Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 10:47   #1

GPSD works, but OpenCPN does not get a position

I am playing around with OpenCPN (tried both 3.3.1824 (beta) and 3.2.2) on my Fedora 20 system, and everything seems to be working, except the GPS connection. I want OpenCPN to connect to GPSD, and I have confirmed that GPSD works. That is, I can get the correct position using GPSD test programs such as xgps or cgps. I am also pretty sure that OpenCPN is configured correctly (see the attached screenshot). I can even confirm that OpenCPN is connected to GPSD:

lsof | grep opencpn.*gpsd
opencpn 3894 hakonrk 6u IPv4 2797099 0t0 TCP localhost:38139->localhost:gpsd (ESTABLISHED)

So, everything seems to be working perfectly, except that OpenCPN's GPS status icon shows just a red circle. Any ideas what could be the reason for this? Since OpenCPN gets the position from GPSD, it should not matter which GPS device I have, as long as GPSD supports it, correct? Maybe OpenCPN 3.2.x and 3.3.x does not support GPSD 3.9?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn_config.png
Views:	200
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	84529  
hakonrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:42   #2

Re: GPSD works, but OpenCPN does not get a position

I've been grepping the OpenCPN source, and it doesn't even look like it is using the GPSD API. Does OpenCPN attempt to speak the GPSD protocol directly instead of using libgps.so? It's hard to believe anyone would do this, but it looks like it's either that or that GPSD support has been removed without updating the UI.
Old 06-07-2014, 14:55   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

hakonrk...
After what we have experienced, it is hard to believe that someone not supporting just one particular distribution with one particualr version of GPSD actually is using libgps...
We just switch GPSD to produce NMEA in datastream.cpp:545, that's where you should probably start looking.
Is there anything that looks useful in the logfile?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 15:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
hakonrk...
After what we have experienced, it is hard to believe that someone not supporting just one particular distribution with one particualr version of GPSD actually is using libgps...
We just switch GPSD to produce NMEA in datastream.cpp:545, that's where you should probably start looking.
Is there anything that looks useful in the logfile?
Thanks, I wasn't aware that you could put GPSD in NMEA mode. I'll look into it later, but I just found out that OpenCPN does get my position if I let it connect directly to my Haicom HI-204III via /dev/ttyUSB0. It would be nice to have GPSD in between so that other programs could share the GPS device, but I can live with this for now.

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn