Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 05:28   #1051
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Help / FAQ

The NMEA0183 XDR sentence is a manufacturer dependent "transducer message". Every manufacturer handles it differently.

There is a discussion at SignalK about the issue:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...lk/Q3QnOATXxSI

and the resume is:
Quote:
Basically its a really good example of why we need SignalK :-) I think its safe to say that XDR is not standard in any useful way, each variant is it own format
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 17:55   #1052

Boat: Cooper 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Jurgen...
These sentences can be added to the dashboard plugin (a bit of programming needed, it's not just some sort of configuration), but first we need to know what they are and how they look from some sort of a documentation...

Pavel
It would be nice to add an option to the dashboard plugin to display a number from an configurable NMEA sentence. Configuration: label/title, NMEA sentence and a regular expression capture group to extract the number... something like that.

I'd be interested in working on this.

Other changes I'd like to see in the dashboard plugin:
- Allow configurable background color and remove the title bar. I'd like it to look more like a commercial LCD data display.

- I would like the dashboard to work in such a way that when there is user interaction with OpenCPN, it temporarily hides. 10-20 seconds later it pops back up.

It might also be nice to add a plugin to make the NMEA data stream available to other software on the computer. Probably would be platform dependent though. Then the above could be implemented in language X.
windsunrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 22:32   #1053
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsunrain View Post
It might also be nice to add a plugin to make the NMEA data stream available to other software on the computer. Probably would be platform dependent though. Then the above could be implemented in language X.
The multiplexer in OCPN does that already. Including filtering. Just go through the communication settings.

The other question is if the dashboard is the right way to implement a "glass cockpit" including for data not relevant for navigation like engine parameters or liquid levels.
In my opinion approaches like SignalK do fit better for this purpose - but as said, in my opinion.
Old 11-03-2016, 16:18   #1054

Boat: Cooper 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The multiplexer in OCPN does that already. Including filtering. Just go through the communication settings.

The other question is if the dashboard is the right way to implement a "glass cockpit" including for data not relevant for navigation like engine parameters or liquid levels.
In my opinion approaches like SignalK do fit better for this purpose - but as said, in my opinion.
Thank you for sharing your insights. I see that OpenCPN can read from and write to a TCP or UDP socket and the NMEA stream can be shared with a listener on the system through a port on localhost (or on a networked machine).

Maybe a useful listener would be a public message queue which could have multiple subscribers, so OpenCPN doesn't need to make multiple TCP/IP connections. But it would platform or language dependent.

I think I'm going to play around with this a little.

Michiel
windsunrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:10   #1055

Re: Help / FAQ open .jpg and .map files in OCPN

I have produced .jpg and corrresponding .map file with georeferencing info: I beliweve opencpn can open these - but how? the normal way of showing chart directory where both files are located does not seem to work. many thax for help!
bebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:49   #1056
bcn

Bebox,

please go through the relevant pages of the manual:
Chart Formats | Official OpenCPN Homepage

You will find answers for your doubts there.

OCPN does recognize raster charts in the BSBv3 format (.kap)

Hubert
Old 12-03-2016, 08:27   #1057

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Help / FAQ open .jpg and .map files in OCPN

Hello Bebox,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebox View Post
I have produced .jpg and corrresponding .map file with georeferencing info: I beliweve opencpn can open these - but how? the normal way of showing chart directory where both files are located does not seem to work. many thax for help!
No, OpenCPN do not open ".map" file.

The best way is to use GE2KAP to make ".kap" file

See here : Sample
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 03:21   #1058

Boat: 40 ' blue water cutter

Just compiled Opencpn release 4.2 and installed it on a new computer running ubuntu 14.04. Unfortunately the language selection window only shows english. Hence there is no possible alternative language. Could this be a bug or what should I do to show up the language list?
dgondouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 04:48   #1059

Boat: Phantom 19

If you are not using the official packages (any reason for that?), apply https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/600

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 14:12   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgondouin View Post
Just compiled Opencpn release 4.2 and installed it on a new computer running ubuntu 14.04. Unfortunately the language selection window only shows english. Hence there is no possible alternative language. Could this be a bug or what should I do to show up the language list?

Oh my god .. finally I found someone with the same problem. I really did search the web for ages

OK - I have the same problem.

In the *.deb file the locales shall put to /usr/local/share/locale, and they are there. However OpenCPN seem not to find them.

PS: Of cause it is not an official package since I want to get this running on a Raspberry PI
I also fidled around with the ARMF ubuntu packages, but no luck - I can't install it. OpenCPN tells me that it depends on OpenCPN-tcdata, however - when I try to install OpenCPN-tcdata, it tells me that it depends on OpenCPN ... what a fail

If I compile it myself it knows only "English (U.S.)"
kutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 14:22   #1061

Boat: Phantom 19

Same answer: https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/600
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 14:41   #1062

Ahhh - Sorry!

I did read the link, however i didn't notice that there was a change in the source attached

... compiling - even it's a Raspberry PI 3 - it takes a bit longer
kutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:37   #1063

Just got the laptop (Asus F555L i3 Windows 10 - only 4gb ram at the moment) and done my first OpenCPN install with a BU-353.

Straightforward install, USA Charts went straight in, all seems very good.

I'm impressed, a big well done to everybody involved.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:56   #1064

Boat: Shamrock Club-Racer, 30'

I'm refitting my boat planning to use OpenCPN as chartplotter, which in turn is supposed to command a Simrad TP22 tillerpilot. As I still have a spare "IN" connection on my NMEA0183 multiplexor I was wondering if rudder angle information is useful to OpenCPN, will it get me a 'better' course? Currently I don't have the hardware to generate the $IIRSA sentence and would like to know if it would be worthwhile to add?
jpuype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:07   #1065
Marine Service Provider

jpuype...

OpenCPN does not consider rudder angle in its autopilot control loop.

For reference, there are really two control loops at work here. The "inner" loop is controlling whether the ship is following the commanded heading. This uses the rudder angle reference and heading reference, and is performed totally by the autopilot hardware.

The "outer" loop is performed by OCPN, and attempts to keep the ship on the commanded rhumbline course. This algorithm uses crosstrack error as the loop error term.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote