Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 19:17   #1246

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
Thank you for looking at this. I had a about 10 hangs over a 20 day cruise on 4.6.1 a month ago. We have been sailing a week now on 4.4 with the same pattern and charts and it's been rock solid.
I can upgrade to 4.6.1 when we get back in 3 weeks and run any test that may help debug the issue. Maybe there is a debug flag that can be set to get a trace?

Please see attached for my opencpn.ini file.

Thanks
Martin
Martin,

I have run OpenCPN for a few days with your .KAP files and this opencpn.ini file. I could not get OpenCPN to crash or freeze. I guess it must be something related to your setup. Possibly it is related to the NMEA data input stream. Or it could be related to a video driver. I read another thread about someone saying that Windows 10 Creators update is having some video problems. Not sure if that could be related to what you are seeing or not.

I would wait a bit and see if a new update to O comes out soon. I don't know if it will help or not but it's possible that it will.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 13:47   #1247

I would like to start by saying that the Chart Dowloader plugin is genius

I installed all of the available XML files and have been able to DL all NOAA RNC and ENC charts as well as the US IENC, and the various "country" charts available.

Has anyone noticed that Germany inland waters links appear not to work? The plugin asks if I'd like to open a browser to manually DL, but I don't read German, and I could not get any links on the page to actually DL anything... So it looks like both the automagic and tha manual methods don't work... Is that a German thing?

All the others worked fine Genius Feature - thanks for making plugins like this!

CaptPat
captpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 13:57   #1248

I was wondering if anyone had done a "world" Basemap upgrade with Google Earth data? I have already DL'd the high-res basemap polygon set and installed it in the program directory (GSHHG) - and also installed CM93-2011 entire world dataset - and those together produce a very much improved basemap rendering - however I'm guessing there's also a Google Earth-derived version that might also have topographic rendering of major land features and underwater features as well (for instance google earth's rendering of the continental shelf or shallows in the carribean etc) - This is all for aesthetics when zoomed far out - not for any navigational purposes

BTW - I tried the Blue Marble KAP file and it appears distorted in opencpn 4.8 - when i zoom out all the way (1000 nm scale on the simple scale), I get the high res tan/brown basemap, and then as i zoom it the Blue Marble KAP is displayed but it does not display correctly - I have a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB graphics card and get frame rates from 30 to 90 generally - OpenGL enabled, Win7 64, CPU is Core i7 920 at 2.7Ghz with 12G of RAM installed = should not be a texture/RAM issue...

Best, CaptPat
Old 07-09-2017, 13:59   #1249
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

That's the result of manual downloads from ELWIS, not via the Downloader - so the (zipped) files are there:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2017-09-07 a las 22.55.33.png
Views:	54
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	155615  
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 14:19   #1250

OK, I see 29 manual DL links for the various German charts. Presumably there is some issue with the XML for the Chart Downloader...
CaptPat
Old 07-09-2017, 14:23   #1251

OK, a "good" DL link for the first file is:
https://www.elwis.de/Service/Inland-...017-06-19_1_12,

However the Plugin and the "open a browser" method attempt to access this link:
https://www.elwis.de/Service/Inland-...016-12-20_1_12

that seems to be part of the problem...

Best, CaptPat
Old 08-09-2017, 05:52   #1252

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

captpat,
The other part of the problem is the end of the URL (date/time) which gets changed each time there is an upgrade, which then breaks the Chartdownloader links.

Perhaps you have an idea how to fix that?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 16:38   #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
captpat,
The other part of the problem is the end of the URL (date/time) which gets changed each time there is an upgrade, which then breaks the Chartdownloader links.

Perhaps you have an idea how to fix that?
I do not know how the XML file is generated... Was that authored by the plugin author? Is there a standard that everyone could follow so that the DE site could be upgraded in future to conform to a standard others are already using...? I am not aware of what maintenance the other XML files need to interface with NOAA etc... But certainly interested in learning more about that...

Best, CaptPat
Old 08-09-2017, 17:41   #1254

The NOAA produced xml files were what we based the downloader catalog file format on. Ideally each chart supplier would adopt the NOAA format and keep URLs of the catalog files constant. But it appears there is a lot of NIH in the various hydrographic offices. And there is no recognized standard.

We convinced Netherlands to adopt some of these ideas. I have no idea if Germany would see the wisdom in being like everyone else. Probably not.
Old 08-09-2017, 17:47   #1255

NOAA keeps their xml files up to date and they have not broken the chart downloader for many months.

For most other countries someone has to manually update the xml files in GitHub. You can sort of tell which catalogs don't need manual maintenance by looking at the URL. GitHub hosted catalogs are maintained by Pavel (nohal) mainly. But we need others to help with that. Catalog URLs that point to public government web servers generally are maintained by that government and just "work" with the downloader. Some governments are actually trying to maintain compatibility with OpenCPN because a lot of people in those offices use OpenCPN. Other countries seem to not know there are robotic chart downloaders.
Old 09-09-2017, 00:59   #1256
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Some governments are actually trying to maintain compatibility with OpenCPN because a lot of people in those offices use OpenCPN.
Dan,

we will contact the German Inland Water Agency which runs ELWIS.

Which government you are aware of using OpenCPN widely? Would help to get in touch for opening chart portfolios for OpenCPN.

Hubert
Old 09-09-2017, 03:10   #1257

Hubert,

Some years back the Netherlands were moving to online charts but they kept using a rare variety of file compression and always changing file links. I emailed them and had a nice discussion with their hydro office. The person that replied to my query immediately understood the issue and said they would try to get their IT department to find a solution. In a couple weeks they had changed to a file format and constant URL that made their free online chart files compatible with OpenCPN chart downloader. The email response said they knew users and coworkers were using OpenCPN and appreciated my query. I was pretty surprised in a good way.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:55   #1258

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Hubert,

Some years back the Netherlands were moving to online charts but they kept using a rare variety of file compression and always changing file links. I emailed them and had a nice discussion with their hydro office. The person that replied to my query immediately understood the issue and said they would try to get their IT department to find a solution. In a couple weeks they had changed to a file format and constant URL that made their free online chart files compatible with OpenCPN chart downloader. The email response said they knew users and coworkers were using OpenCPN and appreciated my query. I was pretty surprised in a good way.
Exactly what I was thinking I sent them a feedback to their webmaster - in English though - but, I recv'd the following (automated) reply from the site... Perhaps the EU folks could pile on
Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

ihre Anfrage ist im ServiceDesk eingegangen.

Ticketnummer: 20170909-88145
Service: $dlzit_servicename$Betreff: Feedback zur Website www.ELWIS.de (oid: 42412)

Sie können auf diese E-Mail antworten.

WICHTIG: Damit die Antwort dem richtigen Ticket und Bearbeiter zugeordnet werden kann, darf der Empfänger und der Betreff der E-Mail nicht verändert werden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Ihr ServiceDesk
Ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch...

Best, CaptPat
Old 09-09-2017, 07:26   #1259
bcn

So you might get an answer - not before Monday I would suppose.

We lodged an inquiry as well adding some more questions about available charts and to a different direction.
As this is not a disfunction of the ELWIS system but a feature request from our side.

So we shall see....

Hubert
Old 12-09-2017, 15:36   #1260

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Wouldn't it be wonderful if MET office websites could be influenced by our letters to them to keep the weatherfax urls constant, rather than rotating date/time at the end?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote