Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 09:55   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
jonasaberg:

9600 baud is not a very big deal to program, and the code impact is localized. Clearly, though, it is of lower priority than crashes, rendering difficulties, and other 4800 baud GPS problems.

Tell you what: if we can anticipate a rapid turn-around on testing 9600 baud by you and others affected, I'll try to get some Beta code out in a couple of days. Are you able to compile from source?

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

I am currently cruising in the Sea of Cortez so I can't do any “fast” turnaround. I only have WiFi when close to a marina.

I seem to be having the same problem! My USB puck GPS only works on 9600 baud. I know it's working as 2 other programs I have see it, but OpenCPN does not, and I want VERY much to switch to OpenCPN!!! I LOVE the program!

I do not have the capability to compile.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:30   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Dave,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
9600 baud is not a very big deal to program, and the code impact is localized. Clearly, though, it is of lower priority than crashes, rendering difficulties, and other 4800 baud GPS problems.

Tell you what: if we can anticipate a rapid turn-around on testing 9600 baud by you and others affected, I'll try to get some Beta code out in a couple of days.
will testing with a GPS simulator like gpsfeed+ (gpsfeed+) also be OK?

If so, I will test it on Windows (7).
And up to build 530 I was able to compile from source ... !

Gunther
Netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 23:58   #18

Boat: Wasa 410
Dave,
Sorry for stirring things. I kind of think this is something that might pop up when 2.2 (or what ever the next stable release will be called) is released.
I agree with your view, crashes and ascertaining stability are more important to deal with.

However, more gismos are turning up using other baud rates than the old ones, for example this http://www.trueheading.se/files/docu...al_v1%206E.pdf
An AIS transponder. could be used to feed OpenCPN with its GPS Navigation data but it talks at 38400bd.
I also guess this transponder will not even work to use as an AIS feed with OpenCPN since it speaks at the wrong speed. (I havent read up on this, maybe I am wrong...)
I have one of these, but havent connected things up and tried it wth OpenCPN yet.

In my case, I have connected my built in proprietary navsystem Nexus(with a GPS) to my computers RS232 port. Then fed it to the control program for the Nexus sstem. The Nexus program has a virtual port that relays Nav info to the Navigation program and takes Autopilot info back for display in the cockpit.
The AIS transponder is fed to a second RS232 port and read by the Nav program on a second port. (I have used Seacler so far, no problem there since it can read info from several sources on several different ports)

I have so far not figured out if will work and how to wire this up for use with OpenCPN.

I have not compiled so far...tried a few hours half a year ago but gave up.
Gunthers offer seems great.

/Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote