Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 18:05   #1

Grib plugin for Mac - Write and Send Email Config

I have been trying to get the plugin to automatically setup a query, connect to either grib services (zygrib or saildocs). Apparently the instructions for getting the mail server configuration is outdated. Is there somewhere that keeps this information up to date? I followed the steps on using terminal and just copied/pasted the commands in the same order, using a gmail account and their provided smtp account parameters. No dice. I would love to get this setup so I don't have to have Zygrib open, go through all of the steps in that program to save a file, then switch contexts just so I can view the plots on OpenCPN. I have no idea when the instructions were last updated so I can't tell which version of OS X these instructions support. Since I am not able to send a test email successfully, I feel like it's an afterthought even though the Write and Send Email feature is supported on OpenCPN OSX.
SeattleSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:26   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Grib plugin for Mac - Write and Send Email Config

I doubt you have done the steps for installing Sendmail/Postfix the correct way in OS X as described. Of course it is not user friendly since you cannot use the normal OS X Mail app. It is a nightmare for the average user this way.

Sadly no one ever has implemented a way to download grib data in the grib-plugin as in zyGrib where it is one step only once it was configured. It should not to be too difficult to do so because the zyGrib is open source.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:49   #3

How would I even know how to debug if it's working or not? I could copy and paste the console output, plus the edited files so you can see what I'm seeing.

Yes I think you're right that I didn't do it correctly, or otherwise it would work.

sudo gzip /usr/share/man/man1/{postalias.1,postcat.1,postconf.1,postdrop.1,postf ix.1,postkick.1,postlock.1,postlog.1,postmap.1,pos tmulti.1,postqueue.1,postsuper.1,sendmail.1}

^^ This steps fails due to file not found errors.

So maybe you could answer a few questions that others might be wondering...

When was the article written?
When you wrote the instructions, what version of OSX were you on?
What does the gzip steps accomplish?
Is there an alternative, like launching an email client window with the prefilled request formula? It seems like the best solution to get this working for most users who are not terminal and shell savvy would be to just allow them to choose which email application to launch with a new email message.
SeattleSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:21   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
It should not to be too difficult to do so because the zyGrib is open source.

Gerhard
Gerhard
You are right, zygrib software is free. But this is not enough. Zygrib connects to a server with is not free access.
JP

Sent from my D5803 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 16:18   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 35

I just setup an email client so I can test the weather routing plugin and it created the email to send, but there is no email address populated to send it to.
Basically I can't send it.
Any ideas how I can fix that?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRIBemailSS.png
Views:	189
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	108281  
Brown7477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown7477 View Post
I just setup an email client so I can test the weather routing plugin and it created the email to send, but there is no email address populated to send it to.
Basically I can't send it.
Any ideas how I can fix that?
The email address query@saildocs.com or gribauto@zygrib.org is hardcoded in the grib plugin. As far as I know the weather routing plugin does not work without the grib plugin. There are however different versions out there of these plugins which doesn't work together. Maybe that is the reason for your problem. After all it is not a good idea if one plugin depends on another one. It should claimed with the author.

Gerhard
Old 02-09-2015, 01:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSail View Post
How would I even know how to debug if it's working or not? I could copy and paste the console output, plus the edited files so you can see what I'm seeing.

Yes I think you're right that I didn't do it correctly, or otherwise it would work.

sudo gzip /usr/share/man/man1/{postalias.1,postcat.1,postconf.1,postdrop.1,postf ix.1,postkick.1,postlock.1,postlog.1,postmap.1,pos tmulti.1,postqueue.1,postsuper.1,sendmail.1}

^^ This steps fails due to file not found errors.

So maybe you could answer a few questions that others might be wondering...

When was the article written?
When you wrote the instructions, what version of OSX were you on?
What does the gzip steps accomplish?
Is there an alternative, like launching an email client window with the prefilled request formula? It seems like the best solution to get this working for most users who are not terminal and shell savvy would be to just allow them to choose which email application to launch with a new email message.
I have once checked these instructions with OS X Mavericks. It is however rather complicated and is sadly for the grib-plugin code the only way with OS X because the mail environment for OS X is different as for Linux or Windows. Furthermore this way to get grib data has no benefits and is even more complicate than using zyGrib because you have to prepare the receiving email attachment for use to OpenCPN.
So I better suggest to use zyGrib, tell zyGrib a directory where to store the data and make known to the grib-plugin this same directory. There is nothing easier then that.

Gerhard
Old 02-09-2015, 06:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Gerhard
You are right, zygrib software is free. But this is not enough. Zygrib connects to a server with is not free access.
JP
Seems not to be a great secret. The request is send to a php page where the request is formed to a valid NOAA request and then the NOAA data is send via this server.

Gerhard

Tags
email, plug, rib