Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: How to display OCPN voyage on a Webpage

Hi,

www.marinetraffic.com offers a free of charge option to include your AIS signal on a chart on your website.

Have a look at my website.

The chart moves with the boat.

For an animated, tracking chart I made that one myself in a photo editing software.

Look under chart position.

Good luck!

www.ladyrover.com
Old 01-12-2016, 14:53   #17

...... and if you don't have AIS onboard you can feed in a signal to MarineTraffic. with a mobile phone.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:14   #18

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

So coastal seems covered as long the AIS signal enters the web somewhere.
Offshore less so..
Old 01-12-2016, 15:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
...... and if you don't have AIS onboard you can feed in a signal to MarineTraffic. with a mobile phone.
Interesting. How?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 17:12   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking made easy | AIS Marine Traffic offers a free of charge option to include your AIS signal on a chart on your website.
Glad it's working where you cruise! We found very poor coverage by AIS shore stations all along the Northeast US. Basically a few miles around the very largest harbors were the only places we'd show up. We prefer to cruise where there aren't so many big cities.

Another problem is that there are at least two or three major AIS shore station networks. Marinetraffic.com is one of them. They don't share data from shore stations between them. So to improve coverage, you'd need to sign up with more than one.

You could also pay for the satellite AIS receiver service, but it appears they only update the location once every day or two.

Believe me, I looked into all of this before shelling out the $$ for the InReach. We really liked the reliability of adding a track point every 10 minutes, anywhere in the world.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:05   #21

Boat: Hans Christian 41T
How to display voyage progress on the InterWeb?

Greetings -
As we are preparing for another "voyage," the availability of newer off-shore communication systems has captured our attention. Previously we have relied on HAM/SSB email through the WINLINK system, downloaded WEFAX, GRIB files, and LEO Weather Sat images, and updted friends and family via PANGOLIN's trip following.

This next leg takes us across the Indian Ocean along the southern route from Malaysia, through Indonesia, then on to South Africa with a few stops along the way. Unfortunately this route has little of the communication nets available in the South Pacific. It appears the newer tech approaches might be an adequate substitute. Because this is an Open Ocean passage, any recommendation of SE vs Explorer is appreciated, although other threads seem to indicate the SE is more than adequate.

The challenges will be:
1. "Posting" progress along the way
2. Getting weather forecasts
The most germane to this thread are the details of posting progress. Weather forecasting seems to be adequately covered in othe threads addressing OCENS and Delorme's marine forecasts. It may take some reading, but seems well documented/discussed in the CF.

I feel like I've been down the same track as CareKnot, where he posted;
Quote:
Perhaps I just wasn't using the right Search terms, but I couldn't find a 'how to' display my actual progress on a web page. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We have been looking at the Delorme InReach SE as a satellite communicator. The various plans look inviting as do the options of getting weather details for those times our "old standby systems" don't.

In this thread, mention was made by CaptTom:
Quote:
...buy a DeLorme InReach, which allows you to just use the page they maintain for you.
I have searched here and the inter-web, and find no reference to this service - other than CaptTom's referenced page.

We are not currently Facebook/Twitter/webpaged members of the cruising community. We did have an extensive web-presence beginning in 1996, but terminated it several years later. Producing our own blog has little interest to us. So posting to our own page is out.

If someone could point out where Delorme identifies/shows/describes the service they provide to subscribers we'd be much appreciative. Maybe I need a deeper-dive into the Delorme site?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 13:17   #22

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: How to display voyage progress on the InterWeb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post
In this thread, mention was made by CaptTom:I have searched here and the inter-web, and find no reference to this service - other than CaptTom's referenced page.

We are not currently Facebook/Twitter/webpaged members of the cruising community
Jim:

It's all explained when you sign up for the service. It's a no-brainer; just turn it on for public access, pick a start date if you want, and anyone can go to share.delorme.com/your-account-name. You could also restrict who can see it, if you'd prefer.

You won't regret buying the InReach. Like you, I'm a social media luddite; this tracking page placated the always-have-to-be-connected shoreside crowd.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 14:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Interesting. How?

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/p/mais

Remember though that other boats won't see you on their AIS, you'll only appear on the MarineTraffic website. Not much use for collision avoidance but handy for someone else tracking you.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 14:33   #24

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

CaptTom

THANKS HEAPS!

I've pulled the trigger and I'm sure from all the great press - won't regret having it. Sounds like it follows the G-Drive/Dropbox model - easy~peasy. And yes it , I hope it will placate those nervous siblings.

Thanks again.

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote