Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 09:07   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
GPS Recommendation

Can someone recommend a GPS that works right out of the box. I bought a BU-353S4 because the reviews said it works with OpenCPN or (Openplotter) however I have spent HOURS trying to get it to work to NO eveail!

So... Is there a GPS that works?

I'm using a Rpi3b with the current (most stable) OS.

Thanks.
__________________

solosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33   #2
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,450
Images: 6
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Got myself a BU-353S4 for Christmas. Plugged it in and... nothing. The problem was that the COM port was set for 9600 baud (or maybe even more than that, I don't remember). The BU-353S4 transmits its serial data at a 4800 baud rate. Adjust the rate and voila! Everything works just fine.
__________________

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:13   #3
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

I installed two Garmin 5208s years ago and they worked (and still work).
__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 685
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Tested, works out of the box with openplotter and very cheap:VK172 G-MOUSE USB GPS/GLONASS USB GPS Receiver for Windows 10/8/7/VISTA/XP | eBay

Tested: BU-353S4 (yours) works out of the box with openplotter.

Tested: High end: Dual-nav from Digital Yatch:Digital Yacht - GPS150 DUALNAV™ GPS/GLONASS SENSOR

. really, I must admit that I have tested many GPS versions, and most works out of the box when run under Linux (openplotter for example) either in GPSD mode or as serial device. For example the VK172 G-MOUSE in the ebay link above was not immediately recognized when using GPSD but worked perfect as a serial device.

Some Garmin USB GPS versions need a little bit more fiddling so they might not be the best option if you are not experienced with linux.

I suggest that you try your VK172 G-MOUSE (Ublox 7020 chip) ( with /dev/ttyACM0 and 4800 baud - just confirmed the setting from a running openplotter 0.8 installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosail View Post
Can someone recommend a GPS that works right out of the box. I bought a BU-353S4 because the reviews said it works with OpenCPN or (Openplotter) however I have spent HOURS trying to get it to work to NO eveail!

So... Is there a GPS that works?

I'm using a Rpi3b with the current (most stable) OS.

Thanks.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 13:24   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Tested, works out of the box with openplotter and very cheap:VK172 G-MOUSE USB GPS/GLONASS USB GPS Receiver for Windows 10/8/7/VISTA/XP | eBay

Tested: BU-353S4 (yours) works out of the box with openplotter.

Tested: High end: Dual-nav from Digital Yatch:Digital Yacht - GPS150 DUALNAV™ GPS/GLONASS SENSOR

. really, I must admit that I have tested many GPS versions, and most works out of the box when run under Linux (openplotter for example) either in GPSD mode or as serial device. For example the VK172 G-MOUSE in the ebay link above was not immediately recognized when using GPSD but worked perfect as a serial device.

Some Garmin USB GPS versions need a little bit more fiddling so they might not be the best option if you are not experienced with linux.

I suggest that you try your VK172 G-MOUSE (Ublox 7020 chip) ( with /dev/ttyACM0 and 4800 baud - just confirmed the setting from a running openplotter 0.8 installation.
My BU-353S4 dosen't work? I can see the data using gpsd but somehow OpenCPN and OpenPlotter can't see it?
solosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 13:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 685
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Try serial conection and /dev/ttyACM0 at 4800 baud.

Disable GPSD ( be sure it is not checked on any connection.

Are you using openplotter 0.8 ? - 0.9 is in early beta and only for excremental use still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosail View Post
My BU-353S4 dosen't work? I can see the data using gpsd but somehow OpenCPN and OpenPlotter can't see it?
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 14:31   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 18,287
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Think if using an IP based gps signal solves your challenges.

There is no hardware issues nor driver required when the gps signal comes via an IP.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:56   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Try serial conection and /dev/ttyACM0 at 4800 baud.

Disable GPSD ( be sure it is not checked on any connection.

Are you using openplotter 0.8 ? - 0.9 is in early beta and only for excremental use still.
I'm using v.8... Yes... tried serial conection and /dev/ttyACM0 at 4800 ... still nothing?
solosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:58   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Think if using an IP based gps signal solves your challenges.

There is no hardware issues nor driver required when the gps signal comes via an IP.

b.
Humm... well presumably this thing works "out of the box" for some folks?
solosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 16:02   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 931
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

I run one iOS and one Garmin -- critical detail be absolutely sure they each have different chart datum !!

iOS navionics is the day and hourly planning / operating view.

Garmin is for "short game" 100 meter view and often particularly dialed in on ICW width.

Zero issues.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 05:27   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 18,287
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosail View Post
Humm... well presumably this thing works "out of the box" for some folks?
It very well should.

Joint the nmea AP with your plotter machine.
Look up your IP.
Indicate this IP in OpenCPN connections window.

No toying with COM or tty issues. No baud speed settings. Etc. Simple and elegant.

Things are simple unless we make them not so.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 05:28   #12
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 685
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Are you using openplotter 0.8 ?
What about your RPI powe supply, is it capable of delivery 2 A and are you using a proper cable for the power supply ? The RPI needs a
good quality power supply, if not you will have all kinds of problems when starting to connect USB devices. The original RPI power supply is of outstanding quality and is very cheap: T5875DV | 5.1V, 1 Output, Micro USB Level VI Plug In Power Supply, 2.5A, 13W Official Raspberry Pi Power Supply | Raspberry Pi

Does the inspector in openplotter show any NMEA traffic at all ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by solosail View Post
Humm... well presumably this thing works "out of the box" for some folks?
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 05:53   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 18,287
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosail View Post
I'm using v.8... Yes... tried serial conection and /dev/ttyACM0 at 4800 ... still nothing?
Solo:

Is ACM something Pi specific?

Devices pop up at ttyUSB on my Linux machines.

I have noticed that a USB puck does take a moment to kick in and while it is doing so, it is not sending any data to the terminal.

How I do it when I get lost I look up the startup log to see on which dev tty the puck attaches. Then I use this dev tty with cat to see what is flowing in.

THX.
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 05:57   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 18,287
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

You know if power is up by looking up the diode on the puck. (it has two modes - one for power up, another for data flow).

But I would not use OpenCN nmea inspector to find the signal. I would look up the startup log files on your Linux/Pi and make sure where the puck attaches. Then I would cat this one tty. I say this because OpenCPN can only use or show what is available on the machine, so you first want to know if the machine gets what OpenCPN is looking for. I mean, track this challenge from the source outwards and only one step at a time.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 06:11   #15
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 3,539
Re: GPS RECOMMENDATION?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Solo:

Is ACM something Pi specific?

Devices pop up at ttyUSB on my Linux machines.

THX.
b.
On our Olimex A20 ARM system you will find ttyUSBx and ttyACMx. Plus the physical serial ports with ttySx.
__________________

bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gps, men

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommendation for a good GPS Chart Plotter openseas Monohull Sailboats 17 08-06-2014 05:11
Portable GPS recommendation? Dod42 Marine Electronics 15 08-12-2012 10:47
How to get GPS data from Delormo LT-20 GPS and Raymarine (ethernet) on my desktop? velero OpenCPN 1 29-03-2011 13:36
Furuno GPS - 'GPS Week Number Rollover' bitman Navigation 0 25-11-2009 03:53
Need recommendation on chainplate fabricators By Invitation General Sailing Forum 8 20-03-2005 11:39

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.