Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 14:13   #796
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Help / FAQ

Bob,

the fallback to the BU-353 if of course an option.
But we are curious now what is wrong with the Garmin.

Just for the next time when somebody encounters the same/similar issue.

Try a little bit harder get your Garmin setup program and have a look.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 11:57   #797

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello all,

With O 3.3.1419 :

In the waypoint manager, I have a large amount of waypoints and I wish I could hide.

I'm forced to hide them one by one?

Is it possible to hide them with a single command after you have selected all.
(there is no button "Hide All" and there is no menu to do this)

I searched the opencpn.org website but I did not find any explanation to my question.

Somebody can help me?

Thank by advance.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 15:18   #798

I hope I came to the right place. I'm trying to get Dashboard to display VMG and True HDG but they are blank. The Dashboard does show SOG and COG. The little "This Leg" window does show VMG but I want to see it on the large digits of Dashboard. Any help would be appreciated.
dschaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 15:27   #799

Boat: Phantom 19

dschaal...
The dashboard shows data received from external sources, not OpenCPN internally calculated values.
Just in case you did not notice, you can change the font used for the values you are interested in in Toolbox -> User Interface - Fonts, Console Value (and Console Legend)

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2014-05-09 17:26:34.png
Views:	181
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	80806  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:41   #800
JBC

I hope the answers to these two questions are not included in this forum because I have spent the last few sessions searching for the answers. Apologies in advance if I should have found them.

Q1. The bearings are displayed in deg true. The help file tells me to go to Options, Display to change to deg magnetic, but there is nothing there, or anywhere in the Options menus, to change to degM. Can someone point me in the right direction? (no pun intended)

Q2. One function that we use extensively in sailboat race management, which is available in Nobeltech, is the ability to show a range circle around a waypoint. Is that function available in OpenCPN?

Thanks, Jim
JBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:59   #801

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBC View Post
I hope the answers to these two questions are not included in this forum because I have spent the last few sessions searching for the answers. Apologies in advance if I should have found them.

Q1. The bearings are displayed in deg true. The help file tells me to go to Options, Display to change to deg magnetic, but there is nothing there, or anywhere in the Options menus, to change to degM. Can someone point me in the right direction? (no pun intended)

Q2. One function that we use extensively in sailboat race management, which is available in Nobeltech, is the ability to show a range circle around a waypoint. Is that function available in OpenCPN?

Thanks, Jim
Jim
Q1: You are obviously reading the the beta documentation on line, not the help-file that is installed on your computer. I guess that you use version 3.2.2. Showing deg magnetic is only available in the 3.3 beta release, but will be a part of the next stable release.
Q2. No, it's not yet available.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:21   #802

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I'm having trouble keeping data flowing into OpenCPN from my Raymarine AIS650. Sometimes when I get to the boat an plug in my laptop everything works just fine. The data will keep flowing for long periods of time, more than 24 hours. However, if there is a issue with the computer, for example - it goes into standby mode, I can never get the data flowing again. Even restarting the computer does not help.

I am using Windows 7 Pro, Raymarine 650 with a USB cable, OpenCPN 3.3.1606. I have installed the driver from the CD that came with the AIS650.

The connection properties in OpenCPN are:

Serial
DataPort: Com3 AIS Class B Transceiver
Baudrate: 4800
Protocol: NMEA 0183 (grayed out)
Priority: 1
Control Checksum is ticked

When the computer goes into this state I don't see any data in the NMEA Debug Window. If I exit OpenCPN and start ProAIS2 I can see the AIS listed as Com3 AIS Class B Transceiver, but when I try to connect to it the response is just...Determining AIS Transceiver Type and does not connect.

The data flow problem persists if I restart OpenCPN, and if I restart the laptop.

I also have a Furuno GP-32. When I switch over to using this cable, I have a much easier time getting data flowing from this GPS, but obviously this only gives me position data. I'd much prefer to have AIS data.

I'm not sure if the AIS stops sending data, or it doesn't get past Windows to OpenCPN at some point.

My question is...how do I troubleshoot this problem? Has anyone written out troubleshooting steps that might apply?
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:31   #803

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven

The (hopefully) simple solution, or at least first thing to try is the baud rate. AIS transmits a lot of info and requires a baud rate of 38400. You need to set this in the OCPN connection page and then go to your device manager and set the hardware port to the same rate.

I've set up a lot of these and that's the thing I always forget until it doesn't work.

Good luck and happy cruises.
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 23:05   #804
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The Raymarine AIS650 is the Raymarine OEM version of the em-trak B100.

The connection issues are the same for the members of the familly - under Windows.

It seems that hibernation makes dropping the USB connection, but the programs connected to the AIS do not recognize this, holding the port.
That is why you see from OpenCPN or ProAIS that the port does exist and the program reports that somebody else is using it when trying to connect.

You have to leave the program(s)and to plug-off the USB for the AIS and power cycle it. Re-plug it and open the Windows program (OpenCPN or ProAIS).
Sometimes - I havn't found a pattern yet - you will have to re-start Windows.

And yes, as already mentioned, set the baud rate ot the port to 38400.
The AIS units are working at this speed.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 15:11   #805

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I set the port and the connection properties to 38400. However I still had to restart the AIS twice before I got it to connect. It did end up working, and stayed connected all day. Thank you for the help.

It would be nice if there was a utility program to correct this problem without the restarting of equipment.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 20:06   #806

Boat: Southern Cross 35
Re: Where to download OpenCPN ??

I attempted to download OpenCpn, but Norton automatically removed the setup program, saying it is a high risk. Any ideas? Thanks.
tmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 20:13   #807

Boat: Phantom 19

tmason...
Norton has always been pretty famous for false positives in detecting threats. If you downloaded from Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage there is nothing wrong with the installer. Just turn off Norton for a while and install OpenCPN.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 00:32   #808

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

usually the virus scanner is itself a virus
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 05:41   #809

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

For example, I have found when compiling climatology that Norton will just decide to delete the compression library that is required for the plugin to work. I then restore it and override the warning and next time I compile it does same thing. PITA. I have threatened to can Norton many times because it steals cpu and wastes time, but never have done so. In short I agree with Pavel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 05:42   #810

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

And sean of course

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote