Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-10-2013, 19:36   #1

Incorporaint parts of OpenCpn into my own applciation

I am not a boat owner, just a software developer. A friend has asked me to deveop a one-off applciation, of use only to him.

The only part which is giving me trouble is that he wants "turn by turn" navigation, such as one might get from Google Maps for driving directions.

Given two ports or Lat/Long, he wants me to provide a series of waypoints, including Lat/Long of each. If possible he wants the estimaetd time for each leg, which I can calcluate, but he also wants me to take into account shipping lanes, weather conditions and the like.

Frankly, I have no idea how to do this and, after much googling for a free solution, it looks like OpenCPN might be the only way to implement that part of the applciation.

1. Can OpenCPN indeed do that?
  2. is there an API?
  3. if not, and I link the Open CPN source with my own, where in the OpenCN code shoud I be looking in order to get this information?
  4. Did I miss some other Free & open Source S/w which can do this?
Thanks in advance any help!

Old 09-10-2013, 20:01   #2

Re: Incorporaint parts of OpenCpn into my own applciation

SALT108...
ad 1. Do what exactly? Turn by turn navigation? No.
ad 2. Not a type of API you probably have on mind. But the source is GPL, so everything OpenCPN can do has an API in fact.
ad 3. You should definitely start looking at https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/b...hart1.cpp#L895
ad 4. Don'y know, you might have missed a couple of open source projects doing either marine navigation of some sort (qtVlm, capcode to name a few) or turn by turn navigation (navit for one)

Pavel

Old 09-10-2013, 21:15   #3

Wow, thank you so much for such a quick and helpful reply, Pavel.

I will look into the source code of OpenCPN, especially where you mentioned.

I had a quick glance at Navit, as my friend really wants "turn by turn", in the sense that he wants nautical nvigation, taking into account shipping lanes, winds, tides, etc. At first glance Navit looks like dry land only, but I will glance again.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 09-10-2013, 21:23   #4

Well... It was meant more as a joke, you should take a look at qtVlm as far as weather routing goes. And you should probably tell your friend that a boat is not a car Good luck in this endeavour.

Pavel
Old 10-10-2013, 20:00   #5

A joke? sigh :-(

Well, I imagine that commercial shipping has this sort of thing. It is certainly technically possible; probably just unlikely that someone has open-sourced it.

I will keep looking. If I find seething, make I can put together an application & open source it.

QtVlm looks quite interesting; I will look into that. Thanks again
Old 11-10-2013, 04:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALT108 View Post

Well, I imagine that commercial shipping has this sort of thing. It is certainly technically possible; probably just unlikely that someone has open-sourced it.

I will keep looking. If I find seething, make I can put together an application & open source it.

Commercial shipping has no such thing. Commercial mariners a trained to navigate, and lanes are not set in stone.
Old 17-10-2013, 19:55   #7

Told you I wasn't a sailor. Thanks. I guess that I don't have to be 100% accurate, just get a close approximation as to time & distance to a given portTold you I wasn't a sailor. Thanks. I guess that I don't have to be 100% accurate, just get a close approximation as to time & distance to a given port
Old 18-10-2013, 10:40   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
That's already built into opncpn. Or any GPS for that matter.

I'm not trying to be rude, but the idea of running turn by turn navigation on the water is truly frightening.
Old 18-10-2013, 12:13   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALT108 View Post

I doubt commercial shipping has this, what your customer is looking for borders on replacement for judgement. On land this works because travel on roads is highly prescribed, lanes are a fixed width with one line of cars per lane and must be followed in a specific direction and there are a limited number of arrangements for intersections which all have specific controls established at each one.

At sea lanes are established wide enough for one to fifty vessels depending on size, with crossing situations possible anywhere. Picking a distance off to clear a hazard involve judgement. I would be ok passing 100yd upwind of an isolated rock that I could see but would not be happy sailing 500yd upwind of a 5nm long leeward shore. How do you program a computer to understand the difference and make adjustments as the length of the leeward shore gets longer or shorter.

I Think what you might be able to do is pick the fastest route with weather in mind and highlight all the points of closest approach to various items/hazards shown.
Old 18-10-2013, 13:03   #10

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

As others have pointed out, sea navigation is not like road navigation. It can't and shouldn't be reduced to a bunch of algorithms.

Perhaps what you should consider is using a navigation program like OpenCpn to form your route, using user determined waypoints to avoid obstructions, stay in safe waters, etc. Then download that route to whatever your customer/friend wants to use. You could even use the route list yourself with a bit of spherical trigonometry (well more than a bit) compute the angle of each turn, the new course and the distance to the new waypoint.
Old 19-10-2013, 19:25   #11

Boat: Tollycraft 34' Tri-cabin

Your software would become a liability to the user.

In my view Maritime Law requires a watch that utilizes all appropriate means such as radar, monitor radio frequencies, able to operate the helm and all other controls....

Might be better to obtain a merchant marine master's license first then ask you to build a software application to augment those new skills.
Old 19-10-2013, 22:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
Your software would become a liability to the user.
Yes, that does seem to be the prevailing view.

I think that I phrased my question badly. I am only concerned with estimating travel time & fuel consumption. An approximation of a route can do that for me. I do not intend for anyone to follow (or evern see) the route.

Thanks for your feedback; I will update the question. Oops, I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
Might be better to obtain a merchant marine master's license first then ask you to build a software application to augment those new skills.
Errrm, just a little more time, effort and money than I am willing to put in ;-) but I do understand what you are saying. Thnaks again.
Old 20-10-2013, 10:00   #13

Boat: Tollycraft 34' Tri-cabin

ETA should not be too difficult. There is an easy way to create a route and also real time tracking.

Would not a real time difference provide an ETA? It would require the creation of a route, or a look up table of routes for the user to select. Both are incorporated in OpenCPN.

ETA is a classic question, I would start with that.

There are products that measure fuel flow, fuel consumption and even some that will return Nm/gal. Flowscan is one brand name.
Old 20-10-2013, 10:08   #14

Boat: Sandpiper 565

(Interesting problem. I'm a programmer too)

For your revised requirements:

Biggest problem - program awareness of things like channels, hazards, shipping lanes, etc requires substantial initial data processing. Electronic charts may contain all this info, but not necessarily in a way that would result in simple algorithms to use them. If this is for a well-travelled navigation area, the use might justify the cost of the human effort to enter the waypoints for safe paths through the area that the program would follow as much as possible..

The closest I think you can get to your customer's requirement is something like so:
- the desired course is either completely laid out by the user as a sequence of waypoints, or the program has been provided with "standard" paths to follow as described above when selecting a path between given ports.
- it's complex but not impossible to factor in such things as tides and currents over the path, given the date and time of departure. It's probably impractical to factor in weather, but the possibility is there.

Combined with the boat's data (fuel consumption at different speeds, mainly), a reasonable fuel estimate could be made.

Obviously, the navigator can follow the pre-entered or selected waypoints on the passage.

It would take alot of refinement to get to the point where the application could suggest the most fuel-efficient route.

Tags
enc, opencpn, parts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: