Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19   #271

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Google Earth Plugin

David...
Open opencpn.ini and delete the WindowWidth=xxx and WindowHeight=yyy lines in the [PlugIns/GoogleEarth] section

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:42   #272

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
David...
Open opencpn.ini and delete the WindowWidth=xxx and WindowHeight=yyy lines in the [PlugIns/GoogleEarth] section

Pavel
Thanks Pavel, after finding the correct ini file I have a GE window I can live with. In the meatime I reinstalled everything and the GE window handles are easily findable.

For novices (which includes me) you may find two .ini files, one in the "user" path and one in the "all users" path. Search peversely found he wrong one. I changed the search to "all folders and files" and found the second one.

On my machine, All Users/Application Data/Opencpn was hidden. These folders may be unhidden thru "Start/Control Panel/Folder Options" and select "Show hidden files and folders ON". You will also need to do this to see/send the .log file.
Old 24-07-2011, 18:13   #273

I've been using the "save view" feature of GE plug-in. I seem to consistantly get a blank space in the upper right hand corner of the image.
The image is here -" https://picasaweb.google.com/davidke...CI2f4vOKg5mETQ#" note the # on the end.

I have a second puzzle. The "save as gpx for getokap" seems to save 4 WP in gpx format. I'm not sure what this is for. I think that GEtoKap uses a jpeg file (from the first option) and then talks to GE to get the coordinates of the image. Except for the blank corner, it seems to work.
Old 25-07-2011, 03:44   #274

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

David,

I'm not sure why you are getting the square but to answer your question about the "Save as GPX for GE2KAP":

GE2KAP uses this save option to get the coordinates of the GE image, it then internally takes a snapshot of the GE window. It doesn't use the Save as JPG option.
Old 25-07-2011, 04:04   #275

David,
while I can't reproduce your problem, I think I know what it is. Less I know what can be done to fix it on all configs. To help me a little bit, could you tell me if you have the plugin window docked or floating (or if the problem is persistent always) and how fast is your machine?

Thanks

Pavel
Old 25-07-2011, 07:00   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
David,

I'm not sure why you are getting the square but to answer your question about the "Save as GPX for GE2KAP":

GE2KAP uses this save option to get the coordinates of the GE image, it then internally takes a snapshot of the GE window. It doesn't use the Save as JPG option.
Paul,
When I use the "Save as GPX for GE2KAP" (using the same folder as GE2KAP) and then run GE2KAP(v2.0.7), I get the error "ERROR: Unable to find the JPG file you saved in GE"
Old 25-07-2011, 07:04   #277

David,
any reason to use this very outdated version? As far as I'm concerned the current is 6.0.1 and it's the one the plugin targets for inter-op - without any problems as far as I can tell - Get it from Downloads » GDAYII.com - Super Slogan

Pavel
Old 25-07-2011, 07:12   #278

Quote:
David,
while I can't reproduce your problem, I think I know what it is. Less I know what can be done to fix it on all configs. To help me a little bit, could you tell me if you have the plugin window docked or floating (or if the problem is persistent always) and how fast is your machine?

Thanks

Pavel
Pavel,

My system is 2 ghz, and 2gb memory.

I think the window is docked; by this I mean that after I activate GE I haven't dragged the GE window. The problem is persistant although I never drag the window.

Keep in mind that I am using the "save JPEG" option.
Old 25-07-2011, 07:17   #279

David,
thanks for the info. I will try to invent some new technique to make sure the screen refreshes before I take the snapshot, but to be honest I'm going out of ideas...

Pavel
Old 25-07-2011, 07:39   #280

Quote:
David,
any reason to use this very outdated version? As far as I'm concerned the current is 6.0.1 and it's the one the plugin targets for inter-op - without any problems as far as I can tell - Get it from Downloads » GDAYII.com - Super Slogan

Pavel
Pavel,
I downloaded the latest vers of GE2KAP and the white area is smaller and a rectangle rather than a square.
Old 25-07-2011, 08:04   #281

David...
Interesting as GE2KAP has basically nothing to do with the plugin itself... What I can imagine like a cause is the position of the plugin window, the toolbar, the GPS status bar and the save dialog as they were involved in similar redraw problems before. I have to do some experiments on my other machines to see whether I can simulate the problem on some.
If you have some more time, could you please post a screenshot of your whole OpenCPN window with the plugin activated?

Thanks

Pavel
Old 25-07-2011, 08:23   #282

Quote:
David...
Interesting as GE2KAP has basically nothing to do with the plugin itself... What I can imagine like a cause is the position of the plugin window, the toolbar, the GPS status bar and the save dialog as they were involved in similar redraw problems before. I have to do some experiments on my other machines to see whether I can simulate the problem on some.
If you have some more time, could you please post a screenshot of your whole OpenCPN window with the plugin activated?

Thanks

Pavel
Pavel,
You are correct. The white space corresponds to the overlap between the toolbar and the GE window. I belive that I made the GE window slightly wider creating a rectangle where there had been a square.

In a skype conversation with phiggins I found out that you 1.open the GE window in Ocpn. 2. Position the chart to get the GE area desired. 3. Start GE2KAP. GE2KAP takes care of the rest. I had been clicking on the save view box in the GE window and then starting an old vers of GE2KAP.

Thanks for your help. Please don't spend a lot time on this as there is a work around.
Old 25-07-2011, 20:52   #283

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Pavel,
In a skype conversation with phiggins I found out that you 1.open the GE window in Ocpn. 2. Position the chart to get the GE area desired. 3. Start GE2KAP. GE2KAP takes care of the rest. I had been clicking on the save view box in the GE window and then starting an old vers of GE2KAP.
I'm obviously doing something wrong. I have the GE2KAP program installed (I think) but the application program is 'demo.exe'. Not sure if that is correct. When (per #3 above) I start 'demo.exe' with an Ocpn GE window nothing happens. The ReadMe.txt says I should be able to 'Save KAP'. Cannot find that option.

Terry

yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 21:13   #284

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
I'm obviously doing something wrong. I have the GE2KAP program installed (I think) but the application program is 'demo.exe'.
The app is called "GE2KAP.rex", you need REX installed to run it.

A window like this should come up:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GE2KAP-screenshot.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	29921  
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 07:43   #285

Is there any way to I change the "positiion" icon for Google Earth? I would prefer something smaller than a box with an "X" in it.

Tags
google earth