Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 09:18   #1

Boat: Norseman 447cc
Help debugging plugin crash with Xcode

I have managed to get OpenCPN to compile and run properly using Xcode after sorting out the wxWidgets build. I am trying to track down the cause of a bug that is causing OpenCPN beta to crash when trying to use SailDocs to fetch GRIB data but when I run OpenCPN using Xcode to build I have no plugins listed. I can load charts and do everything else and I see the default plugins are properly built in the build tree and when I install the compiled code all of the plugins are there but I can't seem to get it to work in an Xcode environment. Is there anything special I need to do to get that working?

Also, how can I go about submitting some changes to the documentation for compiling on Mac? There are some not so obvious, at least to me, things that needed to be done to get the wxWidgets code to build properly and I'd like to contribute those steps.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:40   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Help debugging plugin crash with Xcode

What are you missing from the standard macOS crash report (when running one of the beta builds)? The one "OpenCPN crashed, would you like to inform or retry". "Inform" ....

Even when the crash happens in a plug-in, the back-trace is quite complete most of the time.

But perhaps you did already know all this. Then sorry.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:46   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
I have managed to get OpenCPN to compile and run properly using Xcode after sorting out the wxWidgets build. I am trying to track down the cause of a bug that is causing OpenCPN beta to crash when trying to use SailDocs to fetch GRIB data but when I run OpenCPN using Xcode to build I have no plugins listed. I can load charts and do everything else and I see the default plugins are properly built in the build tree and when I install the compiled code all of the plugins are there but I can't seem to get it to work in an Xcode environment. Is there anything special I need to do to get that working?

Also, how can I go about submitting some changes to the documentation for compiling on Mac? There are some not so obvious, at least to me, things that needed to be done to get the wxWidgets code to build properly and I'd like to contribute those steps.
Like this
Code:
nohalombp:OpenCPN nohal$ cd build
nohalombp:build nohal$ mkdir -p Debug/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns
nohalombp:build nohal$ cp plugins/grib_pi/Debug/libgrib_pi.dylib Debug/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/
or by modifying https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/b...art1.cpp#L6694 to load the plugin from <YOUR_BUILD_DIR>/plugins/grib_pi/Debug - better if you plan to modify the source a lot.

Regarding the build documentation you may post the changes you consider necessary here, I will review and apply them as needed.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:30   #4

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

I always create a symlink from the PlugIns directory to the build plugins directory:

ls -l Debug/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns
lrwxrwxrwx 1 kees staff 58 Feb 5 20:06 Debug/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns -> /Users/kees/git/OpenCPN/build-mac-xcode/plugins/
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 18:38   #5
Marine Service Provider

merrimac...

If you can build and run the core in XCode, then simply single-step through the code in pluginmanager.cpp that tries to load the plugins. Should be clear enough to figure out why it he not finding your target plugin, or if found, then failing to load it.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:03   #6

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Thanks for the replies, I managed to get that all up and running and I can see where it is crashing now. Details updated in the tracker and I changed it to the GRIB project.

Pavel, I'll get you the documentation updates that I wanted to make later.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug