Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2018, 22:49   #1

Boat: Hunter 31
Interface Raymarine E80 with a77

I am trying to interface a Raymarine Classic E80 with the newer a77 series. This is not possible according to Raymarine. When I connect the two devices on a wireless router (wired connections), the a77 complains of an incompatible device on the network while the E80 thinks that there is a sonar module connected.

However, if I switch the (analog) radar attached to the E80 on, the a77 displays the radar picture and allows control but still displays the annoying pop-up menu that it is an incompatible device. My objective is just to use the a77 as a secondary display for radar (until I upgrade to a digital radar in the future).

Assuming that the different services on the E80 are on different ports (i.e. 5800 for radar and possibly other ports for sonar, AIS, maps, etc.), would it be possible to use the router's firewall to block all ports except for the radar data port and then display the radar on the a77? Any network guru's that can help?

Thank you.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 03:47   #2

Re: Interface Raymarine E80 with a77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
I am trying to interface a Raymarine Classic E80 with the newer a77 series. This is not possible according to Raymarine. When I connect the two devices on a wireless router (wired connections), the a77 complains of an incompatible device on the network while the E80 thinks that there is a sonar module connected.

However, if I switch the (analog) radar attached to the E80 on, the a77 displays the radar picture and allows control but still displays the annoying pop-up menu that it is an incompatible device. My objective is just to use the a77 as a secondary display for radar (until I upgrade to a digital radar in the future).

Assuming that the different services on the E80 are on different ports (i.e. 5800 for radar and possibly other ports for sonar, AIS, maps, etc.), would it be possible to use the router's firewall to block all ports except for the radar data port and then display the radar on the a77? Any network guru's that can help?

Thank you.
Unlikely with one "router", I mean that $10 thing. The firewall there refers to the WAN interface only. Your two plotters are simply connected to the same stupid Ethernet switch integrated to the same box, which probably is not configurable at all.

You would likely have more luck with a real router like https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750r2 (Or something higher from Mikrotik set up as a router, not switch, depending on your needs - eg. wi-fi is absent on the RB 750. But the price starts to add up there) if the problem really is that they really broadcast on different set of ports, not same ports just different info, then you are completely out of luck.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine