Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 18:56   #1

Heading line

Hello. I want to thank everybody and just say what a great community this is and what a huge help this forum is. Im wondering if anyone has found an easy way to get a heading line? Im using a surface pro 4 and a cheap usb gps unit (actually I think it was recommended on this forum). Opencpn does everything I need for a backup system but I was curious if there is anyway to get a true heading line? Also anyway to get a swing indicator (rate of turn) rot?

Thanks
tugandbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 00:30   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Heading line

tug...
Heading line:
To get the heading line you need some compass data into OCPN like the NMEA0183 sentences HDT, HDM etc. The GPS course gives a course over ground, COG, and that's not all time the same as the ship's heading and consequently not used for the heading line.

Rate of turn, ROT:
First is this data mostly calculated by a gyro or a satellite -compass.
Seconds is, what I'm aware of, the ROT data for own ship not used by OCPN anywhere. It's though reported by the AIS type A target's detailed information. (AIS type B does not report ROT)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 09:20   #3

Yes, thank you Hakan...
I was hoping maybe somebody could make a recommendation or suggestion. I have been reading some about a unit from garmin called "steadycast" that i may try. The garmin is around $125 US dollars so relatively cheap. Reviews seem very positive but I wanted to hear if anyone had any specific input how it may have worked with opencpn. There is another combined gps/heading unit from lowrance called "point 1" that is around the $200 mark. Both are inexpensive options and i am researching for others before i try one. This system will be a backup emergency to rosepoint. Thank you.
Old 14-11-2019, 10:02   #4

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugandbarge View Post
Yes, thank you Hakan...
I was hoping maybe somebody could make a recommendation or suggestion. I have been reading some about a unit from garmin called "steadycast" that i may try. The garmin is around $125 US dollars so relatively cheap. Reviews seem very positive but I wanted to hear if anyone had any specific input how it may have worked with opencpn. There is another combined gps/heading unit from lowrance called "point 1" that is around the $200 mark. Both are inexpensive options and i am researching for others before i try one. This system will be a backup emergency to rosepoint. Thank you.
Both sensors you mentioned are only for NMEA2000 which OpenCPN cannot use directly. You will need something which translate NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 which is the only data OpenCPN understands.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 10:28   #5

Well another hitch!...I thought I had it made, haha. Can you recommend a device to translate or is that an undesirable way to go? thanks
Old 14-11-2019, 10:53   #6

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Heading line

Here’s a native 0183 heading sensor

https://www.boatersland.com/clpcl-nc...yABEgLt-_D_BwE
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 08:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugandbarge View Post
Yes, thank you Hakan...
Hi. Have you managed to get data from garmin steadycast to opencpn?
isarafis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 10:28   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
tug...
Heading line:
To get the heading line you need some compass data into OCPN like the NMEA0183 sentences HDT, HDM etc. The GPS course gives a course over ground, COG, and that's not all time the same as the ship's heading and consequently not used for the heading line.

Rate of turn, ROT:
First is this data mostly calculated by a gyro or a satellite -compass.
Seconds is, what I'm aware of, the ROT data for own ship not used by OCPN anywhere. It's though reported by the AIS type A target's detailed information. (AIS type B does not report ROT)
Thesse are the NMEA0183 sentences supported by OpenCPN
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...nmea_sentences

HDM HDT and HDG are supported. Also see Terminology

Please see this page of the Manual Options >Ship > Own Ship
At the top are two optional selections for showing COG and Heading vectors if you have the data available.

Incidentally I believe that the plugin Dashboard_Tactics will support SignalK and thus Nmea2000, which might help get the data into Nmea0183, depending on your setup.

BTW someone had trouble with the Clipper below, because it was not using standard sentences, I think, and I do not recall if it was solved. Perhaps do a search on this forum, or maybe a reader here knows.
Later: I think it may have been solved by using NmeaConverter.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head