Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 09:18   #526

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenskl View Post
Fabbian,

Thanks for the response. See you have a Gem. My favorite boat.
I really like mine. The ride is so much more comfortable than on its predecessor, a Hunter 25.

Quote:
When I clicked OK to the error mesage, openCPN did nothing. It didn't just continue without the GPS function. It showed as "Running" in the Task Manager, but was not visable to me.

The GPS had been plugged in and had a "working" signal.
My BU-353 GPS came with a little program that shows the data it's sending so you can see if it's active and has a good connection. If that program is running it monopolizes the com port and OpenCPN can't connect to the GPS. Could something like that have had anything to do with your problem?

Quote:
I did have the installation program on my computer. Tried to reinstall from there, but that did not work. (Maybe if I had checked all the reset boxes it would have.) I tried uninstall, but it did not get rid of all the openCPN fliles. So, I deleted what I could find and tried a download. That time I checked all the reset boxes. openCPN seemed to reinstall OK and seems to be working.

It is disconcerting to not know why it could not open the port and just stopped working and to not know if a reinstall from my pc will work if needed. Guess I could test the latter if I find the time.

Just speculation, but I feel like it was a Windows 7 problem. Wonder how many openCPN users are using Windows 7.
I think you're probably right about it being a Windows 7 problem. I had a little trouble initially getting OpenCPN working on my Windows 7 computer but it works fine now. I don't remember all the details but I think I had to fiddle with compatibility modes for OpenCPN and for the GPS driver.

Quote:
Thanks again for the help.

Ken
You're welcome, although the help was more attempted than actual.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:17   #527

Boat: 29'

emenski,if you copy the config folder when open cpn is working(you can see it's location by clicking the "?") and then just recopy it back when O crashes,that'll save all this reinstalling stuff...The Program files don't get written to much and so reinstalling them is probably a waste of time...
Or,try this...delete,rename or just move the config folder and restart opencpn.exe.That'll act like fresh install for you.

Finally,but really it should be first,hunt down that config folder and look at opencpn.log-it's just a text file,a notepad file.Have a look from the bottom up (the latest entries)and if you can see the crash.-copy and paste it here if you can't make sense of it..not the whole thing,just the incident time you started it or even less if you want to edit for privacy......we're trying to help but it's sort of blasting ants with shotguns without some more info.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 14:05   #528

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

Since you said that the GPS was initialized, I guess you had checked this with another program - as FGD3 states, it occupies the comport so that no other program can access this comport until this other program has released the comport again.

When such thing happens I have seen that OCPN and also other programs get stuck or freezes for a while.

When starting OCPN or other comport reliant software, do not start other comport reliant software unless you know that it asks for another "free" comport.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:46   #529

I just discovered OpenCPN and downloaded it to my laptop so I could begin to learn to use it. I purchased a BU-353, installed the software that came with it on a disk.
Next I printed the OpenCPN Manual and had it spiral bound to make it easier to refer to while I am learning it on my laptop.
The first thing I ran into, was on this forum's Getting Started Page, where Frank reccommends to download the 353 driver form the website to get the latest version. So I removed the driver I had loaded from the disk, then discovered I had to use a remove utility. That successfully completed and the latest driver downloaded (3.3.17.203 ), I began to read how to use the NOAA RNC's and ENC's.
I downloaded ALL of them . Then extracted the files and left them in place in the download folder.
When I went to the tools-charts window in OpenCpn and selected the entire files.... WAHLAH!!!! NUTHING...

Is there somebody that remembers what it is like to be completely new to making downloaded chart files work with this program , who can guide me please...????
students is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 16:48   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by students View Post
...... I downloaded ALL of them . Then extracted the files and left them in place in the download folder. When I went to the tools-charts window in OpenCpn and selected the entire files.... WAHLAH!!!! NUTHING...
just point Opencpn to the folder the charts are in and click the Add button...don't select the actual files...O will open what it can that's in the folder (or folders-you can add several folders)
Old 02-10-2011, 19:15   #531

Thanks, I was pointing to the file instead of the Downloads file... that worked ... now I need to thin it out a little.. ALL Charts is TOO many in one folder.. LOL
students is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 20:52   #532

Boat: O'Day, 26, 25' 8"

Answers to the problem analysis questions -

1. I was relying on the blinking red light light on the GPS unit as the indicator that the unit was working. I was not using any software that would have monopolized the port.

2. I think I found the config folder. The beginning of it is copied in below. It seems to just show when I did the reinstall. I assume that wiped out the log that would have shown where O was when it stalled. If it stalls again, I'll look at the log and share it for those who actually understand such stuff. Please confirm that this is the file requested.

I don't have a clue as to how to save this and recopy it back when O crashes to preclude a reinstall. (Nor understand how that would work.) So, an explanation of that process would be appreciated.

Ken

21:36:04:

21:36:04: 2011-09-30
21:36:04: -------Starting opencpn-------
21:36:04: Version 2.5.0 Build 2011-07-26
21:36:04: MemoryStatus: mem_total: 3835 mb, mem_initial: 10 mb
21:36:04: SData_Locn is C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\
21:36:04: Creating new Config_File: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini
21:36:04: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
21:36:04: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
21:36:04: Error: Failed to copy the file 'C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml' to 'C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml.1' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)
21:36:04: System default Language: en_US
21:36:04: Retrieving initial language selection from Windows Registry
9:36:04 PM: Opencpn language set to: en_US
9:36:55 PM: Using s57data in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\s57data
9:36:55 PM: Using Tide/Current data from: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\tcdata\
9:36:55 PM: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
9:36:55 PM: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
9:36:55 PM: NMEA Data Source is....NONE
9:36:55 PM: AIS Data Source is....NONE
9:36:55 PM: Using WVSChart datafile: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\wvsdata\wvs43.dat
9:36:55 PM: NMEA AutoPilot Port is....NONE
9:36:55 PM: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins
9:36:55 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/dashboard_pi.dll
9:36:55 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/grib_pi.dll
9:36:55 PM: Retrieving initial Chart Directory set from Windows Registry
9:36:55 PM: ChartDB Cache policy: Application target is 1917 MBytes
9:36:55 PM: ChartDB Cache policy: Application target is 1917 MBytes
9:36:56 PM: Searching directory: C:\NOAA Charts Coast Guard Division 05 RNCs for *.kap
9:36:56 PM: Loading chart data for C:\NOAA Charts Coast Guard Division 05 RNCs\BSB_ROOT\11009\11009_1.KAP
9:36:56 PM: Loading chart data for C:\NOAA Charts Coast Guard Division 05 RNCs\BSB_ROOT\11520\11520_1.KAP
9:36:56 PM: Loading chart data for C:\NOAA Charts Coast Guard Division 05 RNCs\BSB_ROOT\11534\11534_1.KAP
9:36:56 PM: Loading chart data for C:\NOAA Charts Coast Guard Division 05 RNCs\BSB_ROOT\11534\11534_2.KAP
emenskl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 22:55   #533

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:

Answers to the problem analysis questions -

1. I was relying on the blinking red light light on the GPS unit as the indicator that the unit was working. I was not using any software that would have monopolized the port.
Is the GPS you're using a BU-353? If so, the blinking red light indicates it is getting power from the USB port and has located itself. There's no guarantee that Windows has assigned it a com port or can see the data flowing from it.

Quote:
2. I think I found the config folder. The beginning of it is copied in below. It seems to just show when I did the reinstall. I assume that wiped out the log that would have shown where O was when it stalled. If it stalls again, I'll look at the log and share it for those who actually understand such stuff. Please confirm that this is the file requested.
The file you quoted appears to be opencpn.log produced from the first run after a new install. That's the one that was requested, but it won't be too helpful because, as you said, it wiped out the older log file that would have been written when the error occurred. But now you know how to find it, so if the problem happens again you'll be able to post the log file showing the error.

Quote:
I don't have a clue as to how to save this and recopy it back when O crashes to preclude a reinstall. (Nor understand how that would work.) So, an explanation of that process would be appreciated.
OpenCPN for Windows uses two folders. On my W7 computer the program files are in C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenCPN. The configuration files and the log file are in C:\ProgramData\OpenCPN. I think if you copy opencpn.ini to some other location you can later restore that configuration by simply copying it back to C:\ProgramData\OpenCPN. It's just a text file, so you can examine it with Notepad. Note that it's the configuration file you want to be able to save and restore, not the log file.

Hope that helps.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:27   #534

Thanks again. Towards further analysis-

Yes, my GPS is a BU-353 and was plugged into port COM3. The error message from O was "Could not open serial port COM3". So it would seem that O did not even get to the point where it would be trying to read data from that port.

I don't see a "Program Data" file, but my system finds it if I put "C:\ProgramData\opencpn" into the path box. I don't see a "opencpn.ini", but there is a file "opencpn" with a "Type" of "configuration sett". I copied it in below.Is that the right one?

I would think that every O user who does not alter the system defaults on installation would be seeing the same system files. So, that too is a mystery to me. That well may be a Windows 7 question and not an O question. Maybe the Program Data file is hidden?

Ken

[ChartDirectories]
ChartDir1=C:\\NOAA Charts Coast Guard Division 05 RNCs^
ChartDir2=C:\\NOAA Charts Coast Guard Division 07_RNCs^
[PlugIns]
[PlugIns/Dashboard]
bEnabled=0
[PlugIns/GRIB]
bEnabled=0
[Settings]
ConfigVersionString=Version 2.5.0 Build 2011-07-26
NavMessageShown=1
ShowDebugWindows=1
ShowPrintIcon=0
SetSystemTime=0
ShowGrid=0
PlayShipsBells=0
FullscreenToolbar=1
TransparentToolbar=1
ShowLayers=1
ShowDepthUnits=1
AutoAnchorDrop=0
ShowChartOutlines=1
GarminPersistance=1
UseGarminHost=0
SDMMFormat=0
FilterNMEA_Avg=0
FilterNMEA_Sec=1
CM93DetailFactor=0
CM93DetailZoomPosX=200
CM93DetailZoomPosY=200
ShowCM93DetailSlider=0
AllowExtremeOverzoom=1
SkewToNorthUp=1
UseRasterCharts=1
UseVectorCharts=0
UseCM93Charts=0
CourseUpMode=0
LookAheadMode=0
COGUPAvgSeconds=5
OwnshipCOGPredictorMinutes=5
ChartQuilting=1
FullScreenQuilt=1
ChartQuiltingInitial=0
NMEALogWindowSizeX=400
NMEALogWindowSizeY=100
NMEALogWindowPosX=10
NMEALogWindowPosY=10
PreserveScaleOnX=0
StartWithTrackActive=0
AutomaticDailyTracks=0
InitialStackIndex=0
InitialdBIndex=182
AnchorWatch1GUID=
AnchorWatch2GUID=
ToolbarX=0
ToolbarY=0
ToolbarOrient=4
PlanSpeed=6
Locale=en_US
KeepNavobjBackups=5
[Settings/GlobalState]
VPLatLon=" 39.7526, -74.0905"
VPScale=0.0478912
OwnShipLatLon=" 39.7563, -74.1186"
bFollow=0
nColorScheme=0
FrameWinX=1120
FrameWinY=602
FrameWinPosX=-31992
FrameWinPosY=-31972
FrameMax=0
bShowS57Text=0
bShowS57ImportantTextOnly=0
nDisplayCategory=83
nSymbolStyle=82
nBoundaryStyle=78
bShowSoundg=1
bShowMeta=0
bUseSCAMIN=1
bShowAtonText=1
bShowLightDescription=0
bDeClutterText=0
S52_MAR_SAFETY_CONTOUR=8
S52_MAR_SHALLOW_CONTOUR=3
S52_MAR_DEEP_CONTOUR=10
S52_MAR_TWO_SHADES=1
S52_DEPTH_UNIT_SHOW=1
[Settings/AIS]
bNoCPAMax=0
NoCPAMaxNMi=20
bCPAWarn=0
CPAWarnNMi=2
bTCPAMax=0
TCPAMaxMinutes=30
bMarkLostTargets=1
MarkLost_Minutes=8
bRemoveLostTargets=1
RemoveLost_Minutes=10
bShowCOGArrows=1
CogArrowMinutes=6
bShowTargetTracks=0
TargetTracksMinutes=20
bShowMooredTargets=1
MooredTargetMaxSpeedKnots=0.2
bAISAlertDialog=0
bAISAlertAudio=0
AISAlertAudioFile=
bAISAlertSuppressMoored=0
AlertDialogSizeX=200
AlertDialogSizeY=200
AlertDialogPosX=200
AlertDialogPosY=200
QueryDialogPosX=200
QueryDialogPosY=200
AISTargetListPerspective=
AISTargetListRange=40
AISTargetListSortColumn=2
bAISTargetListSortReverse=0
AISTargetListColumnSpec=
S57QueryDialogSizeX=200
S57QueryDialogSizeY=200
bAISRolloverShowClass=0
bAISRolloverShowCOG=0
bAISRolloverShowCPA=0
bAISAlertAckTimeout=0
AlertAckTimeoutMinutes=0
[Settings/NMEADataSource]
Source=Serial:COM3
BaudRate=4800
[Settings/NMEAAutoPilotPort]
Port=None
[Settings/WiFiServer]
Server=NONE
[Settings/AISPort]
Port=None
[Settings/MSWFonts]
FontConsoleLegend=Console Legend:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
FontConsoleValue=Console Value:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
FontToolTips=ToolTips:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
[Settings/Others]
ShowRadarRings=0
RadarRingsNumberVisible=1
RadarRingsStep=1
RadarRingsStepUnits=0
WaypointPreventDragging=0
EnableZoomToCursor=0
ShowTrackIcon=1
TrackIntervalSeconds=60
TrackDeltaDistance=0.1
EnableTrackByTime=1
EnableTrackByDistance=0
[Directories]
S57DataLocation=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\OpenCPN\\s57data
SENCFileLocation=C:\\ProgramData\\opencpn\\SENC
PresentationLibraryData=
CM93DictionaryLocation=
InitChartDir=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\OpenCPN
GPXIODir=
[AUI]
AUIPerspective=layout2|name=ChartCanvas;caption=;s tate=768;dir=5;layer=0;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bes tw=1602;besth=800;minw=-1;minh=-1;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|name=PianoStats;caption=;state=764;dir=3;layer=0 ;row=0;pos=1;prop=100000;bestw=1602;besth=22;minw=-1;minh=-1;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|dock_size(5,0,0)=331|dock_size(3,0,0)=24|
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33   #535

Emenski,I don't have W7,but Program Data is a folder....
thing is,if a crash happens again,you'll see it in the log,if you have a look before reinstalling...OpenCPN writes to it every time you use it.A good day is when the entry ends with "opencpn::MyApp exiting cleanly..."
so if there's a crash,the last entry won't end with that phrase.the stuff written above would then be a clue.
as you use Opencpn,it writes things to ini,log,xml files and so forth specific to your installation,but if they don't exist,opencpn.exe will create fresh copies.
the ini file tells OpenCPN about what you want on startup and how things were when you quit -it tells OpenCPN about your computer,where it needs to look for charts .
the file named OpenCPN.exe and the other files\folders are the same names on all windows machines but opencpn writes different things in some of them...
OpenCPN.exe knows a lot about windows,but it expects a generic windows not one with an a rogue antivirus,or a bad usb connection or a gps not installed right....

if you can.t find opencpn.exe,(or any ".exe")then your windows is hiding files from you.It's a safety feature.like covers over a fanbelt.
Old 03-10-2011, 17:53   #536
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Emenski:

Sounds like your system is set to not show the file extensions.

You can change that in Win7 by following these instructions from the Microsoft web site:

==> Show or hide file name extensions

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 18:04   #537

Well I tried O just to see if it would still work for me.

Got the problem message "Could not open serial port COM3.

Below is the O log. Doesn't mean much to me. Hopefully someone technically savy will identify the problem. Yes sadly it did not end with "exiting cleanly". I think the front end of the log from when I last looked is missing. Maybe there is some size limit and it just keeps the latest information.

It seemed to be working fine when I last stopped using it. I don't recall how I closed it. And, I may have set the COM port to none, based on some recomendation on the help site.

My BU 353 is connected to COM3 and seems to be working based on the blinking red light. It has been there and connected since I last used O. I did shut down the PC last night and restarted it this morning.

Ken

[ChartDirectories]
[PlugIns]
[PlugIns/Dashboard]
bEnabled=0
[PlugIns/GRIB]
bEnabled=0
[Settings]
NavMessageShown=1
ShowDebugWindows=1
ShowPrintIcon=0
SetSystemTime=0
ShowGrid=0
PlayShipsBells=0
FullscreenToolbar=1
TransparentToolbar=1
ShowLayers=1
ShowDepthUnits=1
AutoAnchorDrop=0
ShowChartOutlines=1
GarminPersistance=1
UseGarminHost=0
SDMMFormat=0
FilterNMEA_Avg=0
FilterNMEA_Sec=1
CM93DetailFactor=0
CM93DetailZoomPosX=200
CM93DetailZoomPosY=200
ShowCM93DetailSlider=0
AllowExtremeOverzoom=1
SkewToNorthUp=1
UseRasterCharts=1
UseVectorCharts=0
UseCM93Charts=0
CourseUpMode=0
LookAheadMode=0
COGUPAvgSeconds=5
ChartQuilting=1
FullScreenQuilt=1
ChartQuiltingInitial=0
NMEALogWindowSizeX=400
NMEALogWindowSizeY=100
NMEALogWindowPosX=10
NMEALogWindowPosY=10
PreserveScaleOnX=0
StartWithTrackActive=0
AutomaticDailyTracks=0
InitialStackIndex=0
InitialdBIndex=182
AnchorWatch1GUID=
AnchorWatch2GUID=
ToolbarX=0
ToolbarY=0
ToolbarOrient=4
PlanSpeed=6
Locale=en_US
KeepNavobjBackups=5
[Settings/GlobalState]
VPScale=0.0478912
bFollow=0
nColorScheme=0
FrameWinX=1120
FrameWinY=602
FrameWinPosX=-31984
FrameWinPosY=-31944
FrameMax=0
bShowS57Text=0
nDisplayCategory=83
nSymbolStyle=82
nBoundaryStyle=78
bShowSoundg=1
bShowMeta=0
bUseSCAMIN=1
bShowAtonText=1
bShowLightDescription=0
bDeClutterText=0
S52_MAR_SAFETY_CONTOUR=8
S52_MAR_DEEP_CONTOUR=10
S52_MAR_TWO_SHADES=1
S52_DEPTH_UNIT_SHOW=1
[Settings/AIS]
bNoCPAMax=0
NoCPAMaxNMi=20
bCPAWarn=0
CPAWarnNMi=2
bTCPAMax=0
TCPAMaxMinutes=30
bMarkLostTargets=1
MarkLost_Minutes=8
bRemoveLostTargets=1
RemoveLost_Minutes=10
bShowCOGArrows=1
CogArrowMinutes=6
bShowTargetTracks=0
TargetTracksMinutes=20
bShowMooredTargets=1
bAISAlertDialog=0
bAISAlertAudio=0
AISAlertAudioFile=
AlertDialogSizeX=200
AlertDialogSizeY=200
AlertDialogPosX=200
AlertDialogPosY=200
QueryDialogPosX=200
QueryDialogPosY=200
AISTargetListRange=40
AISTargetListColumnSpec=
S57QueryDialogSizeX=200
S57QueryDialogSizeY=200
bAISRolloverShowClass=0
bAISRolloverShowCOG=0
bAISRolloverShowCPA=0
bAISAlertAckTimeout=0
AlertAckTimeoutMinutes=0
BaudRate=4800
Port=None
[Settings/WiFiServer]
Server=NONE
[Settings/AISPort]
Port=None
[Settings/MSWFonts]
FontConsoleLegend=Console Legend:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
FontConsoleValue=Console Value:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
[Settings/Others]
ShowRadarRings=0
RadarRingsStep=1
RadarRingsStepUnits=0
EnableZoomToCursor=0
ShowTrackIcon=1
TrackIntervalSeconds=60
TrackDeltaDistance=0.1
EnableTrackByTime=1
EnableTrackByDistance=0
[Directories]
PresentationLibraryData=
CM93DictionaryLocation=
GPXIODir=
[AUI]
AUIPerspective=layout2|name=ChartCanvas;caption=;s tate=768;dir=5;layer=0;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bes tw=1602;besth=800;minw=-1;minh=-1;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|name=PianoStats;caption=;state=764;dir=3;layer=0 ;row=0;pos=1;prop=100000;bestw=1602;besth=22;minw=-1;minh=-1;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|dock_size(5,0,0)=331|dock_size(3,0,0)=24|
Old 03-10-2011, 18:21   #538

Oops. I see I had a prior mesage from Dan. Did the show file extentions change, and also selected to show hidden files.

Went back to look at the program data files and see that my previous reply was with the wrong file. The log file is below. Again, I hope for the technically savy person to make something of it.

Ken

[ChartDirectories]
[PlugIns]
[PlugIns/Dashboard]
bEnabled=0
[PlugIns/GRIB]
bEnabled=0
[Settings]
NavMessageShown=1
ShowDebugWindows=1
ShowPrintIcon=0
SetSystemTime=0
ShowGrid=0
PlayShipsBells=0
FullscreenToolbar=1
TransparentToolbar=1
ShowLayers=1
ShowDepthUnits=1
AutoAnchorDrop=0
ShowChartOutlines=1
GarminPersistance=1
UseGarminHost=0
SDMMFormat=0
FilterNMEA_Avg=0
FilterNMEA_Sec=1
CM93DetailFactor=0
CM93DetailZoomPosX=200
CM93DetailZoomPosY=200
ShowCM93DetailSlider=0
AllowExtremeOverzoom=1
SkewToNorthUp=1
UseRasterCharts=1
UseVectorCharts=0
UseCM93Charts=0
CourseUpMode=0
LookAheadMode=0
COGUPAvgSeconds=5
ChartQuilting=1
FullScreenQuilt=1
ChartQuiltingInitial=0
NMEALogWindowSizeX=400
NMEALogWindowSizeY=100
NMEALogWindowPosX=10
NMEALogWindowPosY=10
PreserveScaleOnX=0
StartWithTrackActive=0
AutomaticDailyTracks=0
InitialStackIndex=0
InitialdBIndex=182
AnchorWatch1GUID=
AnchorWatch2GUID=
ToolbarX=0
ToolbarY=0
ToolbarOrient=4
PlanSpeed=6
Locale=en_US
KeepNavobjBackups=5
[Settings/GlobalState]
VPScale=0.0478912
bFollow=0
nColorScheme=0
FrameWinX=1120
FrameWinY=602
FrameWinPosX=-31984
FrameWinPosY=-31944
FrameMax=0
bShowS57Text=0
nDisplayCategory=83
nSymbolStyle=82
nBoundaryStyle=78
bShowSoundg=1
bShowMeta=0
bUseSCAMIN=1
bShowAtonText=1
bShowLightDescription=0
bDeClutterText=0
S52_MAR_SAFETY_CONTOUR=8
S52_MAR_DEEP_CONTOUR=10
S52_MAR_TWO_SHADES=1
S52_DEPTH_UNIT_SHOW=1
[Settings/AIS]
bNoCPAMax=0
NoCPAMaxNMi=20
bCPAWarn=0
CPAWarnNMi=2
bTCPAMax=0
TCPAMaxMinutes=30
bMarkLostTargets=1
MarkLost_Minutes=8
bRemoveLostTargets=1
RemoveLost_Minutes=10
bShowCOGArrows=1
CogArrowMinutes=6
bShowTargetTracks=0
TargetTracksMinutes=20
bShowMooredTargets=1
bAISAlertDialog=0
bAISAlertAudio=0
AISAlertAudioFile=
AlertDialogSizeX=200
AlertDialogSizeY=200
AlertDialogPosX=200
AlertDialogPosY=200
QueryDialogPosX=200
QueryDialogPosY=200
AISTargetListRange=40
AISTargetListColumnSpec=
S57QueryDialogSizeX=200
S57QueryDialogSizeY=200
bAISRolloverShowClass=0
bAISRolloverShowCOG=0
bAISRolloverShowCPA=0
bAISAlertAckTimeout=0
AlertAckTimeoutMinutes=0
BaudRate=4800
Port=None
[Settings/WiFiServer]
Server=NONE
[Settings/AISPort]
Port=None
[Settings/MSWFonts]
[Settings/Others]
ShowRadarRings=0
RadarRingsStep=1
RadarRingsStepUnits=0
EnableZoomToCursor=0
ShowTrackIcon=1
TrackIntervalSeconds=60
TrackDeltaDistance=0.1
EnableTrackByTime=1
EnableTrackByDistance=0
[Directories]
PresentationLibraryData=
CM93DictionaryLocation=
GPXIODir=
[AUI]
Old 03-10-2011, 20:28   #539
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

emenski:

That's your opencpn.ini file.

In the same directory, there should be an opencpn.log file. It'd be good if you could post that, as well.

FYI: I am on Wn7. My log file and ini file both show up in two places. It doesn't show in Explorer as either is a shortcut, but if I rename a file in one, it renames it in the other.

So, one of these paths below is just a shortcut to the other.
  • C:\ProgramData\opencpn\
  • C:\Users\All Users\opencpn\
Maybe someone else that understands the mysterious inner workings of Windoze can explain...

Looking at the log file below, it looks like OCPN uses the C:\ProgramData\opencpn\ path.

For example, my .log file looks like this:

Code:
23:07:06: 

23:07:06: 2011-10-03
23:07:06:  -------Starting opencpn-------
23:07:06: Version 2.5.0 Build 2011-07-26
23:07:06: MemoryStatus:  mem_total: 5887 mb,  mem_initial: 10 mb
23:07:06: SData_Locn is C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\
23:07:06: Using existing Config_File: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini
23:07:06: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 35.9712, -104.243
23:07:06: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 32.7805, -79.955
23:07:06: System default Language:  en_US
11:07:06 PM: Opencpn language set to:  en_US
11:07:09 PM: Using s57data in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\s57data
11:07:09 PM: Using Tide/Current data from:  C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\tcdata\
11:07:09 PM: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 35.9712, -104.243
11:07:09 PM: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 32.7805, -79.955
11:07:09 PM: NMEA Data Source is....Serial:AIS Port (Shared)
11:07:09 PM: AIS Data Source is....None
11:07:09 PM: Using WVSChart datafile: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\wvsdata\wvs43.dat
11:07:09 PM: NMEA AutoPilot Port is....None
11:07:10 PM: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins
11:07:10 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/dashboard_pi.dll
11:07:10 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/grib_pi.dll
11:07:10 PM: ChartDB Cache policy:  Application target is 2943 MBytes
11:07:10 PM: Loading chart db version: V016
11:07:10 PM: Chartdb: Chart directory list follows
11:07:10 PM:   Chart directory #0: C:\charts\ENC_ROOT
11:07:10 PM:   Chart directory #1: C:\charts\USArivers
11:07:10 PM: GPS Watchdog Timeout is: 6 sec.
11:07:20 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/dashboard_pi.dll
11:07:20 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/grib_pi.dll
11:07:20 PM: opencpn::MyFrame exiting cleanly.
11:07:20 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/dashboard_pi.dll
11:07:20 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/grib_pi.dll
11:07:20 PM: LOGBOOK:  2011-10-04 03:07:20 UTC OFF: Lat   32.78050 Lon  -79.95500
11:07:20 PM: opencpn::MyApp exiting cleanly...
And my .ini looks like this (ignore that the order of mine is different from yours, and contains some stuff yours doesn't...)
Code:
[Settings]
ShowDebugWindows=1
ShowPrintIcon=0
SetSystemTime=0
ShowDepthUnits=1
AutoAnchorDrop=0
ShowChartOutlines=1
GarminPersistance=1
CM93DetailFactor=5
CM93DetailZoomPosX=200
CM93DetailZoomPosY=200
ShowCM93DetailSlider=0
AllowExtremeOverzoom=1
ShowGRIBIcon=1
PlanSpeed=5
GRIBUseHiDef=0
GRIBDialogSizeX=293
GRIBDialogSizeY=509
GRIBDialogPosX=20
GRIBDialogPosY=20
PreserveScaleOnX=1
NMEALogWindowSizeX=400
NMEALogWindowSizeY=100
NMEALogWindowPosX=10
NMEALogWindowPosY=10
StartWithTrackActive=0
Locale=en_US
ChartQuilting=1
UseRasterCharts=1
UseVectorCharts=0
UseCM93Charts=0
CourseUpMode=0
COGUPAvgSeconds=15
InitialStackIndex=0
LookAheadMode=0
AnchorWatch1GUID=
AnchorWatch2GUID=
NavMessageShown=1
UseGarminHost=0
FilterNMEA_Avg=0
FilterNMEA_Sec=1
SkewToNorthUp=1
CM93DisplayOffsetX=0
CM93DisplayOffsetY=0
CM93DisplayOffsetOn=0
CM93DisplayOffsetEnable=0
ShowGrid=0
PlayShipsBells=0
FullScreenQuilt=1
ChartQuiltingInitial=1
AutomaticDailyTracks=0
FullscreenToolbar=0
InitialdBIndex=-1
TransparentToolbar=1
ShowLayers=1
SDMMFormat=0
ToolbarX=0
ToolbarY=0
ToolbarOrient=4
KeepNavobjBackups=5
[Settings/GlobalState]
VPLatLon="   33.8189, -106.2911"
VPScale=0.000140398
OwnShipLatLon="   32.7805,   -79.9550"
bFollow=0
nColorScheme=0
FrameWinX=1936
FrameWinY=1056
FrameMax=1
bShowS57Text=1
nDisplayCategory=77
nSymbolStyle=82
nBoundaryStyle=79
bShowSoundg=1
bShowMeta=1
bUseSCAMIN=1
bShowAtonText=1
bShowLightDescription=1
bDeClutterText=0
S52_MAR_SAFETY_CONTOUR=8
S52_MAR_DEEP_CONTOUR=10
S52_MAR_TWO_SHADES=0
S52_DEPTH_UNIT_SHOW=0
FrameWinPosX=0
FrameWinPosY=22
[Settings/AIS]
bNoCPAMax=0
NoCPAMaxNMi=20
bCPAWarn=0
CPAWarnNMi=2
bTCPAMax=0
TCPAMaxMinutes=30
bMarkLostTargets=1
MarkLost_Minutes=8
bRemoveLostTargets=1
RemoveLost_Minutes=10
bShowCOGArrows=1
CogArrowMinutes=5
bShowTargetTracks=0
TargetTracksMinutes=1
bShowMooredTargets=1
bAISAlertDialog=0
bAISAlertAudio=0
AISAlertAudioFile=
AlertDialogSizeX=200
AlertDialogSizeY=200
AlertDialogPosX=200
AlertDialogPosY=200
QueryDialogPosX=200
QueryDialogPosY=200
bAISRolloverShowClass=0
bAISRolloverShowCOG=0
bAISRolloverShowCPA=0
bAISAlertAckTimeout=0
AlertAckTimeoutMinutes=0
AISTargetListRange=40
AISTargetListColumnSpec=
S57QueryDialogSizeX=200
S57QueryDialogSizeY=200
Source=Serial:AIS Port (Shared)
BaudRate=4800
Port=None
[Settings/WiFiServer]
Server=NONE
[Settings/AISPort]
Port=None
[Settings/MSWFonts]
FontChInfoRollover=ChInfoRollover:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
FontMarks=Marks:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
FontAISRollover=AISRollover:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
FontRouteLegInfoRollover=RouteLegInfoRollover:0;-8;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;MS Sans Serif:rgb(0, 0, 0)
[Settings/Others]
ShowGPXIcons=0
ShowRadarRings=0
RadarRingsStep=1
RadarRingsStepUnits=0
EnableZoomToCursor=1
ShowTrackIcon=0
TrackIntervalSeconds=10
TrackDeltaDistance=0.1
EnableTrackByTime=0
EnableTrackByDistance=0
[Settings/ObjectFilter]
vizM_PROD=1
vizM_COVR=1
vizDEPARE=1
vizLNDARE=1
vizCOALNE=1
vizDEPCNT=1
viz_texto=1
vizUWTROC=1
vizRIVERS=1
vizLAKARE=1
vizLAKSHR=1
vizRIVBNK=1
viz\$LINES=1
vizM_SREL=1
vizFSHFAC=1
viz\$AREAS=1
vizOBSTRN=1
vizWRECKS=1
vizDRGARE=1
vizNATARE=1
vizSEAARE=1
vizRESARE=1
vizDMPGRD=1
vizLNDRGN=1
vizCTNARE=1
vizMIPARE=1
vizBUAARE=1
vizBRIDGE=1
vizCBLSUB=1
vizSLCONS=1
vizPRDINS=1
vizSBDARE=1
vizTNKCON=1
vizTOWERS=1
vizBCNSPP=1
vizBOYLAT=1
vizBOYSAW=1
vizBOYSPP=1
vizFOGSIG=1
vizLIGHTS=1
vizOFSPLF=1
vizRTPBCN=1
vizRDOSTA=1
vizTOPMAR=1
viz_extgn=1
vizSOUNDG=1
vizLITHOU=1
vizNAMFLO=1
vizNAMFIX=1
vizCGUSTA=1
vizWATTUR=1
vizZEMCNT=1
vizACHARE=1
viz\$COMPS=1
vizBCNISD=1
vizPILPNT=1
vizRADRFL=1
vizRADSTA=1
vizBUISGL=1
vizCHIMNY=1
vizPIPSOL=1
vizSISTAW=1
vizNAVLNE=1
vizRECTRC=1
vizAIRARE=1
vizBOYCAR=1
vizBOYISD=1
vizFAIRWY=1
vizBUIREL=1
vizDSHAER=1
vizSISTAT=1
vizTREPNT=1
vizMSTCON=1
vizEXEZNE=1
vizTESARE=1
vizCONZNE=1
vizFSHZNE=1
vizSTSLNE=1
vizLNDELV=1
vizCAUSWY=1
vizDAMCON=1
vizGATCON=1
vizBCNLAT=1
vizDRYDOC=1
vizSLIPWY=1
vizBRTFAC=1
vizHRBFAC=1
vizCBLARE=1
vizCBLOHD=1
vizMONUMT=1
viz\$CSYMB=1
vizM_QUAL=1
vizM_SDAT=1
vizM_NSYS=1
vizM_VDAT=1
vizMORFAC=1
vizSLOGRD=1
vizSLOTOP=1
vizPIPARE=1
vizLNDMRK=1
vizACHBRT=1
vizSILTNK=1
vizTS_FEB=1
vizROADWY=1
vizPILBOP=1
vizMARCUL=1
vizBOYINB=1
vizFORSTC=1
vizMAGVAR=1
vizCTRPNT=1
vizCURENT=1
vizRAILWY=1
vizHRBARE=1
vizADMARE=1
vizBCNSAW=1
vizUNSARE=1
vizSWPARE=1
vizPRCARE=1
vizISTZNE=1
vizTSSLPT=1
vizDWRTPT=1
vizTSSBND=1
vizTSEZNE=1
vizTSELNE=1
vizTSSRON=1
vizFLODOC=1
vizBCNCAR=1
vizDAYMAR=1
vizM_NPUB=1
vizM_CSCL=1
vizPRDARE=1
vizVEGATN=1
vizWEDKLP=1
vizCOSARE=1
vizFSHGRD=1
vizRCTLPT=1
vizTWRTPT=1
vizTSSCRS=1
vizOFSPRD=1
vizRCRTCL=1
vizLITFLT=1
vizLITVES=1
vizCANALS=1
vizCANBNK=1
vizRADRNG=1
vizRDOCAL=1
vizRSCSTA=1
vizWIMCON=1
vizPYLONS=1
vizC_AGGR=1
vizTUNNEL=1
vizVEGARE=1
vizLOKBSN=1
vizHULKES=1
vizFERYRT=1
vizCRANES=1
vizFLASTK=1
vizSILBUI=1
vizWNDMIL=1
vizDISMAR=1
vizRMPARE=1
vizLITMOI=1
vizTIDEWY=1
vizCTSARE=1
vizRADDOM=1
vizLNDPLC=1
vizLOGPON=1
vizSMCFAC=1
vizCONVYR=1
vizDYKCON=1
vizPIPOHD=1
vizFLGSTF=1
vizFNCLNE=1
vizOILBAR=1
vizLOCMAG=1
vizRETRFL=1
vizSNDWAV=1
vizPONTON=1
vizRUNWAY=1
vizDIFFUS=1
vizM_ACCY=1
vizBERTHS=1
vizSPLARE=1
vizRAPIDS=1
vizWATFAL=1
vizDWRTCL=1
vizICNARE=1
vizACHPNT=1
vizSPRING=1
vizICEARE=1
vizGRIDRN=1
vizTS_TIS=1
vizDOCARE=1
vizTS_PAD=1
vizTELPHC=1
vizWIRLNE=1
vizCUSZNE=1
vizCEMTRY=1
vizLNDSTS=1
vizCHNWIR=1
vizSLTPAN=1
vizROADPT=1
vizCAIRNS=1
vizM_HOPA=1
vizwtwaxs=1
vizboywtw=1
vizbcnwtw=1
vizcomare=1
viznotmrk=1
vizwtwprf=1
vizDYKCRW=1
vizRADLNE=1
viztermnl=1
vizbrgare=1
viz\$TEXTS=1
vizM_SSOR=1
vizrefdmp=1
vizlkbspt=1
vizOSPARE=1
[ChartDirectories]
ChartDir1=C:\\charts\\ENC_ROOT^6626656388252
ChartDir2=C:\\charts\\USArivers^1410613532362
[PlugIns]
[PlugIns/Celestial]
bEnabled=0
[PlugIns/Dashboard]
bEnabled=1
FontTitle=0;-13;0;0;0;400;1;0;0;1;0;0;2;16;Times New Roman
FontData=0;-19;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;1;0;0;2;16;Times New Roman
FontLabel=0;-12;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;1;0;0;2;16;Times New Roman
FontSmall=0;-11;0;0;0;400;0;0;0;1;0;0;2;16;Times New Roman
InstrumentWidth=150
InstrumentCount=3
Instrument1=0
Instrument2=4
Instrument3=20
[PlugIns/Demo]
bEnabled=0
[PlugIns/GRIB]
bEnabled=1
[AUI]
AUIPerspective=layout2|name=ChartCanvas;caption=;state=768;dir=5;layer=0;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=1922;besth=978;minw=-1;minh=-1;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|name=PianoStats;caption=;state=764;dir=3;layer=0;row=0;pos=1;prop=100000;bestw=1922;besth=22;minw=-1;minh=-1;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|name=Dashboard0V;caption=Dashboard;state=2099150;dir=4;layer=0;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=150;besth=377;minw=150;minh=377;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=0;floaty=0;floatw=166;floath=411|dock_size(5,0,0)=258|dock_size(3,0,0)=24|
[Directories]
PresentationLibraryData=
CM93DictionaryLocation=
InitChartDir=C:\\charts\\USArivers
GPXIODir=
GRIBDirectory=
-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 21:11   #540
Marine Service Provider

Hello...

Two issues, I think:

1. Not sure why COM3 does not come up. Looks OK in the .ini file Win7 issue? Need to look at Device Manager and see if the Windows knows about the port. If the port does not appear in Device Manager, OCPN won't find it.

2. OCPN is not visible. Known issue. See
FS#627 : Program Won't Open

Quick Fix: Edit opencpn.ini file and substitute

Code:
FrameWinPosX=0
FrameWinPosY=0
for

Code:
FrameWinPosX=-31984
FrameWinPosY=-31944

Thanks, and good luck.
Dave