Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 14:58   #31

Boat: Kalik30
Re: How Do I Overlay DSC Waypionts / Track Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
It is good to test ...

.... Please let me know if there is any use for posting the Windows executable.

In any case the recorded data stream would be useful.
I'm interesed in a windows executable!
Will feed u a recorded stream in the next days.
This is my sandbox:

Sportbootschule Tauwerk 0451 6206862

Linked radio is 211000411

regards, chris
christian.kautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:19   #32

Re: How Do I Overlay DSC Waypoints / Track Buddy

The DSC/DSE- and FRPOS- enabled OpenCPN is available for download from opencpn_2.5.1318_setup.exe - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

BUT

1. It is still 2.5... (I did not yet look enough at 2.6), so no other plugins pls...
2. It is solely a probe for potential functionality, not a final thing
3. It takes DSCDSE and FRPOS sentences in the AIS NMEA stream
4. DSC and FRPOS targets are displayed and treated similar to AIS targets

re: 2. Dave's wish was to package such functions into a plugin. Future.
re: 3. This is because of the choice of AIS-like approach, for some it will be good, for some it will be bad.
re: 4. Alternative approach would be to simply drop Waypoints at every Position Report received. In this case the GPS data stream would be more appropriate.

My current thinking is that AIS- and WPT- approaches do not conflict, and both might be implemented, with the user selecting, what action should be performed upon receiving a Postion Report. Selecting alternatively GPS or AIS stream is a more technical issue. It would perhaps be natural to handle events coming in via GPS stream as WPTs and those coming via AIS as Targets...

Piotr

PS. 2.5.1318 includes also Route Planning with GRIB as described in the appropriate threads.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:31   #33

Boat: Phantom 19

Pjotr...
Is the code the same as posted in flyspray or does it differ? If it's another version, please update the patch in flyspray so that it's easier to pick it up for 2.6. No problem if you post the patch against 2.5.0 codebase - it didn't look that difficult to apply to the trunk.

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:42   #34

Pavel,

It should be the same thing... surprisingly I had to fix 2 small issues, probably a manual glitch when editing.

BUT, this is solely an apetizer to investigate what and how is done best. Not easy to get real experience with this.

P.
Old 18-01-2012, 14:02   #35

Quote:
The DSC/DSE- and FRPOS- enabled OpenCPN is available for download from opencpn_2.5.1318_setup.exe - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download ............
tnx, will try this tomorrow.
Changed my hardware today so i've 4 NMEA signals:
GPS at 4.800bd, AIS + GPS bundled at 38.400bd, DSC at 4.800bd, other instruments at 4.800bd

My AIS (NASA AIS blackbox) bundles incoming GPS data into a combined stream, but doesnt accept DSC signals. Guess i will try a software multiplexer to combine the streams, any hints?

For me it would be easier to feed the DSC into the GPS port (instead of the GPS signals). But anyway, seems to be a fast approach to the solution.
Regards, Chris
Old 19-01-2012, 00:40   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.kautz View Post
For me it would be easier to feed the DSC into the GPS port (instead of the GPS signals). But anyway, seems to be a fast approach to the solution.
An even faster approach is to run 2 instances of OpenCPN (one for DSC tracking and for planning, and 2.6 in Portable mode for all else underway...).

Before adopting OpenCPN I used 2 separate applications for navigation and for AIS tracking quite happily.

P.
Old 23-01-2012, 09:20   #37

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

PjotrC, Hello.
I have been following your posts some time.
I am extremely interested in the whole DSC story, and sincerely hope it makes it into the next release Alpha code.
You have enough technical info on the sentences and the meanings, I would like to weigh in here with my opinion of the real utility of this while underway.

One of the most important functions I use is the position reporting via DSC. This has no effect on OpenCPN but be aware of it.

Example 1, I am sailing and come across a vessel on AIS that is transmitting and I can see that he is completely unaware of my presence, due bad radar target in bad sea state, clutter whatever. In the old days I could have called him and confirmed that he was aware of me. Now, I merely select his MMSI number off the list on my radio, and squirt a position report at him. This should place my vessel on his ECDIS with my POS/CRS/SPD if not at least on his radio.

Example 2, I am sailing with a buddy boat, and I would like his "track" to be on my screen. For example the north coast of Venezuela, where we run on a moonless night with navigation lights "malfunctioning" In the past, we select a "private" vhf channel, low power, and then pre arrange that to any reported longitude, we will add say, 2.34minutes, and latitude, say subtract 4.21minutes. This is in case of nasty people listening in. With DSC, we would set up an auto posrep every 15 minutes, and the radio will continue this until stopped. The result would be a "track" of points.

Example 3, an emergency situation, it would be good to have the position of the victim on the screen.

These are real world examples. I think the DSC system contemplates several categories of messages, DISTRESS, Urgency, Safety, Routine, Position Req, Position Rep, Automatic Position Polling, and Group calls (AFAIK)
Also the MRCC messages probably include their position, which could be helpful.

Section 9 of the user manual for the GX2150 refers (downloadable from Standard Horizon)

Furthermore, DISTRESS calls are classified, Fire, Sinking, Collision, MOB.

I would like to see the DSC stuff handled as WAYPOINTS not handled as AIS targets. I would like to see the type of call, as different waypoint icons depending on their classification, and then distress ones as different again indicating the nature of the emergency. The vocabulary of these "nature of distress" is defined by the IMO. I would like to see the received information displayed as a rollover in a box, giving Date, Time, Pos, COG, SOG, Nature and class of call in words.

This is not a feature request per se, its to give you a user view of personal "preferred implementation.

More and more radios are going to have this incorporated, and probably ATIS too. I think a separate com port is ideal, with a possibility of sharing an existing port. This opens a question, that if the port is AIS shared, how are the targets handled, AIS or WPT??

Kind regards and thank you for your interest.

Mike.

The
Old 23-01-2012, 09:33   #38

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I

I second all that. Would like to be able to interface DSC position info with OCPN.

Thx

- nick
ChannelIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:52   #39

@PjotrC: Thanks for ur work till here.
In most parts i agree with mikes wishlist, will extend it later here.
From my point of view its essential to make a clear decision how to connect the radio to openCPN. The DSC signals are mostly transmitted at 4.800bd - like most GPS. AIS transmits at 38.400bd. My AIS (like some other) can bundle 4.800bd GPS with the AIS 38.400bd stream, but this doesnt work with DSC. But this will change with some new radios and NMEA2000.
> There should be some flexible inputs with the opportunity to change speed AND destination.
> Handle buddy (position reports) and distress targets different! For both: each should be selected with one-klick as a waypoint.
> Distress target should be hightlighted and show the nature of distress permanent, all other info on hoover.
> Distress targets should not be deleted after a fixed time, but updated if a new alert with the same MMSI is received.

So far with my part of the wishlist for now. If u need any assistence from the praktical side i will help u. Ive most of the equipment and the experience how to handle it on hand. Just ask!

Regards, Chris
Old 23-01-2012, 14:55   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelIslander View Post
.... Would like to be able to interface DSC position info with OCPN.
Sorry, can u explain this?
Old 24-01-2012, 07:09   #41

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.kautz
Sorry, can u explain this?
Just agreeing with Pjotr.....
ChannelIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 11:43   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.kautz View Post
Ive most of the equipment and the experience how to handle it on hand.
Chris,

Did you succeed in software multiplexing 4800 DSC line with 38400 AIS feed? If yes, what did you use? If not, what did you try?

Piotr
Old 25-01-2012, 02:13   #43

Quote:
Chris,

Did you succeed in software multiplexing 4800 DSC line with 38400 AIS feed? If yes, what did you use? If not, what did you try?

Piotr
Did not really suceed until now. Tried VSPE and PolarCom, PolarCom displays the combined stream in the NMEAWindow but generates not output. Will check SirfDemo 3.87 today. Any hints?

regards, Chris
Old 25-01-2012, 02:22   #44

I did not do it, but the descriptions state the following tools definitely do multiplexing:

- GPSGate Client (not free, but not expensive either, this is the preferred tool, I think. 14 days free trial)
- NavMonPC
- SeaClear II

Good luck!

P.

PS. In 2.5.1318 DSC and FRPOS targets are not subject to ageing, so they stay on the chart until reset...
Old 22-02-2012, 02:35   #45

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Interesting concepts, As long as you are adding comports for other signals than AIS would it be possible to add another comport to receive and display TLL from a radar at 4800 baud
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc