Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 15:39   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
GPS Flakes Out

I know, I need to look through the threads first. I did and my search ability just didn't cut the mustard. Sometimes though after the 6th dead end, you cave in.

I am having a problem with GPS. It dies and won't come back. I call it flaking out. I'm using a BU - 353 after having used a ND-100S USB GPS that did the same thing.

I open OpenCPN and get the GPS data. Then sometime later it goes away. I quit the program and go back in and it doesn't help. I boot and it helps....occasionally. I get a message sometimes as well that says "could not open Port 3" , then it was Port 4, havent seen that one in a while.

I can fix this by booting again and again, but Id prefer not to do that if possible. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:55   #2

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: gps flakes out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post

I am having a problem with GPS. It dies and won't come back. I call it flaking out. I'm using a BU - 353 after having used a ND-100S USB GPS that did the same thing.
Several versions ago I had a similar problem but have solved that by using another program between the GPS and OpenCPN. I use NavMonPC for that and other purposes and all is well.

HTH, Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 21:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
Several versions ago I had a similar problem but have solved that by using another program between the GPS and OpenCPN. I use NavMonPC for that and other purposes and all is well.

HTH, Terry
I would like this all in one if possible, but Navmon is nice and it's worked solid from the moment I installed it. Which proves the drop out problem is in OpenCPN imho. Now what else isn't working. I've had to stop using GE, now GPS. They were causing BSOD's as well. It seems ( although a nice tool ) OpenCPN is very buggy. Thank you very much.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
Old 05-06-2012, 21:26   #4

Hey Terry, reading your blog page. very impressive.

Old 10-11-2012, 23:44   #5

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL
Re: GPS Flakes Out

I've had a similar problem on my samsung N140 running windows7 . the GPS indicator (green columns) stays on , but the boat icon freezes. From 30sec to infinite , and everything between. Only solution I foun was turning OpenGL off. seems to be working now.

Another problem wich allso disappeared was the screen update. Before disabling OpenGL, The screen would freeze alltogether until I press F11.

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps