Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 02:20   #1351

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Help / FAQ

Thanks, Pavel. Wow. Guess I'm used to a more structured development process (for Medical SW, & later at MSFT) with reviews of all docs along the way. Slower, perhaps, but at least everyone knows what's happening. But I've never done Open Source dev. Kind of amazing that it all works so well

OK, the only relevant place I've found in the Wiki is soon after the start of Route & Mark Manager. The 6th heading down is Export & Import GPX Files. (Layers doesn't have anything about importing that I could find.) Unless someone has a better idea, I'd put something in the list of bullet points, like:
  • Note that waypoints that are already in an included Layer, even a non-visible Layer, will not be imported. There is no warning that these waypoints have not been imported.
Hmm... What if a waypoint is already part of a route? Do route waypoints have GUIDs?
Old 16-03-2018, 05:20   #1352

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jon, this is done. If you want a message alert to pop up, please enter into Tracker as a Feature Request

PM me if you'd like to be a Wiki Editor.
See
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...port_gpx_files

and
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...nd_saving_data
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 05:23   #1353

Hmm... What if a waypoint is already part of a route? Do route waypoints have GUIDs?
To check look in the Navobj.xml and find one
or in Route Manager pick a route waypoint right-click and pick Properties, extended.

Answer: Yes
Old 16-03-2018, 07:17   #1354

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Waypoint is a waypoint (wpt entity in the GPX file). Route point (rtept entity in the GPX file) may, but does not have to, also be a waypoint. All the navobjects with the exception of track points (trkpt entity in the GPX file) do have a GUID in GPX produced by OpenCPN. The GUID is the primary identifier used to see if the object already exists or not. Two objects with the same GUID can not exist at the same time.
A waypoint may also be included in zero to many routes. A route point may not exist without a route though (= must be included in 1 to many existing routes and unlike a waypoint, it is also for example deleted with the last route it is part of).

Now that we have produced a lot of text describing it, does anybody understand and actually find this information worth something? I honestly do not see much use for it for a normal user except getting totally confused.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 07:33   #1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Waypoint is a waypoint (wpt entity in the GPX file). Route point (rtept entity in the GPX file) may, but does not have to, also be a waypoint. All the navobjects with the exception of track points (trkpt entity in the GPX file) do have a GUID in GPX produced by OpenCPN. The GUID is the primary identifier used to see if the object already exists or not. Two objects with the same GUID can not exist at the same time.
A waypoint may also be included in zero to many routes. A route point may not exist without a route though (= must be included in 1 to many existing routes and unlike a waypoint, it is also for example deleted with the last route it is part of).

Now that we have produced a lot of text describing it, does anybody understand and actually find this information worth something? I honestly do not see much use for it for a normal user except getting totally confused.

Pavel
Awesome. Thank you Pavel! I actually understand all of what you wrote.

Should we confuse others with this and have it as a 'Technical Summary' in the Documentation?
Old 16-03-2018, 08:52   #1356

Technical: Routes, Waypoints, Navobj, Gpx and Guid

also here
Export and Import Gpx Files
Old 20-03-2018, 06:39   #1357

Here is Something that do not seems to be correct and I can not find were to correct the time zone other than in the harmonic file. Korea & Japan stations should not go to daylight time on the 11 of march but remain on KST (or JST). It remain on 9h on GMT (or UTC if you prefer). Anyone can check this?
I would appreciate to have a reply!
Best Regards
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 19:08   #1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Here is Something that do not seems to be correct and I can not find were to correct the time zone other than in the harmonic file. Korea & Japan stations should not go to daylight time on the 11 of march but remain on KST (or JST). It remain on 9h on GMT (or UTC if you prefer). Anyone can check this?
I would appreciate to have a reply!
Best Regards
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/south-korea

Daylight Saving Time (DST) Not Observed in Year 2018

South Korea currently observes Korea Standard Time (KST) all year.
DST is no longer in use.
Clocks do not change in South Korea.
The previous DST change in South Korea was on October 9, 1988.
Try selecting a different year below.
Which countries & states use DST and which do not?
Old 21-03-2018, 04:44   #1359

Clocks do not change in South Korea.
The previous DST change in South Korea was on October 9, 1988.
Try selecting a different year below.
Which countries & states use DST and which do not?[/QUOTE]

All this has been done, it is the zone time info in OpenCpn that need to be adjusted. The same file in Wtides works correctly; so that it is surely in the zone time file that needs adjustment for Korea and Japan.
Have a good day.
Old 21-03-2018, 10:20   #1360

If that so, Something must be change in the zone time file to adjust to today.
Best Regards.
Old 25-03-2018, 05:47   #1361

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Hi

Hope someone can help as i am struggling with the openseamap charts.

I downloaded the files from the wiki site for magellan and caribbean, in both cases i add them to my chart folder where my others are (cm93), when i do a full rebuild etc and open cpn, all the openseachart outlines are there in red as expected, but as i zoom in , nothing happens, no chart details. The cm93 charts are still there and work fine.

The piano keys at the bottom do appear as i zoom in and are in blue, when i click on them, the relevant area highlights in red, but still no detail. In fact if i zoom right in, the red outlines of the chart areas stay, but no detail.

Using 4.8.2, unpacked the openseacharts with latest 7-zip, tried direct from server too, no luck either. Also removed the cm93 charts from chart folder in open cpn so just seamap charts, no luck there either.....

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 06:01   #1362

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Hi

Hope someone can help as i am struggling with the openseamap charts.

I downloaded the files from the wiki site for magellan and caribbean, in both cases i add them to my chart folder where my others are (cm93), when i do a full rebuild etc and open cpn, all the openseachart outlines are there in red as expected, but as i zoom in , nothing happens, no chart details. The cm93 charts are still there and work fine.

The piano keys at the bottom do appear as i zoom in and are in blue, when i click on them, the relevant area highlights in red, but still no detail. In fact if i zoom right in, the red outlines of the chart areas stay, but no detail.

Using 4.8.2, unpacked the openseacharts with latest 7-zip, tried direct from server too, no luck either. Also removed the cm93 charts from chart folder in open cpn so just seamap charts, no luck there either.....

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Charlie.
Which files? From which wiki site?
I would say OpenSeaMap is a waste of time and effort in case you have any other charts, especially real charts with soundings, but we sure may have a look at them.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 06:48   #1363

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Charlie, putting all your charts under a single folder & telling OpenCPN to load everything under that folder *should* work, but it's clumsy. Maybe better to put your charts in different folders & then load those folders individually. It would certainly give you more flexibility. I have enough KAPs that if I tried to load them all, I'd seriously overload OpenCPN.

Also, when you mouse over those 'piano keys' they should not only highlight the area in question, but a popup should tell you where OpenCPN thinks that file is located. That might help you debug the situation.
Old 30-03-2018, 00:11   #1364

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, been sailing!

Thanks for the advice, i have decided after a few more attempts to just forget these openstreetmap sea charts, probably not worth the hassle!

Charlie
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:15   #1365

Boat: Hunter Pilot 27
OESENC charts on openCPN/Android

Hi

Wonder if someone can help me a little. I want to install OESENC charts on an Android device (Nexus7) I have installed the latest version of openCPN (4.1.1028) and the OESENC installer from Google play (V 1.7.1423)

On the installer I select "Install SOENC PLUGIN" but I see a brief message about sending a zip file but then all I get is a message saying "Awaiting confirmation" but nothing else. If I look at the plugins in OpenCPN I do not see any OESENC plugin.

Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks

Rich
richlear is offline   Reply With Quote