Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 09:49   #1

GPS USB OPENCPN....Help !!!

I purchased a GPS stick with the intention of installing it on a laptop so I would have a larger screen than my current 5" that I need to squint to make everything out........or glasses which I am constantly misplacing.

It is from a company called "officialnoaacharts"

My problem is:
I installed it and all seemed to be working fine then suddenly the screen went black, I could almost make out a chart but not very good.

I reinstalled it 3 times and still the same.

The odd thing is that when I right clicked on My Compter in the start menu, the drop down was completely black but if I scrolled down each choice was white.

This is way beyond my skill level, so maybe/hopefully I've just done something simple and it will be a simple fix.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: GPS USB OPENCPN....Help !!!

What is the type and specks of your PC - windows ? if so what version ?
Are you intention to use this PC only for navigation ?? or multi use ??

Your problem seems at first look to be a poor /& vrong vga driver but difficult to know for sure.

Would recommend to try to download the latest Opencpn for your operating system from Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

and try to start opencpn after installing. If windows, go to system-> decivemanager with your GPS plugged in. Look for crratd COM port and note the higest number, normally COM3. Go to opencpn menu/settings and choose connections. Add a new connection and chose serial. and mostly you will see your GPS as COM3. press apply and check "show NMEA debug Window. Do you see the NMEA stream with green letters in that window ?? Then everything is just fine. The latest opencpn has chart downloader included in the install so you can download all official nooah charts using the chart downloader. Be sure to enable the chart downloader in the plugins menu before going to charts->chart downloader.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 13:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
What is the type and specks of your PC - windows ? if so what version ?

Your problem seems at first look to be a poor /& vrong vga driver but difficult to know for sure.

Would recommend to try to download the latest Opencpn for your operating system from Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

and try to start opencpn after installing. If windows, go to system-> decivemanager with your GPS plugged in. Look for crratd COM port and note the higest number, normally COM3. Go to opencpn menu/settings and choose connections. Add a new connection and chose serial. and mostly you will see your GPS as COM3. press apply and check "show NMEA debug Window. Do you see the NMEA stream with green letters in that window ?? Then everything is just fine. The latest opencpn has chart downloader included in the install so you can download all official nooah charts using the chart downloader. Be sure to enable the chart downloader in the plugins menu before going to charts->chart downloader.

petter5.....I did download a new opencpn and it opened as it should except it isn't linked to the gps stick.

The instructions that came with the stick say to use port 10.

Here is a link to the site:
http://www.officialnoaacharts.com/tr...20shooting.htm

Maybe I just need to download a new opencpn fies and link the gps to it ?

I am not computer literate unfortunately.
Old 15-04-2016, 15:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Really, if your intention is to use opencpn for navigation, forget the software on the CD - you don't need it - uninstall evrything installed by the CD.

The only thing you need except for opencpn is the GPS

It seems to me that you are on windows, correct ?? Go to device manager and look for com ports. Witch com port do you see ? You will have to use the com port assigned to the GPS as input port in Opencpn settings. Also read my previous reply to you and reply to my questions, it will make it possible to help you.
Old 15-04-2016, 18:23   #5

Boat: Krogen 42

I would get my money back, buy a gps puck for $35, every thing else is free on the web and all will be current.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-04-2016, 21:40   #6

Quote:
What is the type and specks of your PC - windows ? if so what version ? Windows XP

I only intend to use it for navigation.

Quote:
Really, if your intention is to use opencpn for navigation, forget the software on the CD - you don't need it - uninstall evrything installed by the CD.

The only thing you need except for opencpn is the GPS Which is on the USB stick

It seems to me that you are on windows, correct ?? Go to device manager and look for com ports. Witch com port do you see ? You will have to use the com port assigned to the GPS as input port in Opencpn settings. Also read my previous reply to you and reply to my questions, it will make it possible to help you.

All I need to be able to do is discover why the OPENCPN images, plus others went black.
Old 16-04-2016, 02:48   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
All I need to be able to do is discover why the OPENCPN images, plus others went black.
Then you will have to provide information about your system so people are able to help you.

Please provide minimum:
  1. Type of computer - brand model, CPU - RAM -and if possible graphic adapter.
  2. Operating system windows version.
  3. Opencpn version.
  4. Is this computer working fine with other programs ?
Old 16-04-2016, 05:35   #8

Quote:
Then you will have to provide information about your system so people are able to help you.

Please provide minimum:
  1. Type of computer - brand model, CPU - RAM -and if possible graphic adapter.
  2. Operating system windows version.
  3. Opencpn version.
  4. Is this computer working fine with other programs ?
1) Toshiba Tecra- Intel Premium 2ghz - Vidia G-FORCE FX

2) Windows XP Service Pack 3

3) OPENCPN 3.2.0

4) Yes it works great with any thing else we used it for.
Old 16-04-2016, 06:32   #9

Boat: Phantom 19

1000 islands....
OpenCPN 3.2 is several years old, please upgrade to the current 4.2 version from Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 06:56   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
1000 islands....
OpenCPN 3.2 is several years old, please upgrade to the current 4.2 version from Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage.

Pavel
And mostly all other software you purchased with the GPS. I would advice to uninstall all software installed from the CD, find the driver for your GPS from the manufacturer web page and download the newest drivers for your GPS.
Old 17-04-2016, 06:03   #11

I upgraded OPENCPN to 4.2, but the manufacturer of the GPS software.........I can not find.

The program does not seem to be linking up with the 4.2 version.

The closest I can see is a website : http://www.officialnoaacharts.com/

And it does not seem to be very helpful as there is no help/support/contact info.

So right now I don't have a working GPS and the seller on E-Bay says he is out of the office until April 25.

The feedback on E-Bay is all positive, nothing about the charts going black.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????
Old 17-04-2016, 08:40   #12
Marine Service Provider

Go to windows device manager. Are there any question marks ? Look for com ports. Witch com ports can you see?, While still in the same picture, plug in your GPS to the system and wait a few moments -> do you seen any changes in this picture when plugging in the GPS? any new question marks ?

You need to locate witch com port that is assigned to the usb GPS and use this com port in opencpn settings-> connections.
Old 17-04-2016, 11:36   #13

It is using COM10 for all connections and the baud rate is 4800.

No ? with gps plugged in or not.
Old 17-04-2016, 12:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
It is using COM10 for all connections and the baud rate is 4800.

No ? with gps plugged in or not.
To be able to help you, you must read my questions and reply accordingly, if not, I do not have the information required to try to help you.
Old 17-04-2016, 13:01   #15

Quote:
To be able to help you, you must read my questions and reply accordingly, if not, I do not have the information required to try to help you.
I thought I was reading & replying........what have I missed ?

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn