Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:41   #391

Boat: 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
I use photoshop with the BSB import plug in Double clicking in a kap file opens the image part of the kap file. I also use the batch process in Photoshop to create contact sheets of a directory full of kap files.

regards

Richard
Thanks!I'll try that!or ,rather,I'll try to try that!-I haven't got Photoshop-just an old "Elements" ...
I'd really like to be able to drag-onto-shortcut like a picture viewer instead of using MapCal_2 where I need browse-to every time!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:06   #392

Boat: Dufour 35
Code:
#!/bin/sh
name=`mktemp`
bsb2tif "$1" $name
eog $name
unlink $name
This is how easy it is in Linux and Unix. I call this "kapview", and have the script in my $PATH and have associated .kap with this script. Clicking on a kap transforms it to a tif and displays it in eog (eye of gnome), just a frame no fluff. I use it all the time for a quick view of charts.
Come on you win buffs, it must really be as easy in win. Use "mspaint" instead for "eog" to start with, if there is no better program around. Photoshop seems like a terrible overkill for such a simple task.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Code:
#!/bin/sh
name=`mktemp`
bsb2tif "$1" $name
eog $name
unlink $name
This is how easy it is in Linux and Unix. I call this "kapview", and have the script in my $PATH and have associated .kap with this script. Clicking on a kap transforms it to a tif and displays it in eog (eye of gnome), just a frame no fluff. I use it all the time for a quick view of charts.
Come on you win buffs, it must really be as easy in win. Use "mspaint" instead for "eog" to start with, if there is no better program around. Photoshop seems like a terrible overkill for such a simple task.

Thomas
FOUND IT!fer windozeXP anyways...Seaclear WILL work.QUICK!I'm gonna try others later but this'll do.Seaclear somehow always manages to be useful,no matter how hard I try!

Tools,Folder Options,FileTypes,go advanced,edit...
"D:\KEEPERS\Navigation\PORTABLES\SeaClear\SeaClear _2.exe" "%1"

You might have to make newtype.There are better explainers!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:28   #394

Sorry to keep popping in and out...if I can't see actually see an advanced button per my description above,and per my choice of apps,I find it won't be a suitable app to double click and open kaps....SeaClear still wins.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55   #395

BsbImport works.I haven't paid for it yet.Can drag files into adobe.I'll stop because I'm cluttering OpenCpn.
Old 17-02-2011, 19:12   #396
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Postion and Cursor Decimal Places

Running Version 2.2 Build 1007, on Win XP

Just noticed that positions plotted, and also the cursor position as shown on the bottom of the window have a 0 in front of the tenths of minutes, i.e. a position such as 52 21.222 is shown as 52 21.0222.
Is it the program, me , or my OS, 5s there a f5x.
Cheers
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:38   #397
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Running Version 2.2 Build 1007, on Win XP

Just noticed that positions plotted, and also the cursor position as shown on the bottom of the window have a 0 in front of the tenths of minutes, i.e. a position such as 52 21.222 is shown as 52 21.0222.
Is it the program, me , or my OS, 5s there a f5x.
Cheers
That was fixed. Download Version 2.3.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 04:57   #398
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Thanks Dan, my fault, I'm using new version at home, and on boat. Took a copy of the CPN set up file to my work boat, did not realise it was older version, checked last night and found this out. Have installed new version and all OK
Cheers
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 06:06   #399
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Thanks Dan, my fault, I'm using new version at home, and on boat. Took a copy of the CPN set up file to my work boat, did not realise it was older version, checked last night and found this out. Have installed new version and all OK
Cheers
Cool. I'm proud of myself. Someone had a problem I could actually fix!

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 05:50   #400

Kapview.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Code:
#!/bin/sh
name=`mktemp`
bsb2tif "$1" $name
eog $name
unlink $name

Thomas
I have come up with an exe wrapper around the ruby script, slightly changed for win. Works on XP at least. No installation of anything, including ruby and lib-bsb, should theoretically be needed, just put the exe file in a suitable place.
What must be done is to associate .kap files with kapview.exe.
Explorer -> Tools ->Folder Options...->File Types find "KAP file" or use "New" to create a .kap entry. Mark .kap -> Advanced -> create action "open" (unless already there). Enter full Path to kapview.exe in the field "Application used to perform action".

Clicking on a Kap file should now, if things are working properly, display the chart as a .tif picture in the Windows Image and Fax viewer.

Download kapview.exe

Note that the little 10k script now weighs in at 500kb!

If this works as expexted I'll do the same thing for map2kap.

Thomas
Old 22-02-2011, 06:36   #401

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Help / FAQ

Thomas,
it's complaining about not being able to find F:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll here and not doing the "work"...
F: is a virtual cd-rom drive on my machine, so a bit hard to satisfy this demand
I love the way Windows complicate even the simplest stuff

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 06:53   #402

Pavel

I'm using "ocra", and after some more rtfm.ing it now seems that dependencies. external to ruby, are not included in the final exe.
"shimgvw.dll" is just part of the image/fax viewer. I have a new version on the same link compiled with C instead of F. It will be interesting to see if this works. Also....an installation of libbsb(bsb2tif) now seems necessary.

Thomas
Old 22-02-2011, 07:28   #403

Yeah!
with bsb2tif.exe in the same folder it works as expected. Does the full path have to be hardcoded? system32 should be in the PATH on every win system out there, so the dll hell should be able to provide the library no matter where the installation resides...

Pavel
Old 22-02-2011, 07:50   #404

Thanks
No hardcoding seems needed.
New version here kapview3.rar.

I have libbsb in my path, so no need to have a copy in the same directory as kapview. Perhaps even better, stick both libbsb and kapview in a directory that is in the path.
Thomas
Old 22-02-2011, 08:21   #405

I actually added it to the PATH as well so that I can view the KAPs in different folders. Maybe just the case on the XP Home running on this machine - there is no possibility to edit advanced properties of a file type and specifying the full path to the program to open the file without editing the registry by hand.
So, placing kapview.exe and tif2bsb.exe to a directory in your PATH more than recommended...

Correction of cagney's post: the link to the last version is http://opencpn.avnisoft.co.za/util/kapview3.rar

Pavel