familiar with Linux might find that an advantage. It can be downloaded to a 4GB USB flash drive so even Windows users can boot it from the flash drive and run it without affecting their Windows installation.

Fabbian
Old 04-01-2011, 21:09   #34

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Oh well! Downloaded on to my Win 7 64 bit machine and cant even get to Step 1!! The zipped file came down ok and "7 zip" tells me its all correct. I unzipped to the desktop (was this a good idea?!?) and now have 10 extra folders on the desktop - where to next for this computer dummy, I wonder???
you need to download both the iso file and the usb loader file.
Burn the iso to a cd to run it.

It is easy but Linux doesn't hold your hand quite like windows cos they're a bit geeky. Geeky but brilliant i might add. It's all i will allow on my PCs these days.
Old 04-01-2011, 22:36   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Oh well! Downloaded on to my Win 7 64 bit machine <snip>
Oops, they should have said Navigatrix "runs on most any 32 bit computer built in the last 12 years" on their website.

I don't think it runs on 64 bit machines.
Old 04-01-2011, 22:43   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadda View Post
I don't think it runs on 64 bit machines.
I heard that it's possible to get it to go on a Mac, but that's too much of the dark arts for me.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:01   #37

Boat: Amel Sharki
It is pretty easy to run Navigatrix on a Mac (64-bit) with Parallels. Make a new virtual machine in Parallels and point it to the downloaded ISO file. That is all.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:04   #38

Boat: 5 m Bolger runabout, plus a Starwind 860 power tri under construction
Most current 64-bit hardware (x86-64 architecture) can run 32-bit operating systems and software. It just won't have access to all the memory if you've installed more than 4 GB of RAM. The exception to this would be Itanium hardware, which nobody at our level is likely to come across.
Old 13-01-2011, 07:36   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
Most current 64-bit hardware (x86-64 architecture) can run 32-bit operating systems and software. It just won't have access to all the memory if you've installed more than 4 GB of RAM. The exception to this would be Itanium hardware, which nobody at our level is likely to come across.
Did you mean to say that 32 bit operating systems will not recognize more than 4 gigs of RAM and 64 bit operating systems will recognize more than 4 gigs of RAM?

I agree that the vast majority of 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit OS. If one looks in their Program Files (x86) folder in a 64 bit OS, they can see which 32 bit applications already run in their computer.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 09:52   #40

Boat: Wasa 410
Yes, it has to do with binary numbers, 32 bit systems use 32 digits (ones and zeros). A binary 32 bit number can represent 2^32=4 294 967 296 as the highest possible number, so this is the maximum number of "memory slots" it can address.

It is kind of that a 32 bit system can only count up to this number, sort of.

A 64 bit system can address 2^64= 1.85*10^19, this is a really large number and for memory addressing purposes I think 64 bits will make due for while...
Old 13-01-2011, 09:55   #41

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
Quote:
Did you mean to say that 32 bit operating systems will not recognize more than 4 gigs of RAM and 64 bit operating systems will recognize more than 4 gigs of RAM?
It can't address it. That's why you have 64 bit OS

Tags
navigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: