Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 21:31   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
high traffic AIS logs

I have been informed that on very slow computers, opencpn becomes unresponsive rendering hundreds of AIS targets. I was hoping someone could post a log with lots of vessels (preferably more than 100) all moving at the same time so that I can investigate it.

From looking at the code, the ais rendering is no where near efficient for calculations or opengl, so I know I can do much better but I need to profile to under realistic conditions.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 23:18   #2

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: high traffic AIS logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I have been informed that on very slow computers, opencpn becomes unresponsive rendering hundreds of AIS targets. I was hoping someone could post a log with lots of vessels (preferably more than 100) all moving at the same time so that I can investigate it.

From looking at the code, the ais rendering is no where near efficient for calculations or opengl, so I know I can do much better but I need to profile to under realistic conditions.
Only obliquely related and you are more of a computer techie than I, but some dedicated sets also have issues. Vesper Marine's Watchmate engine craps out at around 200 targets, which renders it close to useless in areas like the Singapore Straits. Perhaps a similar issue for opencpn.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 00:16   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sean
I've been trying to save many of the nmea files uploaded and some others. Not sure if any have that great a density, but they are in opencpn beta file thing rguser rgpass under nmea.
If anyone has such a file I can tell them how to upload it.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 22:54   #4

Boat: Najad 34

Sean..
re: "I was hoping someone could post a log with lots of vessels (preferably more than 100) all moving at the same time so that I can investigate it"

Could you use a VDR file where nav data is from a network VDR replay and AIS targets from Marinetraffic? The AIS target are some 3-500 but all are of course not moving the at the same time.
If this double simulation could do it's here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5209364/AIS_test

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 00:24   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Sean..
re: "I was hoping someone could post a log with lots of vessels (preferably more than 100) all moving at the same time so that I can investigate it"

Could you use a VDR file where nav data is from a network VDR replay and AIS targets from Marinetraffic? The AIS target are some 3-500 but all are of course not moving the at the same time.
If this double simulation could do it's here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5209364/AIS_test

Håkan
How did you get the data out of marine traffic?

Very slight drift, but a couple of nights ago I was playing around with an arduino pretending to be a GPS. Making AIS sentences looks like some bit bashing beyond my meager skills but I might try outputting that data and see what happens to O.

Ta

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 00:51   #6

Ta..
re: How did you get the data out of marine traffic?
The VDR plugin can record whatever comes in to O. My sources was:
- A VDR replay of nav-data in a portable instance of O out to the local net as UDP.
- Marinetraffic data from a TCP IP on the net.

Is this an answer for your Q or did I misunderstood?

Håkan
Old 12-11-2015, 01:25   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Ta..
re: How did you get the data out of marine traffic?
The VDR plugin can record whatever comes in to O. My sources was:
- A VDR replay of nav-data in a portable instance of O out to the local net as UDP.
- Marinetraffic data from a TCP IP on the net.

Is this an answer for your Q or did I misunderstood?

Håkan
Answers it perfectly thanks. I wasn't aware you could get marine traffic data direct from a TCP IP online, can anyone do that or is it subscription?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 00:44   #8

cona...
Read more here for details:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1941923

Håkan
Old 14-11-2015, 08:32   #9

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

Sean

in case you have internet in R-Bay, try an internet AIS feed. I searched all morning for a working one, but only found this one, needs 'phantomjs' to scrape a webpage from SCOOS.org:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...et-150678.html

I currently see ~400 targets via this feed.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, logs