Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2011, 12:52   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LIVEABOARD
Boat: Valiant 40 '
Posts: 19
Send a message via AIM to corlfoot
GPS Receiver BU-353

I am having a problem with OPNCPN reading my GPS. I had this working in the past and received good positions in Delaware Bay. We have shifted to Lake Michigan (via car) and my GPS no longer shows that the GPS/Nmea Data Stream Window is getting info. The Data Stream window in blank. I have moved the boat on OpenCPN to its location @ Douglas, MI and centered the map over it: then hit AUTO FOLLOW but get no GPS

I have gone to the GPS set up and redone steps 4-14 but still get no input in the data stream window. The GPS unit indicates that it is working fine by flashing a red LED.

How do I get it to input data into OpenCPN?

I'm not very techy when it comes to solving computer problems so please be very specific with guidelines.

Thanks for your expertise,

Don
__________________

__________________
corlfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 14:18   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,247
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

It sounds as if your BU-353 has slipped into Sirf mode. Search for and download SIRFdemo.exe. Use this program to reset the gps to NMEA mode.

Thomas
__________________

__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 15:43   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LIVEABOARD
Boat: Valiant 40 '
Posts: 19
Send a message via AIM to corlfoot
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Thomas,

The GPS is working fine in Coastal Explorer. Does that still mean that it has slipped into SIRF mode for OpenCPN?

Thanks,
Don
__________________
corlfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 16:33   #4
Registered User
 
HappySeagull's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B.C.,Canada
Boat: 29'
Posts: 2,395
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Corlfoot,
Can you find what "Port" Coastal Explorer sees the gps?And then set OpenCPN to the same in the GPS settings?You have already read the OpenCPN helpfile... and I don't have CE but most Nav apps are similar.
(FYI per above:You can only run the gps to one app at a time UNLESS you want to try "XPort" or another "Port emulator"...XPort can search for the gps for you and save some computer tunneling to identify the port.)
__________________
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 22:23   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LIVEABOARD
Boat: Valiant 40 '
Posts: 19
Send a message via AIM to corlfoot
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Happy Seagull,


Both Coastal Explorer and OpenCPN are using COM5 for reading the GPS. I just opened up Coastal Explorer and it wasn't reading the GPS. Shut that one down and went to OpenCPN--lo and behold-- it was receiving the GPS signal. Can't figure that one out!!

Thanks for any input.

Don
__________________
corlfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 00:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 4,323
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Are you using Windows 7??
__________________
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 05:13   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LIVEABOARD
Boat: Valiant 40 '
Posts: 19
Send a message via AIM to corlfoot
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

No, I'm using Windows XP on an Ausus mini laptop.
__________________
corlfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:31   #8
Registered User
 
HappySeagull's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B.C.,Canada
Boat: 29'
Posts: 2,395
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Quote:
Originally Posted by corlfoot View Post
Happy Seagull,


Both Coastal Explorer and OpenCPN are using COM5 for reading the GPS. I just opened up Coastal Explorer and it wasn't reading the GPS. Shut that one down and went to OpenCPN--lo and behold-- it was receiving the GPS signal. Can't figure that one out!!

Thanks for any input.

Don
gps can only be used by one app at a time,without a port emulator.
__________________
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fl
Boat: Gemini, 1993 #379 34' Shearwater
Posts: 266
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

You are in luck.

When you "suddenly" move the BU-353 a large distance, it must re-load the tables showing where the satellites will be at various times. On my BU-353, this requires either the START or COLDSTART when starting a new BU-353 or moving it a long distance.

When I got my BU-353 to replace a BU-303 that didn't work on XP, the 353 duplicated the 303 exactly - it didn't work either.

Lots of tracing and figuring and I found the GPSINFO program supplied with the GPS didn't properly work on Windows 7.

Called Globalsat - got a new version for Windows 7 - it didn't work either. They claim their version works - nonsense.

Anyway, plug in your GPS, load GPSINFO, see if a clean data stream is present and press COLDSTART. It will acquire in about 45 minutes if you have a clear view of the sky.

In the meantime, stay on XP. The inability to START my GPS if I move a lot or have some other problem makes it unacceptable for Windows 7.

I tried Cap'n, Coastal Explorer, and Open CPN - with no GPS data stream, neither of the 3 had any hope of telling me where I was.
__________________
Capt. Stuart Bell
Ranger R-25
stu@shearwater-sailing.com
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 18:44   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Aigina, Greece
Boat: Bavaria Vision 44
Posts: 88
Send a message via Skype™ to Kojiro
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
You are in luck.

When you "suddenly" move the BU-353 a large distance, it must re-load the tables showing where the satellites will be at various times. On my BU-353, this requires either the START or COLDSTART when starting a new BU-353 or moving it a long distance.

When I got my BU-353 to replace a BU-303 that didn't work on XP, the 353 duplicated the 303 exactly - it didn't work either.

Lots of tracing and figuring and I found the GPSINFO program supplied with the GPS didn't properly work on Windows 7.

Called Globalsat - got a new version for Windows 7 - it didn't work either. They claim their version works - nonsense.

Anyway, plug in your GPS, load GPSINFO, see if a clean data stream is present and press COLDSTART. It will acquire in about 45 minutes if you have a clear view of the sky.

In the meantime, stay on XP. The inability to START my GPS if I move a lot or have some other problem makes it unacceptable for Windows 7.

I tried Cap'n, Coastal Explorer, and Open CPN - with no GPS data stream, neither of the 3 had any hope of telling me where I was.
Press COLDSTART? Where is that?
__________________
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 19:56   #11
Registered User
 
HappySeagull's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B.C.,Canada
Boat: 29'
Posts: 2,395
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Kojiro, I think captstu means the "Coldstart" button in "GPSInfo" -the supplementary software he mentioned... If my memory serves, Sirfdemo (in Post 2) also has a "cold start" feature.
__________________
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 16:17   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LIVEABOARD
Boat: Valiant 40 '
Posts: 19
Send a message via AIM to corlfoot
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Thanks to all those who offered their experience and expertise for the Bu-353. We now have the unit working on Windows XP with OPNCPN and Windows 7 with CMAP. I did not do anything special to make this happen and Iīm not too savvy with electronic gadgets so I canīt offer any advise on how to make it work for others.

Don
__________________
corlfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 21:44   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Trying using xport.

XPort
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:00   #14
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Aigina, Greece
Boat: Bavaria Vision 44
Posts: 88
Send a message via Skype™ to Kojiro
I have had my dongle working on con port 3. Now however opncpn keeps telling me it can't connect, try closing all other apps. I do that and it keeps giving me the same message.

I run W7..

Anyone have any ideas how to fix?
__________________
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:04   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: GPS Receiver BU-353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post
I have had my dongle working on con port 3. Now however opncpn keeps telling me it can't connect, try closing all other apps. I do that and it keeps giving me the same message.

I run W7..

Anyone have any ideas how to fix?
Check the previous message. try Xport
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gps, gps receivers

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPS Receiver Australis Navigation 5 04-03-2011 12:54
GPS Receiver for a Macbook Pro Scratch OpenCPN 3 02-01-2011 07:56
GPS Receiver in Parallel bobs Navigation 17 06-03-2010 23:38
Settings for Fugawi 4 and GlobalSat BU-353 GPS?? ssullivan Navigation 4 02-01-2007 14:31
GPS receiver/antenna gosstyla Marine Electronics 0 23-01-2006 10:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.