Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2012, 18:03   #1
bri

Help in creating 2 icons

Hi All
Downloaded a few icon making programmes but im not having much success making any?? first time using these and i havent a clue what im doing
Im only wanting 2 simple icons made ( simple for some, not too me ), both icons approx 6mm in diameter and a solid mustard yellow in color, but one with a grey cross on it, overlapping the diameter of the circle by a couple of mm,
Id really appreciate it if someone could help,
thanks
Bri
bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 19:04   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Help in creating 2 icons

bri, try Greenfish Icon Editor available here....free. Greenfish Icon Editor Pro Freeware download and reviews from SnapFiles It can save in the ".xpm" format that OpenCPN demands and is as easy to use as Microsoft Paint. A good size for custom waypoint icons is about 32 pixels square . You can also use xnview which can create and save in xpm format. (Irfanview cannot save in xpm) Read the OpenCPN help file for how to use the icons and here:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post813813 and even here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ighlight=icons where there are plenty of examples to download and redo yourself to get the hang of it... To use em , boils down to making a special folder to put them in called "UserIcons" ,in OpenCPN's program files.... Hope that helps. It's actually harder to describe than do, once you've got yer own icon onscreen, you'll agree it's easy I hope shortcut to help-go about halfway down...Marks and Routes | Official OpenCPN Homepage
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 05:04   #3
bri

Many thanks for the help, downloaded greenfish and its exactly what im looking for, really appreciated.

Next problem is i have made up different sets of waypoints which have different icons. But when loaded up, icons revert to triangles, is it possible to set my icons into the programme so that my waypoints and icons will always load properly??

Thanks
Brian
bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 08:02   #4

Boat: 29'

O should save your choice for WPT icons. To do that, Right click the waypoint, choose Properties,then there's a drop down list of icons which, if you made a UserIcons folder in the right place, (on XP its in Program Files\OpenCPN\UserIcons\... win7 its same but called Program Data )- click the ? on Toolbar will tell you the same...) will include yours.

If you want to Backup/save that one waypoint or all of them, goto RouteManager on the toolbar,and look for the "Export Waypoint" button or "Export All" (which is a total backup including routes,tracks,wpts)....
The export format is "GPX" and this can be opened in lots of Nav stuff- Mapsource, Ozi, Nobletec, PolarNavy etc but you won't see your icons, because these apps won't have em aboard-they are OPCN only so these others will use their defaults...

Xtra, advanced...ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE NEWER BETAS,(and in the upcoming NewVersion! to load your own icons as a default every time you make a WPT in OPCN by editing the ini file below [Settings/Others]...as in DefaultWPIcon=diamond or whatever.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote