Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 15:52   #1

Boat: KP 46
Intel Compute Stick or Lenovo ideacentre Stick 300 Computer

I have tried searching this thread but have not gotten any hits.

Is anyone running open CPN on an Intel Compute Stick or Lenovo ideacentre Stick 300 Computer?

I am redoing my nav station and want to use something small, light, and easy to use. I tried a Raspberry pi but it is too much in the experimental stage, I would like something plug and play.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 16:06   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Intel Compute Stick or Lenovo ideacentre Stick 300 Computer

We tried Asus stick it worked. I'd use a cheapo tablet given the price of the sticks.

Note: hdmi monitor required with the stick.

I have read Intel fans die prematurely. maybe a passive one is a better idea in the tropics and/or in a locker then.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 16:39   #3

Boat: KP 46

Were you happy with the Asus?

Aboard ships I take my Galaxy tablet with Navionics, works fine but I want something built in. I am replacing the Furuno navnet with a Raymarine C125, (note in the photo below) I want to have the chart up on the small monitor in the center of the nav station, and the radar up on the C125. But I also keep maint records, pilot charts etc on my computer so I want something that will run excel, word, etc. And I use it for sailmail and wx. So I need something reliable.

I had a small desktop computer mounted in a locker but it is big and clunky. I was looking a NUC or even an HP Stream Mini. Just looking for the best option that uses the least power
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cht rm.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	122270  
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 17:12   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

It worked.

We had it for testing only. It did all we wanted: Internet, nav software and entertainment.

I did not buy one as here they are around 160 EU freedom units where we are (Canary Islands). Add a small hdmi screen (I do not have any hdmi screen onboard yet) and it becomes quite a package. For 25% of this we can buy an 8inch tablet that does everything as well, and can be taken on a trek ashore.

If you are into a small installation, you will find that a 15 inch hdmi screen will burn so many amps that the energy savings on a stick may become less relevant. And the screen needs its own power brick most of the time, few come with 12 volt plug.

Here (EU) you can buy things like a microcube from Medion, loaded with Windows and then just swap the HD for any SSD. You end up with a very sturdy and upgradeable/repairable unit. If your locker space is vertical a small 11 inch laptop with SSD makes for a very neat alternative for people who do not want a stick nor a cube. Cubes are about 250 units and 11 inch ssd laptops are about 200 units here. 8 inch tablets are about 100 units.

So it all seems to boil down to how much cabling and AC/DC spaghetti you are willing to tolerate and what size of screen you want, and finally, need for mobility or lack of it.

BTW One thing that gave me a mild shock was the size of the stick. I saw them before only on Internet pictures, I imagined they were tiny. They are not!

To sum up, if you want a stick, and if Asus is inexpensive where you are, it is worth a try out.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote