Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2013, 06:12   #1

KAP files

Does any one have KAP files to share of the Philippines, East coast of Borneo, North Coast of Sulawesi, Irian Jaya and Papua NewGuinea or is there a directory where KAP files have been saved for everyone to access?
We have purchased a new computer with windows 8 and have followed all the directions and downloaded the newest versions of GE2KAP and ooREXX but after hours of frustration and help from my technically minded friends we still have not had success.
We have also tried downloading earlier versions of oorexx as well but to no avail. Please help.

Old 13-03-2013, 06:56   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Re: KAP files

Could you email me with more details on the symptoms you are failing with and the GE2KAP.log. My email address is in the Help file...Problems or send me a private message and I'll send my email address.

Old 13-03-2013, 08:23   #3

BTW: make sure you are using the 32bit version of ooreex not the 64bit even though your system is 64bit. You can get the proper version here:

www.gdayii.ca/Downloads enter the whole link.
Old 13-03-2013, 18:14   #4

KAP FILE AVAILABILITY & DISTRIBUTION

Is there any reason why KAP files developed by individuals cannot be collected and indexed in a central source i.e. DEPOSIT FILES for example.

Creating KAP files from scratch is not a simple task even for individuals who are computer proficient. Fore the vast majority of users of OPENCPN it is a technically frustrating if not impossible task.

Why should users keep re-creating the wheel i.e. if a user produces a KAP FILE or files for a particular area what is the point in other users re-creating the same file over and over again.

The logical answer is to have a central point where individuals can send their KAP files and other users can then access them.

A simple – useful and logical development that will help everyone.

Please vote for this if you would support the development of a KAP file repository and then maybe one of the computer guru’s will take up this suggestion and implement it.
Old 13-03-2013, 19:27   #5

That was what I was alluding to. Excellent suggestion.
Thanks for suggestions re 32 bit and yes we did that one. I would really love to hear from someone who has successfully downloaded and used GE2KAP program on windows 8.
Paul, I don't know which is the log file to send to you. To start with, do you allow the oorexx file to go into the(x86) program folder? Then can all the rest ie. GE2KAP kap files CM 93 and other charts go into a folder in C: drive ? I have installed and uninstalled different versions of oorexx and GE2KAP ie. Ones from other yachties and off web latest and older. I am at a loss and feel purchase of this new computer specifically for this extra navigational tool, just a waste of needed finances.
Old 14-03-2013, 07:08   #6

DiPage, OK try this:
1. Open a Command Prompt, you can do this from the Windows Start page.
2. In the Command Prompt window change to the directory where you have installed GE2KAP, eg enter: cd C:\GE2KAP
3. Enter: GE2KAP
4. This should try to start GE2KAP and if it fails it should give some messages as to why it fails. If you cannot determine the
problem from these messages, copy and paste them into an email and send them to me.
5. Also look for a file called GE2KAP.log. If you use the File Explorer, go to the directory that GE2KAP was installed click on "Date Modified" and look for a file starting with GE2KAP It will probably look like a text file because you don't display the file extensions. If there is one, send me the file as an attachment.
Old 14-03-2013, 07:41   #7

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Just installed it for you ;-)

Anyway, did it now instead Sunday, works fine IN ENGLISH, fails to load in German

WIN8Pro&Mediacenter on Foxconn Nettop PC AMD E-350, 4GB

I do have a few KAPs, but they are all GE Overlays, we sailed from Subic/Olongapo to Davao/Samal Island and further Ternate and Morotai in Indonesia and back. Once your system runs you will be faster making your own overlays than I could upload them.

From the charts you are asking, be aware of the "(private?) war" between the Sultan of Sulu (part of RP) and the Malaysian Army in the SE part of Sabah. A little more dense there as usual with Mr. Abu Sajaf only.
Old 14-03-2013, 19:10   #8

Thanks blubaju. We know of conflict as presently in Kudat Sabah and had planned on sailing down east coast just before trouble started so have decided not to go anywhere presently except maybe on a plane back to Aus for a while to see 90 year old mum.
Will follow Paul's advice and try again.
Read post last night about someone downloading the oorexx program, putting it in same directory as the GE2KAP and not actually installing the oorexx program. Is this where I am going wrong? I have been installing the oorexx program (and deleting a few times I might add) sometimes in x86 program file and then sometimes in GE2KAP folder but always installing full program.
Old 14-03-2013, 20:26   #9

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

forgot to mention, but should make no difference, my miniPC runs under 64bit Win8

oorexx (32bit): downloaded from phiggins homepage
automatic install accepting all suggestions
(it resides in C:\Program Files (x86))

GE2KAP: downloaded from phiggins homepage
unzipped with 7zip, dragged the whole folder to create c:\GE2KAP
linked (Not copy or move!) GE2KAP.rex to the desktop for more convenience

Google Earth, newest version, automatic install

finished, when starting google earth switch off all display gadgets

starting GE2KAP it askes about the language, when I selected German, there came an error message about a mistake in the program, I switched to English and it was fine, did not test all features though, but created 2 new overlays

P.S. S-Sabah, I'd talk with the coast guard, there is so much navy and coast guard around, both Malaysian and Philippine I think you are quite safe, for easier communication take a local boat boy with you. I had a local fisherman for years, cleans the boat and avoids to be cheated by locals: Fisher, very upset: "you destroyed my net, you pay 2000$!" my guy: "shut up, you have no net but long line and the one in our prop was clearly outside your bouys as we passed in 100yd distance, we sue you for clearing our prop, damage on the water seal and loss of time." The fisher grumbled something and drove away... ;-)
Old 15-03-2013, 10:39   #10

blubaju,

Thanks for pointing out the problem with selecting German. I have fixed it in the next version. Let me know if you want to try it. But the German translation is badly out of date, it needs someone to translate a lot of messages.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: