Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 04:00   #1

Location: Aboard currently New Zealand at last free from lockdown
Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa
Installed OpenCpn on Nexus 7 (2013) Internal GPS

Hi folks, just some notes on my finally successful install:

Hardware: Nexus 7 (2013) Android 4.4.4 Build of March 2014-03-18
ARMv7 Rev 0 (v71)

Device: google flo

Linux Deploy 1.4.6-112

Linux: Debian GNU/Linux (wheezy) stable version

OpenCPN 3.3.1911-1 build 2014-07-11

Rooted with Towelroot. Worked through instructions on OpenCpn.org - as per Motorola Xoom (with a few tweaks). I did not use an external drive for the charts (CMap93), though I use the Stickmount app for transferring files.

Linking the Internal GPS to OpenCpn: I haven't found a way to directly link them, but it works well as follows:

1. Download and install the NRelay app (Free) from Google Play. Start the app and in Settings configure the Server as localhost and the DataPort as 10110 . This app relays the NMEA data to the Linux server on which OpenCpn is running (all within the Nexus).

2. In OpenCpn/Tools/Connections set up a connection:
Network; Protocol: TCP; Address 0.0.0.0 DataPort 10110

Other apps I found helpful (free): GPS Status and Toolbox - all the basic GPS requirements, SimpleNMEA Monitor - directly displays the NMEA sentences. They work independently.

Tidal heights work, but currents are not visible (I rarely use either as I use other apps for tides and a tidal atlas for currents).

Grib files next!

Next step will be to run it on the Nexus 10.

Thanks to all the people whose hard work and input helped me get there.

Good Luck
Old 13-09-2014, 06:37   #2

Re: Installed OpenCpn on Nexus 7 (2013) Internal GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmarks View Post
Hi folks, just some notes on my finally successful install:

Hardware: Nexus 7 (2013) Android 4.4.4 Build of March 2014-03-18
ARMv7 Rev 0 (v71)

Device: google flo

Linux Deploy 1.4.6-112

Linux: Debian GNU/Linux (wheezy) stable version

OpenCPN 3.3.1911-1 build 2014-07-11

Rooted with Towelroot. Worked through instructions on OpenCpn.org - as per Motorola Xoom (with a few tweaks). I did not use an external drive for the charts (CMap93), though I use the Stickmount app for transferring files.

Linking the Internal GPS to OpenCpn: I haven't found a way to directly link them, but it works well as follows:

1. Download and install the NRelay app (Free) from Google Play. Start the app and in Settings configure the Server as localhost and the DataPort as 10110 . This app relays the NMEA data to the Linux server on which OpenCpn is running (all within the Nexus).

2. In OpenCpn/Tools/Connections set up a connection:
Network; Protocol: TCP; Address 0.0.0.0 DataPort 10110

Other apps I found helpful (free): GPS Status and Toolbox - all the basic GPS requirements, SimpleNMEA Monitor - directly displays the NMEA sentences. They work independently.

Tidal heights work, but currents are not visible (I rarely use either as I use other apps for tides and a tidal atlas for currents).

Grib files next!

Next step will be to run it on the Nexus 10.

Thanks to all the people whose hard work and input helped me get there.

Good Luck
Thanks for trying other alternatives that enable using the built-in gps in OpenCPN. I need to remind people though. There are tablets with gps that produce nmea sentences and tablets with gps that don't.

So, the particular android app you use will be determined by which gps type is built onto your tablet. GPS Share WIFI works with tablets that do not produce nmea sentences. However, the app has a submodule where nmea sentences, converted from positional data are viewable. Unless you know which type you have, trying both types of apps may be necessary until success is achieved. The Motorola Xoom does not produce nmea output, so GPS Share WIFI or a comparable app is required.

Regarding tide and current data in OpenCPN. From: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-132359.html

"With this version come substantial changes in the way we create packages for Ubuntu/Debian Linux. The package was split into several components to save bandwidth needed for installation and allow much higher customizability of your installation. As a bonus, the high resolution world base chart can now be installed easily from a package.

The following packages are now available:

opencpn (Base program, grib and dashboard plug-ins, GUI data, 4 MB)
opencpn-doc (Documentation, 18 MB)
opencpn-tcdata (Tide and current data, 700 KB)
opencpn-gshhs-crude (World basechart, 25 km resolution, 800 KB)
opencpn-gshhs-low (World basechart, 5.0 km resolution, 1.5 MB)
opencpn-gshhs-intermediate (World basechart, 1.0 km resolution, 4 MB)
opencpn-gshhs-high (World basechart, 0.2 km resolution, 12MB)
opencpn-gshhs-full (World basechart, 0.04 km resolution, 50MB)
Note that each higher resolution GSHHS chart depends on all the lower resolution ones, so you have to sum all the sizes to estimate the download size

With this version, the dependency of the main program on the data packages is optional, which means that if you install just the opencpn package and nothing else, you will not have any basemap, documentation or tidal data available."

So, unless you are able to use one of the binary files I've generated for installing OpenCPN, which predate this change, you'll be installing from source. The commands for installing the data group you want follow this pattern:

cmake -i -DPREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE -DBUNDLE_DOCS=ON -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=ON -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=INTERMEDIATE /home/android/Downloads

Haven't actually tried this yet, so let me know...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 14:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Thanks for trying other alternatives that enable using the built-in gps in OpenCPN. I need to remind people though. There are tablets with gps that produce nmea sentences and tablets with gps that don't.

So, the particular android app you use will be determined by which gps type is built onto your tablet. GPS Share WIFI works with tablets that do not produce nmea sentences. However, the app has a submodule where nmea sentences, converted from positional data are viewable. Unless you know which type you have, trying both types of apps may be necessary until success is achieved. The Motorola Xoom does not produce nmea output, so GPS Share WIFI or a comparable app is required.

Regarding tide and current data in OpenCPN. From: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-132359.html

"With this version come substantial changes in the way we create packages for Ubuntu/Debian Linux. The package was split into several components to save bandwidth needed for installation and allow much higher customizability of your installation. As a bonus, the high resolution world base chart can now be installed easily from a package.

The following packages are now available:

opencpn (Base program, grib and dashboard plug-ins, GUI data, 4 MB)
opencpn-doc (Documentation, 18 MB)
opencpn-tcdata (Tide and current data, 700 KB)
opencpn-gshhs-crude (World basechart, 25 km resolution, 800 KB)
opencpn-gshhs-low (World basechart, 5.0 km resolution, 1.5 MB)
opencpn-gshhs-intermediate (World basechart, 1.0 km resolution, 4 MB)
opencpn-gshhs-high (World basechart, 0.2 km resolution, 12MB)
opencpn-gshhs-full (World basechart, 0.04 km resolution, 50MB)
Note that each higher resolution GSHHS chart depends on all the lower resolution ones, so you have to sum all the sizes to estimate the download size

With this version, the dependency of the main program on the data packages is optional, which means that if you install just the opencpn package and nothing else, you will not have any basemap, documentation or tidal data available."

So, unless you are able to use one of the binary files I've generated for installing OpenCPN, which predate this change, you'll be installing from source. The commands for installing the data group you want follow this pattern:

cmake -i -DPREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE -DBUNDLE_DOCS=ON -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=ON -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=INTERMEDIATE /home/android/Downloads

Haven't actually tried this yet, so let me know...
Update. The command line above works. If you want to save space and don't need the docs, you replace the =ON with =OFF. Easy.
Old 14-09-2014, 11:13   #4

Unhappy Update Re: Installed OpenCpn on Nexus 7 (2013) Internal GPS

There is a problem with my set up of the gps nmea data - NMEA Relay sends it through the LAN (ie my wifi...) so when I went down to the boat today the link didn't work.

I guess I could do it dirty by just setting up a wifi hotspot on my HTC phone but that is inelegant for use at sea on a small boat. I think I have to solve the internal issue of reading /dev/nmea in the Nexus Android context and getting it across to the Linux server or finding another way of passing the data across the device barrier. I don't want to go down the messy usb/com port route.

By the way gribs are working fine and the xdg-utils comes up nicely.
Old 14-09-2014, 11:46   #5

Are you trying to share the tablet gps with a different device or something? You do not need a WIFI setup for using the built-in gps in OpenCPN.

You may benefit greatly from reading posts in this thread "http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=147549&page=2" beginning with post #101

I admire your independent spirit because I'm a similar sort and is the reason why we have OpenCPN running on arm devices.

But, there is a lot of information available for you about issues already worked out by others.

For starters Google with key words 'opencpn, gps, armido, wrong, linux deploy, gps wifi share, bvnc free...
Old 15-09-2014, 08:51   #6

Quote:
Are you trying to share the tablet gps with a different device or something? You do not need a WIFI setup for using the built-in gps in OpenCPN.

Thanks for response. No, not trying to share it with other equipment but technically with a device (I explain below). Linux/OpenCpn is running under a chroot within Android (per OpenCpn.org Motorola Xoom approach -I think by Armido). The NMEA app NMEA Relay I mentioned runs under Android.

Without wanting to get right under the hood, I don't know how to access
the NMEA data from Linux. I was using the wifi lan (my home router) without realising it: the Android app puts out the data using TCP (localhost:10110). Within Linux (chroot under Android) I have OpenCpn configured to read the NMEA data on 0.0.0.0:10110. Works fine, with the obvious limitation of bouncing the data through the router. I cannot (yet) find a way from OpenCpn to access the data using perhaps UDP or GPSD (or other method). GPSD does not appear to be running on the linux server although it's installed via 'apt-get install gpsd' gpsd-clients.

In both Android and Linux /dev's I can see an nmea device. The problem is that Android and Linux are identically separate environments even though Linux runs within Android. For example, it is not possible to mv directories directly from one to the other ('cross-device error'). Apparently cat > wil do it. I'm now wondering whether it's possible to use a pipe or bridge to route the nmea data, though my Unix is 30yrs old and only sketchy then.

I know that from Linux /home/android/.opencpn I can navigate via /mnt/0/Download where 0 is the storage device and Download is within Android (where e.g. my charts reside and is pointed to from with OpenCPN charts directory. 'Download' is distinct from home/android/Downloads which is set up during Linux installation).

There is another twist in that when wifi is 'on' the linux server has IP 192.168.1.168 (127.0.0.1 when wifi is off) but the intermediate app NM Relay will not work with 127.0.0.1 - that would of course be a solution.

In an earlier post you asked me whether gpsd was running. In Android I cannot see gpsd running (when satellites are being tracked), but I can see nmea (just a straight 'ps'). In linux as root I cannot see much at all using ps (maybe shell limitation). 'nmea' appears only in /dev's, not in /bin's.

I know these problems have all been solved for usb nmea but I cannot locate any info for my particular setup: read the nmea data in Android from Linux (or read the GPS ship directly)!

Sorry for verbosity but it helps me simplify the problem by explaining it - thanks for your patience.

I'm sure there's a simple solution!
Old 15-09-2014, 09:23   #7

Right you are. There is a simple solution and I don't believe armido who is responsible for the instructions @ opencpn.org is far away. Of course, as usual, I could be Wrong.

Ditch 'NMEA Relay'. Download GPS Wifi Share from Google Play. Take note of the conversation at the link I provided in my last post: "http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=147549&page=2" starting with post #101.

If duplicating settings there doesn't solve your issue(s) then try Turbo G.P.S. also free from Google Play.

Both of these apps have been shown to work. GPS Share WIFI (don't let the WIFI part confuse you) may work with both types of gps built onto androids. Those that produce nmea data and those that don't. The latter type generates a 'position' from which nmea data is produced via android API's.

If GPS Share WIFI doesn't work on your device try Turbo GPS. You can probably find related posts by Googling Turbo GPS and opencpn.

Old 16-09-2014, 01:03   #8

Quote:
Right you are. There is a simple solution and I don't believe armido who is responsible for the instructions @ opencpn.org is far away. Of course, as usual, I could be Wrong.
Well, I'm a dork - GPS Share Wifi worked straight off - thanks for your time and patience.

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn