Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 19:06   #1

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32
How to display OCPN voyage on a Webpage

Perhaps I just wasn't using the right Search terms, but I couldn't find a 'how to' display my actual progress on a web page. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 29-11-2016, 20:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: How to display OCPN voyage on a Webpage

Do you want the web page to be static or live?

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 03:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Do you want the web page to be static or live?
Hello Jackdale, thank you for responding. While sailing I would like it to be live. But there are times that I would like to discontinue a live feed.

On the other hand, it depends on the degree of complexity. I am operating from a phone, but I do have technical assistance ashore. So suppose that I would need to know my options (the short version) before I can make an informed decision.
Old 30-11-2016, 04:53   #4

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

I haven't n tried it for nmea, but this *might* work for a single machine over the internet..

Use a Raspberry Pi running openplotter, then you can send nmea data using a method nailed mqtt, designed to send data over Internet connections which aren't great. I use it to send engine temperatures around and in the image below just quickly edited "engine temperature" to send lat and long instead to check it works. It does. Then at the other end, this bit I'm not so sure about, but another raspberry pi should be able to convert the mqtt data into a UDP or tcp feed which Opencpn could recognise and display. The latest raspberry pi operating system has some software called node red built in which simplifies taking input feeds and outputting them to anywhere else. Also, some whizz kid on the net could probably tell you how to set up Google maps to display the mqtt feed live online. Beyond me I'm afraid, but now the ideas there's I might try it one day.
Already it's quite easy to upload tracks to Google maps after the event.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:11   #5

That's way over my head. Perhaps a step by step on how to update Google Earth on an hourly basis. Any takers out there?
Old 30-11-2016, 12:52   #6

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

A smartphone gps tracker app might be the easiest route.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 18:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
That's way over my head. Perhaps a step by step on how to update Google Earth on an hourly basis. Any takers out there?
Hmmm why do you need it to update so often?

Have a look at sailblogs or similar. You just email your updates and the blog site does the rest.

What about Pangolin ? Just email your position once a day or so.

I have a little map plugin for wordpress on my blog that updates from a lat long that I include in my posts which I send in by sailmail. See the link to my blog in my signature.

If you tell us more about the type of sailing that you do. Coastal, offshore, duration of trips etc.. ?

OpenCPN is not a tracker so you wouldn't be sharing "OCPN" data as such.. Just your position.

Then we may be able to suggest something.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 19:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Hmmm why do you need it to update so often?

Have a look at sailblogs or similar. You just email your updates and the blog site does the rest.

What about Pangolin ? Just email your position once a day or so.

I have a little map plugin for wordpress on my blog that updates from a lat long that I include in my posts which I send in by sailmail. See the link to my blog in my signature.

If you tell us more about the type of sailing that you do. Coastal, offshore, duration of trips etc.. ?

OpenCPN is not a tracker so you wouldn't be sharing "OCPN" data as such.. Just your position.

Then we may be able to suggest something.
Hi Chris and thanks for chiming in. Me personally I would be happy with sending it in when I got around to it. But the circumstances dictate that I keep family and friends apprised.

I took possession of an Endeavor 32 that had been sitting in a Marina slip for about 3 years, leaking through the portholes and hatches. Prior to this lapse she was lightly used and has a history of good maintenance. But neglect has taken its toll and I have had to make a number of repairs and upgrades.

She is in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Home is in Galveston Bay. That's approximately 1,700 nautical miles, against the current, in winter, single-handed. The last time I sailed regularly was around 1990. Departure is scheduled for this weekend.

Does that give you a better idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161129_132005.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	137243  
Old 30-11-2016, 20:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Does that give you a better idea?
Put it on a truck and ship it.
Old 30-11-2016, 20:42   #10

Quote:
Put it on a truck and ship it.
Look at your signature. Now look at my name. It's a sailboat. That's why I bought it.
Old 30-11-2016, 20:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Look at your signature. Now look at my name. It's a sailboat. That's why I bought it.
Read this sentence from your post

Quote:
That's approximately 1,700 nautical miles, against the current, in winter, single-handed. The last time I sailed regularly was around 1990.
"There are old sailors; there are bold sailors; there are no old bold sailors."

I have close to 50,000 miles including North and South Atlantic passages and 4 passages from Hawaii to the PNW. I would not attempt your passage under those circumstances. I am an old sailor.

BTW - I learned to sail on Galveston Bay 36 years ago.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:02   #12

Quote:
Read this sentence from your post

"There are old sailors; there are bold sailors; there are no old bold sailors."

I have close to 50,000 miles including North and South Atlantic passages and 4 passages from Hawaii to the PNW. I would not attempt your passage under those circumstances. I am an old sailor.

BTW - I learned to sail on Galveston Bay 36 years ago.
Thank you for your concern. Truly, I understand and appreciate your perspective. However I think you have misapprehended the nature of this trip and the nature of my experience.

In all honesty, I cannot tell you that I have X number of miles under my keel. Nor can I tell you that I have made numerous marathon bluewater passages. We never logged miles. Miles didn't matter. The conditions didn't matter. The sailboat didn't matter. All that mattered was sailing.

We sailed every day, in every condition imaginable and in every kind of sailboat we could get our hands on; from Hurricane Juan to pray for a breeze summer afternoons; from beach rentals to racing catamarans to charter sailboat excursions to boat repos. If it had anything to do with sailing, we were all in.

Our backyard was all of the West Coast of Florida and much of the adjacent Gulf of Mexico (though we did stray when repossessing boats). The 'ditch' and the Gulf was our playground. So at least I'll be in familiar waters.

Until the Endeavor and I know each other better, I'll only sail during the day. There are 10 hour days right now, so that is how each leg of the journey is planned. For the most part, I'll stay in the ICW. Bold is not a part of my plan. Careful planning and perseverance are.

I answered Littlechay with all of the objections that family and friends had raised. Primarily because he was looking for context to the reason I wanted near real-time position updates.

Again I thank you for your concerns. Hopefully this will put them to rest. It is also my hope to return to the topic at hand.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:36   #13

Careknot,

Given your reasons and the short time available and assuming that you are not a computer guy my recommendations would be to go out and buy a tracker such as Delorme inreach or a spot. Just buy it give it power and turn it on.

On the Delorme you can set your tracking period from seconds to hours, whatever they are comfortable with.

I think you'll have a great trip day-sailing around there. Winter? It's damn near tropical it will be great!
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:54   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Careknot,

Given your reasons and the short time available and assuming that you are not a computer guy my recommendations would be to go out and buy a tracker such as Delorme inreach or a spot. Just buy it give it power and turn it on.

On the Delorme you can set your tracking period from seconds to hours, whatever they are comfortable with.

I think you'll have a great trip day-sailing around there. Winter? It's damn near tropical it will be great!

+1, or as an addition download an position Sharing app for your phone like glympse (never used it but was the first hit in the App Store)
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:06   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Check out GPSVisualizer.com. It can create a track on a dynamic, selectable map background, given a variety of different inputs.

That said, it's a little technical. If you want a no-brainer, then buy a DeLorme InReach, which allows you to just use the page they maintain for you. Here's mine from last summer's down east loop trip. We had it update every 10 minutes. Was well worth it for keeping the folks back home from getting restless. The two-way text was just gravy.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote