Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Re: Inland ENCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Could you try:
Code:
[Settings]
MEMCacheLimit=500
This should allow all the charts to load, since they are small.
Seems to work without problems ...

Gunther
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IENC-Rhine-01.PNG
Views:	237
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	28745  
Old 19-06-2011, 07:17   #32

One more point/ question:

Could it be that the SCAMIN function is not working correctly for the Notice Marks?

Gunther

Scale on the screenshot: 79000 Zoom 0.02
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SCAMIN-01.PNG
Views:	138
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	28746  
Old 19-06-2011, 07:38   #33
Marine Service Provider

Gunther....

Thanks. I need to make sure that 50% mem limit is the default for windows, and also figure out why linux crashes with nCacheLimit = 20. I would have expected simple grey boxes around some charts when the cache limit was exceeded.

I'll check the scamin point.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 07:40   #34

Boat: Dufour 35

Good Morning Dave!
A little kitten for you

Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. Quilting on. All German inland encs loaded, noting else.
Empty SENC directory. Initial view point 0,0. Panning to Germany. Clicking in the chart bar on a dark green "chart". Initialization starts - crash after a few seconds. Repeatable.

Name:	crash2.png
Views:	140
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	28750

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:34   #35

Boat: Dufour 35

Dave

I increased the cache to 40 charts. Still crashing.
What stands out in the logfile, I think, is that every chart is initialized multiple times.
This line
Code:
17:06:40 CEST: Initializing Chart /home/thomas/Charts/German-inland/UHW/ENC_ROOT/1W5UH030.000
appears on lines 32, 774 and 1145 !!?
opencpn.log.zip.doc
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 12:02   #36

Re: Inland ENCs Non display Dutch

Well I have spentan interesting afternoon learning a bit about encs

both display corectly in see my enc, but in oCPN one does one not

A displaying chart shows on object query chart, land area feature class Lndare.

A non correctly displaying one the object query on a land area only shows chart.

both are Ienc ed 2.

does this mean the Lndare rule is defective or something else?
yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 14:31   #37

Boat: Phantom 19

yachtsman...
Not enough info. This matter is very sensitive to exactness. Please at least tell us about which charts are you talking and post the content of object query or at least exact coordinates so that we know what are you talking about. The object names are case sensitive and if it's "Lndare" on some chart we sure have no rule to display it (yet). Ienc version 2 also is a bit misleading - there are 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and recently 2.3
BTW the main difference between iENC and ENC is that the inland objects are lowercase.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 14:39   #38

Pavel ...

I have also some more questions.
The yellow buoys (see screenshot) are not shown in OCPN (just a '?' instead). So for example, what do I have to do to add them?

What I also do not understand yet is
  • what are the 4 different Lookup Tables for?
  • how to decide between bitmaps and vectors (thought vectors were generally preferable)?
Thanks for your help

Gunther
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RLE-01.PNG
Views:	161
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	28753  
Old 19-06-2011, 23:51   #39

Gunther...
To make the yellow can waterway buoy display as a yellow can waterway buoy, you have to create a rasterization rule for object "boywtw" with attributes "COLOUR6|BOYSHP2|" to display using symbol "BOYCAN63" - have a look at the Points - PAPER_CHART lookup table for the other boywtw rules for examples. If you will find the 2 obvious errors near the end of the rules for this symbol, you get an extra point (and the yellow buoys will be OK without creating a new rule)

The rules are sorted by symbol and length of specified attributes and are searched from top to bottom - the ones with more attribute definitions first - if there's no rule for yellow can buoy, but there's a rule for yellow buoy without shape specified, it will be used.
Hint: everything is case sensitive.
Hint2: You have to sort the lookup table you edited before saving to get your new rule where it belongs (can be automated in the settings of RleEditor)

If you stay in Koln, there's another rule missing as an exercise:
Code:
Feature Class: boywtw

Position: 050 55 53.046 N   006 58 08.317 E

Attributes
   BOYSHP      spar (spindle)(5) 
   catwwm      (11) 
   COLOUR      white  red(1 3) 
   COLPAT      horizontal stripes(1) 
   SCAMIN      (18000)
  • There are 5 lookup tables and if you will go to the "Vector chart" tab in the toolbox and look to the upper right corner, it will be obvious why there are two of them for points and lines. The areas display the same all the time. More in the respective ENC and iENC standard docs, but I really don't think there's a need to know why they decided it to be this way.

• If there is a bitmap and vector symbol, always choose the bitmap one - they look better and display faster.

Pavel
Old 20-06-2011, 01:42   #40

Pavel ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
To make the yellow can waterway buoy display as a yellow can waterway buoy, you have to create a rasterization rule for object "boywtw" with attributes "COLOUR6|BOYSHP2|" to display using symbol "BOYCAN63" - have a look at the Points - PAPER_CHART lookup table for the other boywtw rules for examples.
Quote:
If you will find the 2 obvious errors near the end of the rules for this symbol, you get an extra point (and the yellow buoys will be OK without creating a new rule)
Hmmm ..., I still haven't fully understand it, but I guess you are talking about this one here
Code:
"boywtw","COLOUR6|","SY(boyspp50);TX(OBJNAM,2,1,2,'15110',-1,-1,CHBLK,21)","0","O","DISPLAYBASE","17010"
which should look like this?
Code:
"boywtw","catwwm19|COLOUR6|","SY(BOYCAN63);TX(OBJNAM,2,1,2,'15110',-1,-1,CHBLK,21)","0","O","DISPLAYBASE","17010"
If this correct (and I guess it is because the symbol is shown in the map ) I still do not understand why the symbol is "BOYCAN63" instead of "BOYSHP2"?

Quote:
The rules are sorted by symbol and length of specified attributes and are searched from top to bottom - the ones with more attribute definitions first - if there's no rule for yellow can buoy, but there's a rule for yellow buoy without shape specified, it will be used.
Hint: everything is case sensitive.
Hint2: You have to sort the lookup table you edited before saving to get your new rule where it belongs (can be automated in the settings of RleEditor)

If you stay in Koln, there's another rule missing as an exercise:
Code:
Feature Class: boywtw

Position: 050 55 53.046 N   006 58 08.317 E

Attributes
   BOYSHP      spar (spindle)(5) 
   catwwm      (11) 
   COLOUR      white  red(1 3) 
   COLPAT      horizontal stripes(1) 
   SCAMIN      (18000)
So this one should be
Code:
"boywtw","catwwm11|COLOUR1,3|COLPAT1|","SY(BOYSPR65);TX(OBJNAM,2,1,2,'15110',-1,-1,CHBLK,21)","0","O","DISPLAYBASE","17010"
Again the question about the symbol.
Shouldn't we clone existing symbols to have the names given by the object query?

Thanks for your help and excellent explainations!

Gunther
Old 20-06-2011, 02:02   #41

Very good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
Pavel ...

Hmmm ..., I still haven't fully understand it, but I guess you are talking about this one here
Code:
"boywtw","COLOUR6|","SY(boyspp50);TX(OBJNAM,2,1,2,'15110',-1,-1,CHBLK,21)","0","O","DISPLAYBASE","17010"
which should look like this?
Code:
"boywtw","catwwm19|COLOUR6|","SY(BOYCAN63);TX(OBJNAM,2,1,2,'15110',-1,-1,CHBLK,21)","0","O","DISPLAYBASE","17010"
If this correct (and I guess it is because the symbol is shown in the map ) I still do not understand why the symbol is "BOYCAN63" instead of "BOYSHP2"?
The naming convention is not our invention - it comes from the ENC standard authors, basically it always is the object name abbreviation (BOY = buoy, BCN = beacon etc.), the shape abbreviation (SPH = sphere, SPR = spar etc.) and the number, which usually tries to relate with color pattern (for example 60 is usually red, 61 green, 62 yellow, 01 unfilled etc.) If the shape is not important, all the part befor the number is the object name (TOWERS, TOPSHP = top shape etc.)

While creating the rules be careful not to use too many attributes to identify them - for example catwwm usually should not be needed for waterway buoys. If you use it and there will be another boywtw with the same shape and color but different category (which visually does not matter) the rule would be missed.

Quote:
So this one should be
Code:
"boywtw","catwwm11|COLOUR1,3|COLPAT1|","SY(BOYSPR65);TX(OBJNAM,2,1,2,'15110',-1,-1,CHBLK,21)","0","O","DISPLAYBASE","17010"
Again the question about the symbol.
Shouldn't we clone existing symbols to have the names given by the object query?
Not at all. All it would bring is more confusion, bigger rules file and more memory consumed. Once you get used to it, the current naming scheme makes sense (as much as possible...)

Thanks a lot for your interest

Pavel
Old 20-06-2011, 02:44   #42

Pavel ...
Quote:
The naming convention is not our invention - it comes from the ENC standard authors, basically it always is the object name abbreviation (BOY = buoy, BCN = beacon etc.), the shape abbreviation (SPH = sphere, SPR = spar etc.) and the number, which usually tries to relate with color pattern (for example 60 is usually red, 61 green, 62 yellow, 01 unfilled etc.) If the shape is not important, all the part befor the number is the object name (TOWERS, TOPSHP = top shape etc.)
Ah, OK! Now I understand the scheme.
Quote:
While creating the rules be careful not to use too many attributes to identify them - for example catwwm usually should not be needed for waterway buoys. If you use it and there will be another boywtw with the same shape and color but different category (which visually does not matter) the rule would be missed.
Hmmm ..., generally I understand what you are saying, but ...
... how will I know that "catwwm usually should not be needed for waterway buoys"? Nearly every (except 2) boywtw entry has a catwwm attribute ...

Gunther
Old 20-06-2011, 02:59   #43

Quote:
Hmmm ..., generally I understand what you are saying, but ...
... how will I know that "catwwm usually should not be needed for waterway buoys"? Nearly every (except 2) boywtw entry has a catwwm attribute ...
Experience and time will tell you. There really is no rule I could suggest. For boywtw for example the rules come directly from the lookup tables published by the iENC presentation library authors. If I was doing them, I would probably ignore catwwm completely. At least it was my conclusion from looking at the object query results from various charts at the time I was spending my time creating the rules.

Pavel
Old 20-06-2011, 03:46   #44

Pavel ...
Quote:
Experience and time will tell you.
That's what I thought ...
Quote:
If I was doing them, I would probably ignore catwwm completely. At least it was my conclusion from looking at the object query results from various charts at the time I was spending my time creating the rules.
So maybe for a beginner like me it would be better to not ignore it and from time to time a pro like you just have a look at it for optimization?

Next question:
I never really thought about what the differences between the "Chart Display Styles" are.
Now that I am dealing with the RLE stuff I get an idea of it.
The logical question which arises from this is:"Are all rules added to both lookup tables (Paper Chart + Simplified) or are there any differences?"

Question Top Marks:
The Top Marks of the water-way beacons are shown but they are all just black. So what do I have to do for having them coloured?

Thanks
Gunther

Thanks
Gunther
Old 20-06-2011, 04:16   #45

Quote:
So maybe for a beginner like me it would be better to not ignore it and from time to time a pro like you just have a look at it for optimization?
Try to keep the rules simple and their number low, that's my suggestion. I'm afraid there's not enough resources to review the submissions extensively...
Quote:
Next question:
I never really thought about what the differences between the "Chart Display Styles" are.
Now that I am dealing with the RLE stuff I get an idea of it.
The logical question which arises from this is:"Are all rules added to both lookup tables (Paper Chart + Simplified) or are there any differences?"
Many there are... The simplified style is what the name suggests, simplified. No topmarks, simple (mostly) vector symbols, not too much detail. The paper chart style adds all the eye candy and tries to make the symbols look like the ones used on the paper charts.
Quote:
Question Top Marks:
The Top Marks of the water-way beacons are shown but they are all just black. So what do I have to do for having them coloured?
I do not consider them that important. The symbols are pretty small, so coloring them is hard and the added value questionable. If you feel like doing something in this area, have a look at the TOPMA? and TOPSH? symbols and the appropriate rules for the inland topmar object. They should generally be quite similar to the rules for the marine TOPMAR. BTW, the Dutch inland charts very often use the marine object, while the German charts the inland one and the attributes they like to use differ a lot to complicate the things even more
If you feel like creating a completely new symbol, the link to my wiki posted earlier is the guide.

Pavel