Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
How to Overcome OpenCPN's Twenty Chart Maximum ?

Hi all,

before I open a new feature request I would like to discuss this question here in the forum as I assume that there are several points that need to be taken into consideration.

The problem:
In the current version of OCPN it only allows for a maximum of 20 charts at a time. Normally this isn't really a problem if we regard only real navigational charts. But due to the lecking of other options one might also use some weather forecast charts or things like that.

Thanks to the great work of Thomas (cagney) and Pavel (nohal) there are already some forecast charts available.
For an example look at: Wetterkarten | OpenCPN.de
These are "autogenerated" kap files (thanks to Pavel) for use with OCPN.

Now it's clear why the 20 charts maximum becomes a problem.

And there has been another feature request a while ago (see FS#138) that goes in the same direction.

I can imagine that there is no "easy" solution for this.

IMHO it would be very nice to have the option to categorize charts in two main groups:
  1. navigational charts
  2. all other kind of charts
The first group is handled like before - no change (for not over-complicating things).
But the second group should be displayed as an overlay (with freely selectable transparency). And to overcome the 20 charts maximum they shouldn't be listed in the chart bar but preferable in an extra (dockable) pane (somehow like the dir and file list in the GRIB window).

Additionally an option to categorize charts and easily dis-/ enable them (like described in FS#138) will also be most helpful - I vote for this.

So let me know your opinion about this. And maybe someone (Dave ) can say something about the general feasibility?

Thanks,
Gunther
Old 10-11-2010, 16:54   #2

Boat: Seawind1160
Gunther,

I know there is support to have opencpn as robust for navigation as our dodgy hardware will allow -ie compact without too many frills so there might be resistance to making ocpn more flexible as you ask. The plug in environment being developed and the mooted chart manager might accomplish what you are after as a seperable "addon". A separate chart manager could 'combine' some charts perhaps with transparency which is then included in ocpn as a ""single"" chart"

I do agree with your notion of transparency. I 'requested' this last year I think in the beta test forum but not in feature requests so maybe thats why it seemed to go nowhere. The advantage of transparent overlays is it enables one to see any inconsistancies in the different charts available of the same area, and in particular human generated vs satellite imagery etc.

R

Phil
philocat is offline   Reply With Quote