Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 04:34   #1111

Boat: Piewiet 1000, 10 m
Re: Help / FAQ

Thank you Gerhard for your advice. I will try to notify the programmers.
I'll have to look how to notify them. Have not done that before.

Paul
Paul Munnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:43   #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Munnik View Post
Thank you Gerhard for your advice. I will try to notify the programmers.
I'll have to look how to notify them. Have not done that before.

Paul
Bugs are reported under the "Tracker" tab on the top of most pages of the OpenCPN.org website.

This bug was reported as Flyspray #2000. It is fixed in OpenCPN 4.4.0 which is being tested at this time. This Beta test version is available on the download page at OpenCPN.org now. It is likely to be released as the Stable Release in a week or two when it will replace Stable Release 4.2.0.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 06:06   #1113

Boat: Piewiet 1000, 10 m

Hi .Paul.

I have downloaded the 4.4 version and found this icon problem also in the 'Boundery Point Properties' window.

Paul
Paul Munnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 10:57   #1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Munnik View Post
Hi .Paul.

I have downloaded the 4.4 version and found this icon problem also in the 'Boundery Point Properties' window.

Paul
I have reported this bug in the Tracker at OpenCPN.org. It is Flyspray #2109 "Boundary Point Properties Icon list extends below screen" under the OCPN Draw plugin project.

.Paul.
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:07   #1115

Boat: account closed
android as slave

quick background:
been cruising since 1997 and using the old vnc suite on a pc.

have a pc display at helm and one at navstation.
use the navstation display to do radar mapping/route mods/planning
use the helm display for active nav.

what has worked well for us is to have two separate displays running
with the helm taking waypoint, nav, and route data from the nav station
as a slave over nema183. Allows different scales and doesn't upset the helmsman when I plan an avoidance maneuver on the plotter as the scale and position would
go all wacky on them.

i have just purchased opencpn on android and set it all up.
works great, only the android seems to ignore NEMA sentences re: route,xte,bearing, and waypoint from the helm pc which has the ships gps. It won't even seem to display routing data unless I set a route on the android itself. (the data is getting there as verified by wireshark and the nema debug window on both ends so its not an issue with setup).

I really don't want to have to shutdown both units and copy configs around or fiddle with export and import while underway to avoid a container ship on the horizon and still keep off the reef. Is there anyway to force the android to display at least the current waypoint and bearing information to the helm via the UDP encapsulated NEMA the opencpn mux is sending?
the info is getting there, its just nobody is listening.

realvnc works fine, but the problem there
is still the two displays are slaved so
a zoom or shift on one is echoed on the other, i am really looking for a UDP tethered solution rather than a video solution.

Any neat tricks with autopilot sentences or the like to make the helm android or even pc respond?

yelling at the wife from below seems to work just like the old days, but after 18 years of cruising, we tend to ignore each other too much for that
to be effective anymore.

thanks for a great and open source product

k
kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 02:18   #1116

Boat: Najad 34

k....
If I understand your requests correct it's not implemented but may be in future. Compare this discussions: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2168209
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 13:23   #1117

Hi,

I'm trying to view a GRIB file overlayed on my chart but they keep being displayed in the wrong area on the chart, any ideas? My computer is offline and not connected to any gps data. I'm downloading gribs from Lake Michigan but they keep showing up near North Carolina. Is it even possible?
gollywobbler69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 14:07   #1118

Ignore previous post please, I got another file to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollywobbler69 View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to view a GRIB file overlayed on my chart but they keep being displayed in the wrong area on the chart, any ideas? My computer is offline and not connected to any gps data. I'm downloading gribs from Lake Michigan but they keep showing up near North Carolina. Is it even possible?
gollywobbler69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 12:47   #1119

Is there a way for the track af different Ais targets to show in different colours aswell as own ship track in other colour than the purple in default

Sent from my SM-G920F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 14:58   #1120

Boat: Valiant 42

No, there is not. It would require a context sensitive menu and an editable property dialog for tracks. There isn't such a thing now. You can suggest this for a feature request at opencpn.org tracker or use this link:

http://opencpn.willkamp.com/
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 02:51   #1121

Boat: Tartan 37C

Existing Waypoints in Routing

I'm using OCPN 440. I frequently use existing waypoints in routes. In recent releases of OCPN the tolerance when selecting existing waypoints seems to be very tight and I frequently 'miss' the waypoint when clicking the next route point. Is there a way to increase the buffer area around waypoints when picking them when routing?

Thanks
Kevin
sailingjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 21:55   #1122

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft

Hi,

New to the forum have a trawler in the San Francisco Bay area.

Are there technical experts that one can pay to give support?

I tried searching and poking around, but didn't find such. I'm currently using Coastal Explorer but am contemplating moving to OpenCPN with radar overlay (likely Simrad). I'm aware of the OpenCPN concept and understand forums can be very helpful. However, configuring everything is fraught with problems and I'd hate to have to rely mainly on my own expertise.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Armand
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:43   #1123

Armand,

You will get free help by posting questions in the OpenCPN forum section. I suspect the free help you will get rivals paid help with a commercial product.

If you want someone to install your system for you that is a different matter. I think nearly all OpenCPN systems are DIY. There may be marine technicians that have experience with OpenCPN. But really most hardware/configuration problems are related to network issues which any competent IT support person can handle.
Old 05-12-2016, 21:21   #1124

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft

Transmitterdan,

Thanks for the response. I will have no problem connecting everything but also know that you can run into unexpected issues and frustration can cause anxiety.

I have been totally impressed by the help from Coastal Explorer (their techs tell me that most of their questions have to do with various connection issues rather than the program itself). I for one, would be willing to pay somebody to untangle a mess I can't spend more time on.

Thanks,

Armand
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:14   #1125

There aren't very many connections that OpenCPN accepts. It accepts/sends data via Ethernet or serial and that's about it. It has debugging tools for viewing and recording the data it receives. So if you can make a serial port work and can set up IP connections then you have covered about everything OpenCPN can do.

OpenCPN only understands NMEA 0183 which also simplifies life.

The radar plugins "just work" because they understand the proprietary data packets coming in via Ethernet. So investigate and ask here which radar plugin is "best" and whichever one you choose should be ok.

I'm not trying to sell you anything. I just know that the support, flexibility and simplicity of OpenCPN make it very low maintenance if you have a few basic skills.