Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 20:13   #1

Google earth plugin

Hi, i have installed the google earth plugin and it works as it should within opencpn. But now when i try using google earth outside opencpn i get "cant find file". How can i restore google earth and still ust it with opencpn?

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 21:00   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Google earth plugin

Andy...
Does it say which file it can't find? A screenshot? The plugin does nothing that should cause that.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 04:06   #3

Pavel, did you see my post on a bug in the plugin?
FS#1393 : ship position display
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 05:55   #4

Baikal...
Yes, I have. What is it's connection with Andy's problem I don't understand though.
If you just hitched this thread to make sure your completely unrelated problem was spotted, then yes, it was - It's a problem in GoogleEarth I know about for years. No solution to work it around reliably found so far.

Pavel
Old 28-05-2014, 06:29   #5

It is clear! Thanks for the clarification!

Probably the best option for the plugin will display satellite images loading tile map services and keeping them on the PC to cache transfer opportunities
Old 28-05-2014, 07:13   #6

Baikal...
Technically for sure and not hard to do. The question is how long it will take Google to come with legal complaints

Pavel
Old 28-05-2014, 08:17   #7

When i tried GE, windows could not find "googleearth.exe. so i deleted the shortcut and made a new one. Works perfect.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 08:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Baikal...
Technically for sure and not hard to do. The question is how long it will take Google to come with legal complaints

Pavel
alternatively, you can use the data "mapquest" license allows them to use the material even for commercial navigation applications.

Still need more detail to understand the essence of the conditions of use map services Google, Bing, Yandex.
Perhaps there are exceptions for open source software
Old 01-06-2014, 03:16   #9

Hi, I had open CPN 3.2.2 given to me by a friendly cruiser. He included Google earth for the Fiji area. Combined with the GPS for the lap top gives superb reef and difficult entrance navigation. How do I down load Google for other areas. Please reply for a non geek
southseasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:29   #10

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Any chance of supporting this using mingw? This would allow linux and mac users to use this plugin (using wine) but so far I am stuck on trying to compile earth.idl using widl with seemingly endless errors.

Alternately, maybe we can build a system which just opens a browser of a specified size to a certain lat and lon, then screenshots it to quilt in the chart data that way and produce kap files.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:34   #11

Quote:
Baikal...
Yes, I have. What is it's connection with Andy's problem I don't understand though.
If you just hitched this thread to make sure your completely unrelated problem was spotted, then yes, it was - It's a problem in GoogleEarth I know about for years. No solution to work it around reliably found so far.

Pavel
If the plugin settings to disable display position and then turn the ship, the position reappears.
Maybe try to make Auto on and off this option after a certain time?
Want to hope that the plug will be finalized by.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseasailor View Post
Hi, I had open CPN 3.2.2 given to me by a friendly cruiser. He included Google earth for the Fiji area. Combined with the GPS for the lap top gives superb reef and difficult entrance navigation. How do I down load Google for other areas. Please reply for a non geek
southseasailor...
Geek or non geek, the response is the same, you have to learn a little bit about what you are actually using to get the best out of it.
What you got from your buddy is most likely a set of KAP charts created with GE2KAP. This plugin does something different - It integrates GoogleEarth itself with OpenCPN.
Have a look at Terry's excellent work covering the usage of GE for navigation http://yachtvalhalla.net/navigation/googleearth.htm
Once you get familiar with what's what and how to use it, you can create your own KAP charts for the areas you are interested in.

Pavel
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
If the plugin settings to disable display position and then turn the ship, the position reappears.
Maybe try to make Auto on and off this option after a certain time?
Want to hope that the plug will be finalized by.
Baikal...

Yes, a known "workaround". The problem is that GE stops reading the information we present it at any time and there's no way for us to know about it, so what is the time to reset automatically? Every minute? Every 5 minutes? Every hour?

Pavel
Old 01-06-2014, 08:27   #14

Sean...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Any chance of supporting this using mingw? This would allow linux and mac users to use this plugin (using wine) but so far I am stuck on trying to compile earth.idl using widl with seemingly endless errors.
Welcome to the COM hell. This thing is hard to get working correctly and reliably even on native Windows.
Quote:
Alternately, maybe we can build a system which just opens a browser of a specified size to a certain lat and lon, then screenshots it to quilt in the chart data that way and produce kap files.
The only technically sane solution serving our purpose is a local tile cache having a copy of the actual imagery from the servers for the areas we are interested in (easy, the algos to locate the tiles are well known). The problem is that it is not exactly how Google and other owners of the tiles think we should implement this stuff.
For Google imagery, there is a component which makes the "browser" approach possible and even legal and is supposed to replace the GE API this plugin uses. For me it does not solve the problem though as I want to cache data locally and access them offline, which the component makes impossible. And if I wanted the KAPs, there already is GE2KAP which suits the purpose more than well.

Pavel
Old 01-06-2014, 21:44   #15

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Sean...

For Google imagery, there is a component which makes the "browser" approach possible and even legal and is supposed to replace the GE API this plugin uses. For me it does not solve the problem though as I want to cache data locally and access them offline, which the component makes impossible. And if I wanted the KAPs, there already is GE2KAP which suits the purpose more than well.

Pavel
Are you able to run ge2kap on linux? First, I cannot even find the full source code to the program, secondly the installer in wine doesn't work.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google, google earth, plug