Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 06:15   #1

Boat: Nicholson 26
Is there a 'best' version of OpenCPN?

Given the wide variety of operating systems and their own revisions, is there a 'best' OpenCPN version for, say, an elderly netbook with an Atom processor running WinXP SP3?

To date, I have always updated to the latest version. Now 4.6.0 has been released I find myself wondering if there is anything to be gained by upgrading.
Porthandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 06:35   #2

Boat: BENETEAU
Re: Is there a 'best' version of OpenCPN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
Given the wide variety of operating systems and their own revisions, is there a 'best' OpenCPN version for, say, an elderly netbook with an Atom processor running WinXP SP3?

To date, I have always updated to the latest version. Now 4.6.0 has been released I find myself wondering if there is anything to be gained by upgrading.
Hi Porthandbuoy,

For an old PC, I will try a go on OpenCPN Linux flavor version but you have to be sure that the plugin you are using are all running on Linux.

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 09:34   #3

Boat: Nicholson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISEAG View Post
Hi Porthandbuoy,

For an old PC, I will try a go on OpenCPN Linux flavor version but you have to be sure that the plugin you are using are all running on Linux.

Serge
That still leaves the question "Is there a 'best' OpenCPN version for Linux . . . and which flavour of Linux?"

I've tried Linux on an old Toshiba laptop. It worked, but I didn't see any benefit over WinXp as far as OpenCPN was concerned.
Porthandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 09:54   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

If you are not concerned about security issues with Win XP (= don't connect it to Internet) there should be no reason not to go with 4.6 (or 4.4 if you want to wait some days more to go for the latest flavor).

OCPN is normally not resource hungry.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 13:15   #5

Boat: Najad 34

I'm using the latest OCPN on several WinXP PCs. Works very fine.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:02   #6

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post

You should read the release notes (always the first post in the release's thread here) and see if any of the changes are necessary for you.

New versions are also important for improved plugins but if you don't lust for them,.. (and be cautious-old installed plugins can set new verions of O afire )

I always keep the Last Best as a Portable Version including whichever plugins work portably while I try the new version.

O is among the very best for backward compatibility and for not adding StupidInvasiveBloat as others do
Still, I recall XP is no longer officially supported by Opencpn . Eventually you will be left behind. But that's not necessarily a Bad thing, if the old suits your needs reliably. Grandparents are old. How many people upgrade theirs?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 05:26   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

WinXP on inet should not be a problem if you use the invasive Norton Security.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn