Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 11:38   #1

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
GPS Connection Issue

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to get my OpenCPN 3.3.1006 (on an older XP Mini computer) to talk to my Garmin 76 (set on the Garmin interface). I've followed the connecting instructions in the manual and enabled several comports, but when I right click on the route that I want to send to the GPS, the dialogue box that comes up always shows the bracketed port for the Send to GPS as Serial:Garmin-USB irrespective of what is enabled in Connections, and I get an Error on Route Upload message.
The last 6 lines in the logfile read:
Find:Is the Garmin USB driver installed?
EnumerateSerialPorts() Found Garmin USB driver
Closing NMEA Datastream Serial: Garmin USB
Garmin USB GPS could not be initialized
Error Code is -1
LastGarminError is: SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces
Especially puzzling is that the other navigation program on the Mini (Offshore Navigator) connects with my Garmin just fine. And OpenCPN 3.3.1006 on my other computer (running Windows 7) also connects just fine.
As a separate (maybe) issue, after many attempts to fix the problem including re-installing the program (both the beta and 3.2.2) and rebooting the computer, I am now sometimes crashing when I right click on the route (I've sent Error Reports).
Any help would be much appreciated.
Jim
Puzzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 16:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: GPS Connection Issue

Jim....

Garmin USB interface does not depend on COM port setup. It is using USB directly.

Here is a hint from your log:
Code:
Find:Is the Garmin USB driver installed?
Do you see this line in your log?

Code:
"EnumerateSerialPorts() Found Garmin USB Driver."
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 16:49   #3

Dave:
As a technical luddite, I'm sorry , but I don't understand what you're trying to tell me. Yes, I see both lines. What do they indicate I should do? My reading is that the first line asks if the driver has been installed and the other line says that its been found. If found, I assumed it has been installed.
Against the possibility that it had been found but not installed, I went to Garmin's web site and installed their USB drivers.

The problem remains. The latest entries in the logfile don't give me
any clue as to what to do. They are:

Error Code is -1
LOGBOOK: 2013-10-28 23:28;19 UTC DR Lat 33.35800 Lon -7928200
Would appreciate any additional insights you can provide.
Jim
Old 28-10-2013, 19:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Jim....

Do you have the GPS receiver plugged in to the USB port when you start up OpenCPN on the XP?

Dave
Old 29-10-2013, 11:13   #5

Dave:
Yes. But, I've also tried connecting it after opening OpenCPN. Same unsuccessful connection result.
Jim
Old 29-10-2013, 11:47   #6

Boat: Dufour 35

Puzzled

Have a look at Data Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage towards the bottom of the page "Sending Routes and Waypoints to a GPS". The first paragraph reads
Quote:
The feature "Send to GPS", which appears in the right click menus for waypoints and routes and in the Route Manager, is not linked to connections. The upload port does not even need to appear in the Datastream connections list. Its a completely separate concept. For this reason users must define a separate upload port, that is remembered by OpenCPN. The port can be changed by clicking the button in the Route Manager.
It seems likely that you have missed this instruction.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 15:43   #7

Thanks, Thomas. I did indeed miss that instruction.

But, unhappily, that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Irrespective of which port I select, I get comparable Error messages when I hit Send, and comparable logfile entries, e.g.

Error Code is -4

Another thought just occurred: Is it possible that the installed Garmin drivers aren't compatible with my 32 bit XP system? And I should try to find 32 bit drivers?

Jim
Old 29-10-2013, 16:12   #8
Marine Service Provider

Jim....

I know this will not be very helpful, but...

Some Google searching leads me to think that there may be some other USB device driver in your system that is interfering with the Garmin device.

Which one? Heaven only knows....

You seems to be doing everything right, and this feature is known to work on XP systems in general.

So, my advice is to try to minimize the configuration of the target machine by removing drivers/software of non-critical nature, step by step.

Start by looking in Device Manager for any unexpected device entries...

Good luck
Dave
Old 29-10-2013, 18:25   #9

Dave:

Many thanks.

I'll certainly pursue your suggestion. But, I'm not sanguine about the prospects, largely because, as I noted in a previous post, I have another navigation program on that computer (Offshore Navigator) and it connects just fine with the GPS.

Despite these issues, I'm really very happy with OpenCPN. It works perfectly on my other Win 7 computer and I like having the option of vector charts.

I'll let you know if I finally solve the problem with the XP. Meantime, thanks again.

Jim
Old 30-10-2013, 08:04   #10

Boat: 29'

Do not choose "Garmin USB Driver" as your gps port. Try picking a port number.

My experience: the so-called Garmin USB Driver is so that your computer will recognize it and/or a memory card inserted in it, as an external drive, like a camera,cell phone or memory stick, but not as a communications port.

To see what I mean, go to "My Computer" in XP and look for the Garmin and /or it's memory card.

Try to discover what port # the other program is using or goto XP's Device Manager and click "Ports" + sign.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:10   #11

SUCCESS!!! Here's what I did. Uninstalled OpenCPN 3.3.600. Installed 3.2.2. Ran Offshore Navigator and saw that it was using COM3 to connect. (Actually exported a test route with Offshore Navigator.) Then opened OpenCPN 3.2.2 with the GPS connected and when I went to Send a route, lo and behold, it was now showing a COM3 connection, same as the Offshore Navigator connection. And the route was sent to my GPS successfully. Have no idea which one or combination of these steps did the trick. Don't care. It works.

Many thanks to Dave, Thomas and HappySeagull for taking the time to lend their expertise.

Gratefully, Jim

PS One more question. Is it possible to import routes from the GPS to OpenCPN?
Old 30-10-2013, 13:23   #12

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzled View Post
.. One more question. Is it possible to import routes from the GPS to OpenCPN?
Hi Puzzled,

You will find all responses to your question by reading the OpenCPN User manual : OpenCPN User Manual

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 15:20   #13

Serge:

Having read the manual diligently, I am aware you can create routes in Open CPN, save them to a GPX file, delete them from the chart, then re-import.

But, there's no information on how/if routes and waypoints resident in a GPS, but not created in OpenCPN, can be imported.

Did I miss something on that in the manual? Or do I assume correctly that its probably just not a viable option?

Jim
Old 30-10-2013, 15:38   #14

Boat: Dufour 35

You have to check your gps manual. Many units can export directly to a gpx file, that then can be imported into OpenCPN. If not Gpsbabel - GPSBabel | Free Science & Engineering software downloads at SourceForge.net is your friend. Gpsbabel can handle translations to gpx from multiple other formats.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:48   #15

Boat: 29'

First, try this.
Highlight (I mean click on a route or a waypoint ) and then click the "Send to GPS" button in O's Route Manager.
Then see if it showed up in the Garmin. A route might be in WPTS, not Routes.

just This works for me on a Garmin12xl.

No GO? I'm just guessing because I don't have a 76, but if it's it OLD?,a monochrome , not-colour screen? this next might have a clue...

Go into the Garmin's setup pages and look for Interface or something similarly incomprehensible and look for Garmin/Garmin instead of nmea (nmea is what you need to see yourself on the chart so set it back when you're done)
Then back to the Route Manager,select route or waypoint and "Send Route " button again.

worth a try.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps