Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2012, 07:06   #1

GPS and AIS

I have loaded my charts into OCPN, have a Garmin handheld GPS and have purchased a stand alone AIS receiver with USB output. I am hoping they all work together. The Garmin works great with my old Mapsource program but Mapsource doesn't support AIS. I also have N Route but that doesn't support AIS either.

My first observation is that when I loaded the AIS software, my computer assigned its COM Port to 21. When I looked at the OCPN AIS set up, it lists Com Ports 3, 8, 9 and Garmin, it doesn't list 21. Will the AIS work? Do i have to re-assign the AIS COM Port to 3, 8 or 9?

I am hoping someone has a similar set up and can help with how everything fits.

Randy
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 08:14   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: GPS and AIS

Randy, ....but the gps is working in O...right?

first off try typing PORT21 in at AIS "None". worth a try.
then a search of the OpenCPN forum
OpenCPN - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
try usb AIS to start. or the model
if that's no use, what Operating system...XP? Win7? Ubuntu? what "AIS software"? which AIS?..are you using Opencpn 2.5 or a beta? stuff like that .

You might end up trying one of the port emulators.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 16:57   #3

Boat: Hanse 385

I'd also be interested in knowing what USB AIS you got.
Are you using the handheld GPS as the GPS for OpenCPN somehow?
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 04:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
I'd also be interested in knowing what USB AIS you got.
Are you using the handheld GPS as the GPS for OpenCPN somehow?
I purchased the new Digital Yacht AIS receiver/antenna all in one unit - "Digital Yacht has launched a new AIS product designed specifically for use with PC based navigation systems. The new AIS receiver, called uAIS, connects via USB direct to a PC or MAC and comes with a 5m USB cable. Its integrated antenna makes it a true plug 'n' play AIS solution for your onboard computer."

Just got it yesterday, downloaded the drivers and will be testing it out today. i have been using N Route up till now as i didn't have an AIS

Randy
Old 19-05-2012, 05:48   #5

Boat: Hanse 385

Just had a look.. Very cool. Would you please post a review back here when you've had a good chance to play with it if you have time?

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 07:58   #6

Ok, yesterday it rained all day so i couldn't check it out. This morning, I connected everything to the laptop. OCPN did not work with the Garmin G76. i looked on the forum and found a thread about settings on the handheld but did not make those changes yet. i disconnected the Garmin and plugged in the AIS. I am at a residential dock, not in the open water but it picked up a signal from a boat called "Wine and Dive" about 1/2 mile away which was apparently docked. I figure when I get on the ocean, i'll get more targets. The only setting i had to make an OCPN was the COM Port. #21 was listed after i plugged it in (see OP). The ship is listed in a separate window that lists all targets boat name, MMSI, Course, SOG were all listed. i guess it works without a GPS connected. BTW, while both GPS and AIS were connected, N Route worked with the GPS and OCPN worked with AIS

Randy
Old 22-05-2012, 05:27   #7

update for anyone interested.... I purchased a new USB GPS antenna from WM and installed it instead of re-configuring my Garmin handheld. it worked like a charm and located the boat immediately. this morning, i plugged in the AIS to another COM port and it didn't show any targets. I went to Marinetraffic.com to see if there is anything in my immediate area and it showed 1 target about 2-3 miles away. I then unplugged the GPS to see if there was a conflict between the 2. No target. I'm thinking the line of sight is the problem and my AIS can't see the vessel from where it's docked. I need a target to make sure they are both working.

Interesting side note - in looking on the Digital Yacht website, I found a Technical Support Article written specifically for using the product with Open CPN.

Randy
Old 22-05-2012, 14:07   #8

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
update for anyone interested.... I purchased a new USB GPS antenna from WM and installed it instead of re-configuring my Garmin handheld. it worked like a charm and located the boat immediately. this morning, i plugged in the AIS to another COM port and it didn't show any targets. I went to Marinetraffic.com to see if there is anything in my immediate area and it showed 1 target about 2-3 miles away. I then unplugged the GPS to see if there was a conflict between the 2. No target. I'm thinking the line of sight is the problem and my AIS can't see the vessel from where it's docked. I need a target to make sure they are both working.

Interesting side note - in looking on the Digital Yacht website, I found a Technical Support Article written specifically for using the product with Open CPN.

Randy
Cool, what model gps antennae did you buy? I think I want one of those. I've been fumbling around with how I'm going to connect my garmin 152 to my laptop. This sounds like a better alternative. All I'm looking for are Long/Lat right? Who cares where it comes from.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 14:20   #9

Now for a good AIS USB receiver less than $100. I think I'm going to need a 4 ports USB mux. Next Radar. And a good all weather monitor

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
Old 22-05-2012, 14:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
Cool, what model gps antennae did you buy? I think I want one of those. I've been fumbling around with how I'm going to connect my garmin 152 to my laptop. This sounds like a better alternative. All I'm looking for are Long/Lat right? Who cares where it comes from.
I'm heading to Bimini this weekend so I got one at my local West Marine. they were the only "walk in" retailer that had them in stock. There are many options online but I want to us it this weekend. It is offered by the Rosepoint Navigational Software (but sold without the software) but works with any computer. $79.00, plug and play.

I do allot of night crossing to the Bahamas and there is nothing quite like seeing a huge cargo ship in the distance and not knowing which direction it is going, how fast and oh by the way... it's heading right at you.

Randy
Old 22-05-2012, 14:44   #11
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post

Randy
This one? http://www.digitalyacht.co.uk/files/...%20OpenCPN.pdf
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 14:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Yes, that is the tech article. Here is the receiver/antenna I purchased $245.00 on line
http://www.digitalyacht.co.uk/produc...ducts_id=11679
Old 22-05-2012, 16:01   #13

Found this AIS. Thinking about it, but I'd really like to see if anyone else has tried it first. I dont know If I inserted that correctly.

ACR Nauticast Receive Only AIS

Old 22-05-2012, 16:06   #14

Doesn't look plug and play though

Old 22-05-2012, 16:21   #15

found a splitter for $119

Smart Radio VHF/AIS Antenna Splitter

Probably find something cheaper, but just saying they're out there. I haven't looked for a solution to splitting VHF antennae signal before. I'm sure folks here know more about this than I do.

Tags
ais, gps