Just to update, I managed to get OpenCPN
with GE back up and running like it used to on my home Win8.1 laptop
then today i spent 5 hourds doing th same on my Vista laptop
that I leave on my boat
. The boat
laptop is also running OK with GE, I got lucky and got to block Google Update before it interfered. that said what took the time was getting my Skype going on the boat laptop, because it would not let me sign in. Eventually discovered that Skype prevents you signing in IF you have not updated to their latest software
and somewhere back I had disabled auto updates of Skype. I had reset my password 3 times before i found that it was a deliberate act to stop me signing in until I downloaded the latest software
. Now I have money
invested in my Skype account, in paid subscriptions and Skype credits so being frozen out was irritating, however now it is resolved. I only need it really for when outside the USA these days as my US cellphone account with T-Mobil now gives me unlimited calling to the UK (I'm a Brit with family
back there) , to both landlines and cellphones, for a $!5 monthly add-on fee. .
But my real reason for the update is to thank all herewho gave me helpful advice.