Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 08:34   #211

Re: Hydrographic Survey Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Coloring the depth does not work!
There is also a problem with panaroning on a scale of more than 50,000. The Chart does not move with the mouse Zoom works
Is this the variable depth colour? No work done on this yet!

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:47   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
Is this the variable depth colour? No work done on this yet!

Mike
Yes, variable depth colour
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Thanks for info, It was so simple. I think that if you provide special link for mod_spatialite maybe you forgot place it for sqlite.

Thanks again

Kubek
kubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 00:52   #214

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

Hi,
I am new to this plugin, but it very much needed her in the Maldives where all charts are extremly wrong. Where can i find the needed files and a description how to install? We have friends that are coming here next year, and i would like to help them.

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 01:28   #215

Lars ...

This is a work in progress. I am away for a few days but I will post some more details when I return.

Mike
Old 10-07-2019, 05:02   #216

did the install, but although the plug in is in the plugin folder it doesnt show on the plug in tab in open cpn. should i have installed pllug in 3, before 3.1?
yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:44   #217

Yachtman ...

Still very much a work in progress.

3.1 should be good. No need for 3.

But ... what OS? Did you install the required files listed for 3?

With Baikal's comments I have started work on improving the plugin. Intention is to make the plugin record a raw soundings table using the echo-sounder raw NMEA data. Then with correction facilities produce an edited file which takes account of tide/sounder depth etc etc. This is more in line with a professional program like 'HyPack'.

Mike
Old 10-07-2019, 14:43   #218

Quote:
Yachtman ...

Still very much a work in progress.

3.1 should be good. No need for 3.

But ... what OS? Did you install the required files listed for 3?

With Baikal's comments I have started work on improving the plugin. Intention is to make the plugin record a raw soundings table using the echo-sounder raw NMEA data. Then with correction facilities produce an edited file which takes account of tide/sounder depth etc etc. This is more in line with a professional program like 'HyPack'.

Mike
Win 10 1903 fully up to date.

Did the install of the files in accordance with instructions.

Any chance of reading in the positions and soundings as have a Garmin unit in the rib which is used for survey. Uses gpx file . Cant imagine a laptop in the rib! Although I have had nmea data stream off the garmin as I have it set up to remove and plug into the mother ship in case of some failure there.

Previously used google fusion tables which I overlaid on google earth. Google fusion tables are being shut down.

Have looked at reefmaster. But quite pricey without full garmin support of side scan sonar

Many thanks
Old 10-07-2019, 18:33   #219

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtman View Post
have a Garmin unit in the rib which is used for survey. Uses gpx file

How do you do that? I have been experimenting with Quickdraw Contour Mapping on my Garmin unit but the survey information is stored in a proprietary Garmin format. How are you getting survey data in GPX format?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 00:25   #220

Yachtman ...

Assuming you have access to the SDCard/UserData you can use Garmin HomePort. Open the user data with HomePort. Export the 'Active Log' as a .csv file. The tracks will not work as they do not contain depth data.

Import the .csv into OpenOffice or similar. Start at row 44 where the lat/lon starts. Comma separation.

Edit the csv - the depths are several empty columns to the right. Delete empty columns. You only need three columns in the order LON, LAT, DEPTH.

When you have Survey_pi working make a new survey table and 'Import ...'. Choose the CSV Files option. Depending on the size of the survey it can take some time for the import.

Attached image shows the result. No tide correction.

Can you post your OpenCPN log file? Please use an attachment not text. And a .pdf extension if it causes problems.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garmin_survey.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	195733  
Old 11-07-2019, 05:18   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
How do you do that? I have been experimenting with Quickdraw Contour Mapping on my Garmin unit but the survey information is stored in a proprietary Garmin format. How are you getting survey data in GPX format?

Fabbian
in the user data section there is an export function, can choose to export in 2 formats, gpx or a garmin ad? format, writing to the sd card.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:47   #222

Quote:
Yachtman ...

Assuming you have access to the SDCard/UserData you can use Garmin HomePort. Open the user data with HomePort. Export the 'Active Log' as a .csv file. The tracks will not work as they do not contain depth data.

Import the .csv into OpenOffice or similar. Start at row 44 where the lat/lon starts. Comma separation.

Edit the csv - the depths are several empty columns to the right. Delete empty columns. You only need three columns in the order LON, LAT, DEPTH.

When you have Survey_pi working make a new survey table and 'Import ...'. Choose the CSV Files option. Depending on the size of the survey it can take some time for the import.

Attached image shows the result. No tide correction.

Can you post your OpenCPN log file? Please use an attachment not text. And a .pdf extension if it causes problems.

Mike

Many thanks for the above import instructions, and log attached..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn.pdf (1.31 MB, 26 views)
Old 11-07-2019, 18:35   #223

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtman View Post
in the user data section there is an export function, can choose to export in 2 formats, gpx or a garmin ad? format, writing to the sd card.

Sure, but what are you exporting? What data contains latitude, longitude, and depth? I know I can export waypoints, routes, and tracks. Is there more data available or do tracks include depth information on your unit?

As with most interesting issues the manual for my echoMAP CHIRP 54cv is silent. It does little more than list all the menu items without any discussion of how they interact.

The Quickdraw Contour Mapping feature is very impressive but I haven't found a way to view those charts away from the chart plotter (except uploading them to Garmin Connect).

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:29   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Sure, but what are you exporting? What data contains latitude, longitude, and depth?
yes those, and time of the sounding, but no sonar info

I know I can export waypoints, routes, and tracks. Is there more data available or do tracks include depth information on your unit?
tracks include depth on mine Agree most modern manuals are useless

As with most interesting issues the manual for my echoMAP CHIRP 54cv is silent. It does little more than list all the menu items without any discussion of how they interact.
on my 75sv, i can export in gpx format and garmins adm format and that is it, no info available from garmin. So i have been able to open gpx file and sort colums and remove the first 44 lines as per rasbats instructions ready for when i can get his plugin working.

The Quickdraw Contour Mapping feature is very impressive but I haven't found a way to view those charts away from the chart plotter (except uploading them to Garmin Connect).

Agree ,same here haven't found anything useful.
the other thing i have found is that when quick draw is on recording, it seems to scrub or turned of the recording of the data in in the later exported GPX file, as I am missing large portions of usage in my GPX file from this years summer cruise to the Scillies (Islands off the sw tip of the uk for international users)

Fabbian
answers interlaced above
Old 12-07-2019, 13:08   #225

Yachtman ...

Did you use the win 32 sqlite3.dll precompiled binary from here? ...

https://www.sqlite.org/download.html

You are running 64 bit Windows but for OpenCPN/survey_pi this 32 bit dll is needed.

Mike

Tags
survey