Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58   #16

Re: GRIB Weather

Hi Thomas: THANK YOU for the heads up on NOT quitting OCPN while its minimized. I otherwise would not have known not to do that. Nope. Only 1 grib_pi.dll (238kb) in my OCPN plugins directory you described.
Mark Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07   #17

When I clock on some of the grib files I get a thin brown line across my chart (see picture attached) this is the only response I get to clicking on a grib file & it only happens with some of the files. Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grib1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	37292  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10   #18

The thin brown line Im speaking of is running diagonally across the bottom right corner of the above chart. It appears in different places when I click on different grib files & does not appear at all when I click on other grib files. It disappears when I close the Grib control window. Mark.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22   #19

Boat: Dufour 35

Mark

The brown line you are talking about must be an isobar.
I think that your problem is that you have zoomed in so far that you don't see any arrows. These are sparingly spread, as you can see from my screen dumps. Try to zoom out!

Name:	grib.png
Views:	192
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	37293

Name:	grib2.png
Views:	146
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	37294

Name:	grib1.png
Views:	152
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	37295

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49   #20

THATS IT!! Attached is a picture of my OCPN showing the GRIB wx. arrows! I think I was panned in too far. Also I think I was closing the GRIB control window thinking that the grib arrows would remain on my chart (like it does with Zygrib). It appears they dont. I should move my cursor around my chart with my GRIB control window open & the wind speed & direction will appear in the GRIB control window? Yes: the GRIB arrows are sparse but it seems like the GRIB DATA is ubiqitous. WOW! I think THIS DOES IT! Next question Is there anyway to activatee the tides, currents & wx(grib) data & have OCPN calculate the fastest real time course given these variables? I am SO EXCITED to have the GRIB data appearing in OCPN! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Mark.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51   #21

Did the picture of my OCPN WITH the GRIB arrows attach to my last message? I cant tell but hope it did.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26   #22

Boat: Phantom 19

Mark...
Good that you are set. There's no weather routing function in OpenCPN as of now, but Pjotr has something in the works, so sooner or later it will probably appear.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28   #23

Thomas: As Im making notes about how I use OCPN (particularly in light of what I learned from you) I cant tell you HOW MUCH I appreciate your help. Weather data is a huge factor in sailing and having this data integrated into OCPN is SO USEFUL. I SO APPRECIATE your assistance in getting this information integrated into OCPN. Thank you Again. Having this weather data displayed in OCPN makes a HUGE difference Thank You! Mark.
Old 12-02-2012, 14:54   #24

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I think that your problem is that you have zoomed in so far that you don't see any arrows. These are sparingly spread, as you can see from my screen dumps.
I do find them to be too sparingly spread actually, they should also adjust to zoom level really
Old 12-02-2012, 15:32   #25

Boat: Phantom 19

idpdn...
The resolution of the NOAA model is 0.5 degrees. Anything more that you can see in zygrib and the likes is just an interpolation of the values, but it's actually just an eye candy, not added value. Yes I would appreciate it, but but as it brings very little, it's pretty low on anybody's todo list.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:10   #26

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ward View Post
Thomas: As Im making notes about how I use OCPN (particularly in light of what I learned from you) I cant tell you HOW MUCH I appreciate your help. Weather data is a huge factor in sailing and having this data integrated into OCPN is SO USEFUL. I SO APPRECIATE your assistance in getting this information integrated into OCPN. Thank you Again. Having this weather data displayed in OCPN makes a HUGE difference Thank You! Mark.
Mark
Very good that the gribs works for you now.
Thank you, for testing OpenCPN, you have contributed to the project!
I have added a few thing in the grib plugin documentation, to cover the scenario that you encountered.
I have also made a note about the grib dialog ending up outside the screen and will raise that with "bdbcat" (project leader). once he is within WIFI range again.
A few other problems are already handled in the 2.6 beta development.

See Nohals post above regarding weather routing and the reason for why there are so few arrows.

University of Washington are actually producing mesoscale forecasts for your neck of the woods at a much larger ( down to 4 km) resolution than the GFS model, that is used for the common gribs. Try to google - "mm5 uw". I don't know if there are any gribs available from this project and if OpenCN are able to display them. Still worth looking into!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:33   #27

Thanks for the additional info.

I dont mind the GRIB ARROWS being sparsely spaced as long as I know that the GRIB control window displays the wind data wherever my cursor is.

Thanks for the additional info!

Mark.

Tags
weather